Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
(02-11-2022, 05:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't think we know whether this was Cuban or Harrison, but I agree with this sentiment. 

I do think this deal is the result of trying to merge both of those goals. And, I guess I can see how that would piss some people off, especially (but not limited to) those who weren't overly eager to send KP on his way in the first place.

I imagine that those people are feeling like 
1) they didn't get "off of KP" far enough 
AND
2) the rotation players they got aren't going to help
SO
3) WTF was the point?

The included pick is par for the course for Cuban.  He barely values FRPs, much less SRPs.

I'm not sure everyone wanted to get off of KP.  It was obvious to me but I'm wrong a lot.  I'm sure there are mixed emotions there.  And if you didn't want to get rid of KP, I'm sure the return he garnered is a very cold shower.

The rotation players, grossly overpaid as they are, will probably help.  This team is thin, thin, thin.  Players like Mellie helped last year when we traded for Reddick.  

The thing I come back to is "what the hell is the plan?".  

While I don't think it was smart, I don't blame the Mavs for the KP deal.  A better front office doesn't do that but I think almost everyone was jazzed about getting KP (the price was insane though).  I also don't really blame them for giving him a max contract, they were pot committed at that point.  I also don't blame them for Luka and KP not fitting.  The only thing I'd be critical of is how cautious they were with his injuries.  He probably missed a dozen or so games that he wanted to play in.  Would that have made a difference to the outcome?  Doubtful.  

After this offseason, we'll be committed to Luka, Jalen (hopefully), DFS, THJ and Bertans long term.  You'll have Powell and Maxi expiring and Bullock and Dinwiddie as a rotational piece.  Everything else is pretty meh unless Josh develops a jump shot in the summer.  We will also have our draft pick.  What are the odds that player is on our roster to start the season and what are the odds we make a good selection if he is?  What's the upside of that roster?  To me, it's the same place we've been in for the past two years.  5-8 seed and can make maybe make it to the second round.  You don't have enough assets to make a trade until after that 2023 pick is conveyed.  So we are probably in for two more season, spinning our tires in the same lane.  

I think a lot of us have ideas how to fix things but the issue is core competencies of a front office.  I posted this in another thread, but how would you grade the Mavs on the following:

-Drafting
-Asset Management
-Recruiting
-Trading
-Developing/Retention

To me, the only do the last thing well and are various degrees of bad at everything else.  Nothing in the Nico era has shown to be any different than the previous regime.  The second round pick added to this last trade gives me that impression and if we use our '22 pick to dump a contract, that will paint the rest of the picture.

If we do give Jalen a huge contract, it's going to be really interesting to see who's patience runs out first.  Cuban paying the tax for current roster makeup or Luka's on a non-contending playoff squad.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | WAS - by Kammrath - 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | WAS - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | KP to WAS - by cow - 02-10-2022, 02:38 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - by cow - 02-11-2022, 05:49 PM