Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
(02-10-2022, 04:01 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I totally get that we needed to move KP and we are more flexible.  I've been on the "we need to trade KP sooner rather than later" train for a good while now.  I think that we can move Dimwiddie somewhat easily down the road but the concerns about what this means for Brunson are whats really bugging me.  If these contracts were for frontcourt and wing players I'd feel a lot better about everything.

Also, starting to wonder if this means Hardaway is out for the season.

This means that we are starting Brunson, and we let Dinwiddie run the second unit. Dinwiddie noway fits together with Luka or Brunson in lineup based from what I hear what type of player he is. Bertans fit the Luka offense as catch and shoot player.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:01 PM)cow Wrote: SP after his one year break.  Smile

Good call.   Big Grin
Like Reply
The level of outrage on the board and the immediate bad grades from a couple of outlets give me hope! :-)

I think @"Fuerza1" and @"Kammrath" have the goods on this.

Removing Mr. "I'm not a center, and I need my touches in my spots to be comfortable" is going to be addition by subtraction, I believe. The two new bad contracts could be useful in future trades, actually, especially if Kidd and Luka get these two playing well. Let's see what a new situation and a new role do for these guy.

And regarding a bit of roster imbalance: Sometimes it takes more than one move to get the roster where you want it. Moving the immovable contract was a good first step, imo.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • Jmaciscool, Kammrath, michaeltex
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:00 PM)Kammrath Wrote: But KP the two years before was 38% and 36%. Point is this: KP was used as a "floor spacer" and his catch and shoot shooting is not much, if ANY, better than this guy you are saying cannot play off-ball. 

And Bertans?  In his 6 years in the NBA this is the only year he has shot BELOW 40% from three on catch and shoot. 5 of 6 years above 40% on catch and shoot threes. 

Point being? KP was not a good shooter, for all the hype. Dinwiddie isn't much worse (if at all) and Bertans is WAY better.

KP was however far more than just a shooter. He dominated the paint, especially this season coming back to health. I dont know if any of these players replaces that? What will we do when we meet a team in playoffs that destroys Powell inside?
Like Reply
The idea of splitting KP into two smaller contracts isn't terrible if you execute it the right way.  By doing that you are saying that flexibility to make moves over the next couple of years is worth the downgrade in premium (if oft injured) talent to overpaid inefficient role players.

The problem with that strategy is you need assets to attach to those contracts and not only did you not extract any...you actually gave one up.

They needed to pull a FRP or Deni or Rui or Kispert and/or pull the Knicks into the deal and get an asset from Washington to them that nets that Mavs their own 2023 pick.

This FO is clearly still 100% cubes driven and as long as that's the case we will continue to see the Mavs refuse to evolve with the times and place actual value on picks (EVEN 2nd ROUNDERS!).
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaxiThreeba's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:04 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Good call.   Big Grin

I think this is an open secret.  I think worst case scenario is DQ.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:01 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I totally get that we needed to move KP and we are more flexible.  I've been on the "we need to trade KP sooner rather than later" train for a good while now.  I think that we can move Dimwiddie somewhat easily down the road but the concerns about what this means for Brunson are whats really bugging me.  If these contracts were for frontcourt and wing players I'd feel a lot better about everything.

Also, starting to wonder if this means Hardaway is out for the season.

Dinwiddie means absolutely nothing to Brunson´s minutes. The only concern you should have is that every team that will pitch Brunson will argue that

1.) We have the starting PG spot for you (or/and)
2.) Your owner/front office is totally incompetent and you will never win anything in Dallas

which leads us to the fact that we either grossly overpay to retain Brunson and DFS or they´ll just leave.

That´s happens to bad teams. They have to overpay in free agency, cause nobody voluntarily wants to work for a bad owner.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:59 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: KP if healthy did give us some hope for taking down some good teams in the playoffs when paired with a healthy Luka.

That's just it. I'm not going to argue with you about this, because my opinion doesn't matter. 

I feel the Mavs just made it clear that they disagree with the above, however. That's really all there is to say about it. If you think they're wrong, that's totally cool. But it is now a very safe assumption that they flat out did not think the way you do about the potential of the pairing.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, fifteenth
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:04 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Removing Mr. "I'm not a center, and I need my touches in my spots to be comfortable" is going to be addition by subtraction

I agree with this and feel that it's actually already been proven over most of this season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:04 PM)burekemde Wrote: This means that we are starting Brunson, and we let Dinwiddie run the second unit. Dinwiddie noway fits together with Luka or Brunson in lineup based from what I hear what type of player he is. Bertans fit the Luka offense as catch and shoot player.

Washington moved Dinwiddie because reportedly none of his teammates liked him. Hopefully he doesn't cause any problems in Dallas locker room.
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • SatnamSingh, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:05 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Dinwiddie means absolutely nothing to Brunson´s minutes.

I know that.  I worry about what it means for Brunson's next contract.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:04 PM)fifteenth Wrote: And regarding a bit of roster imbalance: Sometimes it takes more than one move to get the roster where you want it. Moving the immovable contract was a good first step, imo.

Yep. As @"dirkfansince1998" said, this is all setting up this summer while not screwing with what the Mavs have going right now.

KP was literally a non-factor at this point and so all the momentum the Mavs have right now is preserved. AND they have a chance to integrate two guys who HAVE been effective in the last couple years. Then make decisions this summer.
[-] The following 7 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • fifteenth, HoosierDaddyKid, Hypermav, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, StrandedOnBeauboisHill, WillE
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:06 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Washington moved Dinwiddie because reportedly none of his teammates liked him. Hopefully he doesn't cause any problems in Dallas locker room.

Ok thats bad news if true. I mean KP was not unicorn. But he is pretty great player that could have helped us go all the way potentially this season. I dont see us replacing his rim protection with this trade.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:06 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Washington moved Dinwiddie because reportedly none of his teammates liked him. Hopefully he doesn't cause any problems in Dallas locker room.

I sortof got the impression that he came in trying to be a leader and guys like Beal just rolled their eyes at him. It doesn't make him a bad lockerroom guy. Sometimes it's about fit. And lets be honest -- the Wizards have been a mess for a while.
[-] The following 2 users Like Tyler's post:
  • AgGiE1991, fifteenth
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 03:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think it's a big assumption to think they'd have to be expiring to move them. 

I think maybe we're underestimating how much a worse a bad MAX deal is than just a normal bad contract. 

I don't WANT to defend this trade - I hate it. Just trying to accurately understand it. 

I think the thing we're missing is that the Mavs REALLY WANTED TO BE RID OF PORZINGIS. Start from that point, and then assume this was the best package they could get, and it starts to make sense. Both Dinwiddie and Bertans WILL play in the playoff rotation, so technically they moved up from 7 guys to 8.
Yes, this is key!

I would also add that there will be no more sub-optimizing the offense just to keep KP happy with his touches and try to boost his value. (which I think was a secret mission for Kidd this year)

This also establishes, beyond all doubt, as if there were any questions, that this is LUKA's team. He is the alpha dog going forward. I just hopes he remembers this when eyeing the 2nd cheeseburger this summer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:07 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yep. As @"dirkfansince1998" said, this is all setting up this summer while not screwing with what the Mavs have going right now.

KP was literally a non-factor at this point and so all the momentum the Mavs have right now is preserved. AND they have a chance to integrate two guys who HAVE been effective in the last couple years. Then make decisions this summer.

19 ppg and 8 rebounds and amazing rim protection and blocking is a non-factor? What is the status on Dinwiddie and Bertans can they play this season or they are both injured now?
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • haveitall
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's just it. I'm not going to argue with you about this, because my opinion doesn't matter. 

I feel the Mavs just made it clear that they disagree with the above, however. That's really all there is to say about it. If you think they're wrong, that's totally cool. But it is now a very safe assumption that they flat out did not think the way you do about the potential of the pairing.

Just face the facts. Dallas moved on from KP because he's not dependable, and can't stay healthy. His contract didn't warrant the return. The best ability is availability.
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • AgGiE1991, fifteenth
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:07 PM)Kammrath Wrote: KP was literally a non-factor at this point and so all the momentum the Mavs have right now is preserved. AND they have a chance to integrate two guys who HAVE been effective in the last couple years. Then make decisions this summer.

I think this is pretty much EXACTLY what the thought process was. Whether it yields results over time will be the question, of course, but this is what they were thinking.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, Kammrath
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's just it. I'm not going to argue with you about this, because my opinion doesn't matter. 

Normally I'd stray towards your side of the argument.  I hate KP.  Even with him playing "good" this season, it never seemed to equate to us being better and when he was often out, I never missed him.  I still think his empty calories are better than no calories.  Maybe Dinwiddie and Bertans will surprise me.  It's all kind of a moot point anyway, we aren't a championship team.

Hopefully this is a rebuild?  But if that's the case, we should have moved Jalen and tried to reclaim our '23.  I guess we could still do that this summer.  I do think it is fair to seriously question the goals of this team.  You can't seriously look at the Suns, Bucks or 76ers and think we can rejigger this roster into a competitor.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 04:09 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Just face the facts. Dallas moved on from KP because he's not dependable, and can't stay healthy. His contract didn't warrant the return. The best ability is availability.

Yes, and because he's actually not that great of a player to begin with.
Like Reply