Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
(02-15-2022, 06:59 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: No way in any universe that Luka didn't sign off on this trade. 

Taking a nap. lol

I don't think he's making demands or calling the shots whatsoever but this is a player's league and this is Luka's team. Luka traded KP just like KD traded Harden.

I am quite confident KP would still be here if Luka wanted him here.   Maybe they got along fine, but if Luka wanted KP to be here, he would be here.

My comment in my post was doom if Cuban is going to be the lead architect of this roster moving forward.   I still think even with limited assets a top notch GM can rebuild this roster on the fly.   A medium to less than medium GM will make a lot of moves but we likely will be in the same spot in 2 years.  I know which one I would put my bet on if Cuban is the one building the roster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 04:58 PM)nielyn Wrote: 1.  This trade is very much a Cuban-driven transaction. Nico’s primary responsibility this season is to revamp the management structure, not to be the decision-maker on roster changes. This division of responsibilities makes a lot of sense, given Nico’s background and the organization’s needs. 

Can you point us to the specific article or podcast this is from? I would love to see the details of how this was framed.
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 07:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Thanks for this. 

Most of this, if true (it probably is) is the most depressing form of the reality we're seeing play out in front of us right now. Normally, info like this would topple me into a week long depression. But, not today. Today, I'm still happy that Kristaps Porzingis is another team's problem from now on!

Even if you want to say the Cuban/Dinwiddie relationship is pure coincidence, this trade has Cuban's fingerprints all over it with treating SRPs like cheap candy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
As I predicted, we need to play Maxi big minutes if we want to stay competitive against better teams with good big players. We were forced to play him 32 minutes this game. And still 3 minutes to play. Our season depends on Maxi playing big minutes.
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 09:55 PM)burekemde Wrote: As I predicted, we need to play Maxi big minutes if we want to stay competitive against better teams with good big players. We were forced to play him 32 minutes this game. And still 3 minutes to play. Our season depends on Maxi playing big minutes.

Just as it did before the trade.
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 10:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Just as it did before the trade.

Not if KP played. If KP was injured then yes. But obviously the chance for the latter was always there.

I like Maxi will get a much bigger role than before. He is 25 minutes prior to the trade. I think that goes to quiet above 30. No way to keep him on the bench when opposing bigs destroy us inside. We won the game by playing Maxi big minutes.
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 10:09 PM)burekemde Wrote: Not if KP played. If KP was injured then yes. But obviously the chance for the latter was always there.

I like Maxi will get a much bigger role than before. He is 25 minutes prior to the trade. I think that goes to quiet above 30. No way to keep him on the bench when opposing bigs destroy us inside. We won the game by playing Maxi big minutes.

My feeling is that we would all have been reminded just how slow KP‘s feet were in the playoffs, even if he was healthy. And honestly, I feel that he would not have been healthy.

I believe the defense will be BETTER without Porzingis. I believe it strongly.

I definitely agree that Powell and Kleber are not enough at center. Someone might get hurt, etc.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Kammrath, Omega_Supreme, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 10:09 PM)burekemde Wrote: I like Maxi will get a much bigger role than before. He is 25 minutes prior to the trade. I think that goes to quiet above 30.
We've seen Maxi at those minutes. He limped into the playoffs last year with a sore back and other ailments.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • burekemde, mvossman
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 10:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: My feeling is that we would all have been reminded just how slow KP‘s feet were in the playoffs, even if he was healthy. And honestly, I feel that he would not have been healthy.

I believe the defense will be BETTER without Porzingis. I believe it strongly.

I definitely agree that Powell and Kleber are not enough at center. Someone might get hurt, etc.

Glad you agree and telling like it is.

People keep saying what we miss from KP in the playoffs when in fact he never showed anything in the playoffs. You can't miss  something you've never had.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omega_Supreme's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 10:18 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: We've seen Maxi at those minutes. He limped into the playoffs last year with a sore back and other ailments.

Totally. 

They're cruising for trouble. Either play a TON of Chriss in winnable games or go get a big you trust more on the buyout market.
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 06:31 PM)nielyn Wrote: It is from a combination of articles/podcasts -- points I hadn't seen discussed much. I think some of the more forthright comments may have been in one of Mavs Moneyball's green rooms. 

I might have stated it too negatively. Cato was taking a more neutral attitude toward it, reporting what his sources were saying, mostly, rather than saying things were good or bad. 

Supposedly, Cuban became low-key willing to trade KP, if the return was right, early in 2021, aided by KP indicating he would be receptive to that. But they never found a deal they thought was acceptable. Tim initially thought that they hadn't gotten any deals they were willing to do at this deadline either, but then the day before the deadline, the Mavs started aggressively looking for a deal for KP, and this was the offer they got. 

He seemed pretty confident in his information regarding Nico's responsibilities this season. Also thought it was just what made sense, given Nico's rich background in organizational management and the Mavs' need for restructuring, together with Nico's lack of any experience in roster management. That wasn't to say that Nico didn't have a role in roster decisions, just not the primary role. 

It makes sense but its incredibly disappointing that Cuban can't get out of his own way. He's his own worst enemy. He's a shittier Jerry Jones which is saying a lot. 

(02-15-2022, 06:31 PM)nielyn Wrote: The Boban thing was definitely a Cuban-made-this-decision, but it reportedly wasn't made based on talent. More like, the 15th man isn't going to play anyway, might as well get a guy that the fans will love.

I actually agree with this mindset. Boban's value in the lockerroom and general fan engagement is more than worth his contract and roster spot. Plus it helps he can actually score a bit when he gets in the game. Perfect 15th guy imo. 

(02-15-2022, 06:31 PM)nielyn Wrote: I think the Dragic thing was Cato's opinion. He didn't say it was sourced, anyway. But it makes sense. 

None of this was presented in the sense of this is the way things are going to be forever. More, this is what has happened so far. But I still thought it was interesting.

I know those Cato comments on Dragic are a couple of days old by now, but I can't get over the main reason why Dragic wants to come here is to play with Luka. He said as such himself. That hasn't changed. And I still think there's a valid role for him on the team anyways.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/149...4320793603
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BucketsBeyond/status/1493702599962505217?s=20&t=9XKJOmgrFpFWiMoYFqOgWw
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BoredAssistant, DanSchwartzgan, Kammrath
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 10:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Totally. 

They're cruising for trouble. Either play a TON of Chriss in winnable games or go get a big you trust more on the buyout market.

I would feel really good about this team if they had made another minor deadline move for a guy like Theis but I guess they weren´t willing to take on even more longterm salary. Not sure if any of the buyout candidates moves the needle. Not sure if the Mavs even share our concerns.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 10:57 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not sure if the Mavs even share our concerns.

You're probably right. 

I think Favors is one of the most overrated names that ever gets brought up on this board, and he probably wouldn't even want to come here. BUT, if they could somehow get him to have a non-Chriss, experienced option behind Powell/Kleber, I'd applaud that. 

The Locked On Guys mentioned Dieng, who miiiiight get bought out by ATL. I'd be into that, too. 

I'm higher on Chriss than many here, but he's not ready for what's ahead in the near future, and if we see one pre-trash-time second of Boban in the playoffs I'm going to cry.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BoredAssistant, Omega_Supreme
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 08:30 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Can you point us to the specific article or podcast this is from? I would love to see the details of how this was framed.

I think it was one or more of the green rooms. I wasn't thinking of posting it when I heard it, and didn't make notes of the sources. Sorry, I don't want to go back and re-listen to them all to find it. But it wasn't anything especially long and the dialogue didn't sound rehearsed. Just some updates Tim was providing on Cuban's and Nico's respective roles, both overall and with respect to this trade. If I hear anything more on the subject, I'll try to make a note and post it here, if someone else hasn't already.
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 11:28 PM)nielyn Wrote: I think it was one or more of the green rooms. I wasn't thinking of posting it when I heard it, and didn't make notes of the sources. Sorry, I don't want to go back and re-listen to them all to find it. But it wasn't anything especially long and the dialogue didn't sound rehearsed. Just some updates Tim was providing on Cuban's and Nico's respective roles, both overall and with respect to this trade. If I hear anything more on the subject, I'll try to make a note and post it here, if someone else hasn't already.

Well if you see or hear something of the sort again I would appreciate a note and a specific reference. Thanks.

I personally don't believe what Cato is saying there (if I am understanding it properly). That doesn't jive with the feeling I had from Nico's presser and comments and other things.
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 11:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Well if you see or hear something of the sort again I would appreciate a note and a specific reference. Thanks.

The citation must be in MLA format. Double spaced. Times New Roman font.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, Not an evil robot
Like Reply
I guess Bertans can still shoot just fine. Those 2 should be a much better fit than KP was. Not superstars but good role players. And hopefully some pieces that can be flipped into some upgrades if they don't stick.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 2 users Like audiosway's post:
  • F Gump, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-15-2022, 10:18 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: We've seen Maxi at those minutes. He limped into the playoffs last year with a sore back and other ailments.

Agree. That's the potential problematic part of this trade. It only works as long Maxi can play really big minutes. If not, we have nobody to protect the rim, and we are going to lose 9 out of 10 games against opponents good as Miami that attack the rim.

If however Maxi should be able to hold on those big minutes, then this trade is awesome.
Like Reply