Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
(02-11-2022, 10:38 PM)audiosway Wrote: This is probably not going to be a popular thought. And I say this as someone who absolutely LOVES Jalen. I don't think they should pay him. They have leverage with him right now. Simply because he has said he wants to stay in Dallas. If he will take a reasonable deal you do it. But, if he has a lot of suitors which I think he will you get involved in a S&T to get better fitting pieces.

He's one of the few assets they have. The benefit you have with Kidd is that he can coach up an average to above average guard to look good with Luka. But, if they can get say a wing that is on the level of what Brunson brings at guard now you have DFS and a wing to play the 3/4 positions. It just opens things up considerably. Just my take.

The only way you are going to get value on a S&T for Jalen now is if the team is cap strapped.  New York fits that description but the Piston have a ton of cap space.  And I don't think a S&T at this juncture is going to give much value back.  And I don't think Jalen should take a discount.  This is his first and maybe last crack at generational wealth.  Beyond that, he's earned it.  That's coming from me, someone who really didn't like him his first three years.

I do share the thought that he is more limited than his regular season numbers show as I think better teams will be able to put the clamps on him and abuse him defensively on the other end, but the Mavs just don't have a lot of better options at this point.  I do think the upside of Luka/Jalen is probably Dame/CJ, but that's better than nothing and it's not like we have another Jalen on a rookie contract waiting in the wings.  Windhorst did mention that he hears a lot of teams talking about Jalen, more so than any non-superstar that he can remember.  It's also a weak free agency class.  Jalen improves every year.  The $18-20m numbers don't scare me as much anymore.  I judge contract value on what it would take to move him and in Jalen's case, I think he'd be easy to move and certainly a nice piece to add to a bigger trade should the opportunity ever present itself.

Jalen, Dorian and Luka is a fun core to cheer for.  A trio we watched grow before our very eyes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | WAS - by Kammrath - 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | WAS - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | KP to WAS - by cow - 02-10-2022, 02:38 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - by cow - 02-11-2022, 10:52 PM