Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
(02-10-2022, 07:12 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Let’s ask Luka also about RC then. It is not as if RC is infallible.  Plus I really don’t want to blame RC given all we learned after he left about the total dysfunction here. Who knows if RC was even implementing what he wanted or trying to appease Luka. 

We did lose recently to OKC and Orl with KP out.  So I would not agree with a blanket statement that this team is better off without him. 

The problem with KP is that he never merited the unicorn tag and he seemed to buy into it too. However this year I saw a lot more cuts from him to the basket and a lot better defense than last year. Look at his numbers before his injury. Yes you can point to losses but the numbers he was putting up are not happening without any talent. He was probably overpaid for a 3rd star but the problem is now we are back to one legit starting talent that most GMs will agree upon.  Our defense did not get any better with this trade and not much in terms of any immediate financial upside either.  

Yea KP had his flaws but he had his strengths too and in a league where the playoffs come down to top heavy talent , we took a step backwards today.  We now need to find a 2nd level star and a 3rd level star.

I think that is where we disagree. I just don´t see KP as a 2nd or 3rd level star. Would argue that Brunson is more likely to fill that role than KP ever was. Mavs losing two close games doesn´t change that when the overall body of work is as big as the Mavs without KP. 40-28 without him over the last 3 seasons. Or more recently 9-3 since new year. Including the "best" wins of the season against the "best" teams in the league (Chicago, GS, Memphis, Philly).

Only brought up RC to emphasize that this isn´t a recent development. Concerns about KP´s impact and role aren´t new. That´s why many of us wanted to trade him at the last deadline or in the summer. Mavs decided to swallow the pill and move him today.

Maybe the Mavs aren´t better but I don´t see a scenario where losing KP makes them worse. I am not happy about the return but it just confirmed what I already thought. League isn´t buying into the hype or into his numbers. Other teams aren´t blind they are seeing the same things that we used to complain about.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | WAS - by Kammrath - 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | WAS - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie to DAL | KP to WAS - by cow - 02-10-2022, 02:38 PM
RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - by dirkfansince1998 - 02-10-2022, 07:22 PM