Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locked on Mavs talks to Jake Kemp
Locked on Mavs

Isaac talks to Jake Kemp of The Ticket, The Athletc, and a plethora past Mavs podcasts. They addresses several things that we talk about around here. 

fif notes:

• Question: How are the Mavs doing? Answer: The Mavs don't know how they're doing. The analysis period has been derailed a bit because of Covid and injuries. 

• Luka's condition: "Mildly" disappointing. How do you get out of shape in the short time between the Olympics and training camp? The hookah pic isn't as funny as it was. Dirk didn't start really taking care of himself until his late 20's. It's not that weird that someone Luka's age wouldn't take his diet as seriously as you want him to. But the league has changed. There a lot fewer guys in the NBA living like NBA players used to. The sports science and nutrition game has changed. So, it's hard to succeed if you don't take care of yourself.  
  • Brunson: Jake doessn't think the Mavs can afford (regarding PR and Luka's opinion of the F.O.) to lose JB because of money, even if signing JB means paying tax. 

• Roster issues: The failures in the draft are creating salary cap and team building problems.

That's all from the first half of the podcast. I'm listening to the second half as I type. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-j0xAHveWM
Like Reply
Here's an interesting second half of the podcast tidbit...

Golden State went from last in the league in passes per game to first in the league in passes per game in one season. The major change that coincided with this was moving from Mark Jackson to Steve Kerr. 

The Mavs were 24th in the league in passing last year. They were 23rd in passing this year up until Luka went out. The last eigth games, they have been top five in passes per game. That includes a stretch, pre-covid replacement players, where they were 1st in the league in passes per game for a few games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
Ha! And they end with a Luka / Micah Parsons comparison! Isaac must be among us.
Like Reply
Thanks for the summary, fif!
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Passing topic is interesting.

Just looking at the top 10 in passes per game and the offensive rating.

1. Warriors 4th OFFRTG
2. Nuggets 20th OFFRTG
3. Pacers 12th OFFRTG
4. Pistons 30th OFFRTG
5. Pelicans 24th OFFRTG
6. 76ers 14th OFFRTG
7. Cavs 13th OFFRTG
8. Hornets 2nd OFFRTG
9. Heat 7th OFFRTG
10. OKC 29th OFFRTG

Actually suggesting the opposite. Especially if we also look at the bottom three in passes per game. Suns, Hawks and Bucks. All top ten in O-rating.

There are many different ways to run a successful offense. For teams with multiple ballhandlers and good passers a high passing volume can be beneficial. For others with more limited players it can also lead to problems.
I don´t think more passing automatically translates to better offense. I do think that more passing with a purpose leads to better offense. Simply passing the ball around the perimeter isn´t challenging the defense. Needs inside-out, outside-in movement from players and the ball to create better scoring opportunities.

The Warriors build a succesful offense around off ball movement and screens. A lot of playmaking and passing from bigs (small ball bigs). A stationary passer surrounded by players that are running around off ball screens or cutting to the basket. Not sure if any other team has the players to replicate their system. Curry and Draymond are unique.
Most teams are playing a more pick and roll heavy offense. Be it the heliocentric RC/D´Antoni style that features a high usage player like Harden/Doncic or multiple ballhandlers. Some with more off ball movement. Some focusing on the max amount of spacing.
The heliocentric style is more or less the opposite of the Warriors style. A moving ballhandler passing the ball to stationary receivers.

Bottom line for me. Making the connection to the current Mavs. Right now I am not sure if the coaches have a clear idea how they want the Mavs to play. As long as that isn´t the case it is difficult to say if more passing would help the team.

Leaves us with a couple of questions. First. Would a more pass heavy approach lead to better results with the current roster. If the answer is yes. Are we talking about a more diversified flow offense or a completly different scheme?
If the answer is no. Should the Mavs go back to the low passing volume offense that lead to great offensive numbers in the previous two seasons? Should the Mavs make roster adjustments to improve the passing?

That goes along with some of the questions we asked in other threads. If the plan was to run a switch and rotation heavy offense why did they resign THJ? If the plan was to run a more pass heavy offense why did they add Bullock?
[-] The following 7 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ballsrchr, BasketballJones41, ClutchDirk, fifteenth, KillerLeft, mvossman, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(12-29-2021, 03:23 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Passing topic is interesting...

This a really great post!

After I listened to Locked on Mavs I found that video about passing that I started another thread with. Considering all of it together, I think I agree with you that, of course, a super pass heavy offense is not the only way to produce an efficient offense. And regarding the Mavs, I don't know that a pass heavy offense is the best way to maximize a Luka lead team, or the best use of the Mavs current roster. 

However, I can see the need for diversification. Producing more motion and passing for possessions where Luka is off the ball makes sense to me. And a coach intentionally calling for possessions where Luka is off the ball makes sense to me. 

Somehow the team has to maximize Luka (which may very well be something like 5-out or spread pnr), but also have a back up plan that adds unpredictability, gives Luka a break, and gives our non-Luka players a chance to succeed when Luka's out and/or when he plays off the ball. It seems like the movement and passing that we've seen while Luka has been out over the last 8 games could be a possible answer or that back up plan, or secondary piece of the offensive system.
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • ballsrchr, dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(12-29-2021, 03:46 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Somehow the team has to maximize Luka (which may very well be something like 5-out or spread pnr), but also have a back up plan that adds unpredictability, gives Luka a break, and gives our non-Luka players a chance to succeed when Luka's out and/or when he plays off the ball. It seems like the movement and passing that we've seen while Luka has been out over the last 8 games could be a possible answer or that back up plan, or secondary piece of the offensive system.

It's so frustrating, because I can't figure out why they don't just play Porzingis at the 5 and commit to the Luka/KP two-man game with shooters spacing for it! We have been waiting for three years to see that and after giving it to us once they never went back to it!!!!!
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BasketballJones41, fifteenth, mavsluvr
Like Reply
(12-29-2021, 03:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's so frustrating, because I can't figure out why they don't just play Porzingis at the 5 and commit to the Luka/KP two-man game with shooters spacing for it! We have been waiting for three years to see that and after giving it to us once they never went back to it!!!!!

I agree. Here's my overly hopeful, probably wrong, "maybe this is what's happening" take where I responded to you in another thread: 

https://www.mavsboard.com/showthread.php?tid=1577&pid=117313#pid117313
Like Reply
Micah >>>>>>>>>>>> Luka
Like Reply
I've been saying that thing about the ball movement for months and most of the people who respond disagree.  The replacement players are giving credence to what I've been saying since last year.

Everyone criticized KP for talking about the lack of ball movement as jealousy of Luka or selfishness just wanting his shots, but I said then, we DON'T move the ball.  I don't think he meant that at all.

Luka dribbles until he takes the shot or very unselfishly gets someone a great shot, but you can't win that way all the time at all.  It's good to have that in your bag, even rely on it at crucial times, but that can't BE your bag.

The MMB people kept saying you have to play heliocentric around Luka because he's the best player on the court and I told him unless Luka can score 50 ppg and hand out 20 apg for an entire season and then playoffs, you are going to kill him and still be a first round out.

I mean, dang.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 2 users Like TXBamanut's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, dmavs4life03
Like Reply
(12-29-2021, 05:21 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: I've been saying that thing about the ball movement for months and most of the people who respond disagree.  The replacement players are giving credence to what I've been saying since last year.

Everyone criticized KP for talking about the lack of ball movement as jealousy of Luka or selfishness just wanting his shots, but I said then, we DON'T move the ball.  I don't think he meant that at all.

Luka dribbles until he takes the shot or very unselfishly gets someone a great shot, but you can't win that way all the time at all.  It's good to have that in your bag, even rely on it at crucial times, but that can't BE your bag.

The MMB people kept saying you have to play heliocentric around Luka because he's the best player on the court and I told him unless Luka can score 50 ppg and hand out 20 apg for an entire season and then playoffs, you are going to kill him and still be a first round out.

I mean, dang.

It's why I prefer Luka at SF instead of PG. Ball movement. If necessary Luka can take the ball and go, as he usually does, when needed, but to me, dribble-dribble-dribble is not conducive to winning basketball.
[-] The following 4 users Like david75090's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, dmavs4life03, F Gump, TXBamanut
Like Reply
(12-29-2021, 06:01 PM)david75090 Wrote: It's why I prefer Luka at SF instead of PG. Ball movement. If necessary Luka can take the ball and go, as he usually does, when needed, but to me, dribble-dribble-dribble is not conducive to winning basketball.

1-on-5 has to be a losing formula. But imo it's also very tiresome to watch. I much prefer seeing team basketball and the creativity that flows from it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • dmavs4life03
Like Reply