Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
(02-12-2022, 11:32 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: A few other thoughts:

I think a better big wing and mobile centre like Capella, Wood or Holmes should be top priority. Assets should go for a real difference maker, but we only have ammo for one of those. Too soon to say who could be available, depends a lot on final result of the season.

Maxi and Powell will be showcased a lot. Lets hope they survive the season without injuries. This could make them interesting trade assets as expirings. Rebuilding teams could fetch some draft assets at TDL for them. Even without depth behind them, it should be easy to find or trade for a cheap back-up replacement on either position. 

Two factors that could make trade easier: 
- Would Dinwiddie play good enough so we can convince a PG needy team he can be their starter? Paying 18 mil for a back up is too much, Mavs need to find a cheaper alternative long term.

- Can we convince someone THJ can be their starter? (same as with Dinwiddie - paying 20 mil for a back-up is too much).
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 10:15 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1...2135753731

There is a double screen we are running lately where a big (Powell and Maxi have done this) sets the first screen and rolls to the middle of the lane.  As Luka goes around the second screen, the big pins the man who switched on him and Luka has a clear path to a layup.  I could see something like this being very helpful to SD.

The counters to this are a dig from the corner defender (Mr. .571% is waiting there of the three) and for the guy covering the roll man to overplay to the outside of the lane (leaving things open for a pass to the big.
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 11:32 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I don't know if it is this exact construct, but I think something like this is the idea.  

A few other thoughts:  

* The TPE is good until 7/31, so we are able use it at the draft (June 23) and during free agency.   

* Even if we clear up 23, I'm not sure we can do 25, 27 and 29 yet (too lazy to look).  We can do 22/25/27 after the draft pick is made.

* Maxi is non-guaranteed if decision is made prior to 7/3/22.  Powell is fully expiring for 23/24.  Both might be better money savers than SD and RB.

* Green might be a casualty in this.  I think he has late first round value.  I love the way he defends and don't want to lose him.  

* I don't think this is the plan, but BYC on Brunson on a deal starting in the $18mm-$20mm range can be overcome fairly easily.

* Because DFS is not signed, he can be traded in the new NBA year.  Again, probably not the plan unless the player you are going after plays his position.

The more interesting question to me is what is our biggest need.  It is easy to look at Powell/Maxi at C and point to that, but the position requires a certain amount of mobility.  Big plodding shot blockers need not apply.  As much as we love DFS, he's probably middle of the pack as a PF.  Bullock is starting now and your deal just traded him away.  So, is a returning wing what we need?  Does Brunson as outgoing get you in the conversation for Lillard?  Since Luka is basically position-less, you can deal for just about any position.
You say it better than i can. This is it though. Luka is position-less and all possibilities are open. Anyone can play with Luka. We could just be opportunistic and go best player available. Just an all around two way player. 

Good point on the FRP’s and TPE too. Of immediate importance is using the TPE and the 22 FRP. I’d like to see us use the TPE to pick up an asset from a tax paying team where we take on an expiring contract. Then turn around and package: TPE asset, 22 FRP, and Green for best player available on draft night

We would still be set up to do ‘25, ‘27, ‘29 the following summer
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 07:57 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Tim Cato had an article about the trade.  He thinks Dinwiddie is a 15-20 minute per game player.  Said he doesn't think he will be play a lot with Luka.   If you can coach him into an incredibly direct bench scorer, this could work.  But also mentioned if he is the player he has been for Washington, he could see him falling out of a playoff rotation mid series.  Mentioned his trouble getting to the rim after his surgery.

Thinks Bertans is a 10-20 minute guy if effective as a stretch 4.  If he isn't, he'll end up like  Nicolo Melli did last season.  

Not a negative article, talks about both sides of the trade.

Sounds like fair assessment to the trade tbh
Like Reply
I have couple of THJ ideas for more flexibility moving forward. 

Lakers for Nunn (if he opts in) and THT. Nunn is a capable back up guard on a cheap deal. THT is a waste of money, but still young so some rebuilding team later might see some talent in him. Certainly more interesting for a rebuilding team than THJ. 

Another option could be Philly with Green and Korkmaz. Green expiring is easier to use in a TDL trade than Hardaway.

Holmes is an obvious odd man out in Sacramento and they could use some more shooting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
While they are competition for Jalen, the Knicks have some interesting center options.

-Robinson doesn't think he'll get resigned.  Not sure what he'll command on the open market.
-Noel fits in the TPE.  The last year of his contract is a team option effectively making him an expiring contract.  Letting Robinson go may make them inclined to keep him.
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 11:54 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: TPE

I sincerely doubt this will be used, as we will be already deep in tax. I rather spend assets for someone making way more than the TPE
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 12:10 PM)omahen Wrote: I sincerely doubt this will be used, as we will be already deep in tax. I rather spend assets for someone making way more than the TPE

I look at the TPE as a possible enhancement to what you are suggesting.  We use the 125% rule for the star giving up whatever we give up AND use the TPE to take back an additional contract the other team may not want.  Yes, it is a lot of money for Cubes, but if a star is really on the table, you pull ever lever you have.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, omahen
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 11:32 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Does Brunson as outgoing get you in the conversation for Lillard?  

Can you attach 4-5 FRPs to the offer?  I love you Dan and your are a smart dude, so don't take this the wrong way.  Our pie-in-the-sky ideas have cursed into always getting the inverse.  haha
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
^ Good point

Was just about to say Brunson + all the picks is the only realistic route I see to a major upgrade this offseason.

I dont think Dinwiddie or Bertans are tradeable in a good deal until the summer of 2023.  Even as matching salaries, they have way too much bad money owed to them this summer.

More likely the Mavs try to get a center upgrade like Richaun Holmes this summer and bide their time until these new guys arent albatross contracts and someone becomes available.
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 12:51 PM)SatnamSingh Wrote: ^ Good point

Was just about to say Brunson + all the picks is the only realistic route I see to a major upgrade this offseason.

I dont think Dinwiddie or Bertans are tradeable in a good deal until the summer of 2023.  Even as matching salaries, they have way too much bad money owed to them this summer.

More likely the Mavs try to get a center upgrade like Richaun Holmes this summer and bide their time until these new guys arent albatross contracts and someone becomes available.

It's where I'm at.  Assuming we are resigning Brunson Burner, I think we are locked in until our '23 pick conveys.  We'll make some Josh Richardson/Bullock type moves along the way.
Like Reply
So Davis has 9 fingers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIfY_PrZp5M

Well at least video makes him feel like Klay Thompson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNFBHrkZkN8&t=287s
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 12:54 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: So Davis has 9 fingers?

Farming accident.  It's on his shooting hand too which makes his stoke all the more impressive.  I'd forgotten about his ACL injuries.
Like Reply
Shit I had a brainfart.  Thought NY had our 2022 pick and we'd be home free after that.

Looks like we are stuck to me until summer of 2023 

Cubans comments seem to say the same about how next year will be luxury tax hell and after that we'll have some flexibility.
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 12:57 PM)SatnamSingh Wrote: Shit I had a brainfart.  Thought NY had our 2022 pick and we'd be home free after that.

Looks like we are stuck to me until summer of 2023 

Cubans comments seem to say the same about how next year will be luxury tax hell and after that we'll have some flexibility.

$107 committed in '23-24, but that doesn't factor in Dorian's extension, Jalen's new contract (assumed), assumes Dinwiddie's, Bullock's and Green's options are picked up, and leaves you with question marks on Powell and Maxi.  Some flexibility there but a lot of question marks to filling out the roster.

Our '22 draft pick is super important.  We need to nail it and get another solid contributor on a rookie contract to backfill Jalen since he'll be getting big money.  With Dorian getting paid as well, we have zero high level contributors on cheap contracts.
Like Reply
Bertans can be an amazing shooter.

His story is simple.  He got hurt before the bubble so he went back home to Latvia.  He signed his big contract when he was still over in Europe.  He was in Europe/away from USA for a long time.  Then when he showed up for last season, it's like he had forgot to play basketball and did not give a single shit.

No idea if a trade will rejuvenate him.
[-] The following 3 users Like SatnamSingh's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, StepBackJay
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 01:10 PM)SatnamSingh Wrote: Bertans can be an amazing shooter.

No idea if a trade will rejuvenate him.

Just as a reminder...

He's .571 from the corner three THIS season

He's .426 on three's in the 8 games where he's gotten 20 minutes or more (better the one game he got 30 minutes) THIS season

He shot .410 from three the entire month of December (a month he averaged 16 minutes a game) THIS season.

No guarantees obviously, but my guess is we'll see a great effort to get him back in a consistent rhythm for about 8 minutes a half.  I'll be curious to see what the five man data for SD, Green, Bertans, Maxi and (anyone) looks like a few weeks from now.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • burekemde, Kammrath, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 01:33 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Just as a reminder...

He's .571 from the corner three THIS season

He's .426 on three's in the 8 games where he's gotten 20 minutes or more (better the one game he got 30 minutes) THIS season

He shot .410 from three the entire month of December (a month he averaged 16 minutes a game) THIS season.

No guarantees obviously, but my guess is we'll see a great effort to get him back in a consistent rhythm for about 8 minutes a half.  I'll be curious to see what the five man data for SD, Green, Bertans, Maxi and (anyone) looks like a few weeks from now.

Yep he still knows how to play basketball. He probably wanted out of WAS though....who wouldn't?
Like Reply
The trade is a big "meh."  Sure there is some reasoning behind it, and after 36 pages, i has been extensively debated.  At the end of the day, the deal just literally does nothing of consequence for the Mavs in the short term, long term, etc.  

I just wish the Mavs would value draft picks.  But when it comes to trades, Cuban might as well be Oprah.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...3606876164
Like Reply