Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVS 132, BLAZERS 117
(12-28-2021, 10:50 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think you're grossly underestimating their current value. That's a secondary star and two roleplayers for a guy who can be a secondary star with the right fit next to him and a guy who has shown he can run an offense. If the team receiving Brunson believes they can re-sign him, that's a more than fair return. 

If KP can play like he is this year and be available upwards of 70% of the time, he has value for most any team, even at his contract. The biggest issue with him is fit with Luka.

Trading KP/JB for Poeltl and White would be a gross waste of assets, as well as getting torched on a trade.

Somebody posted the other day that KP made it to the list of projected all-stars based on value by Lebron, which is one of the best all-around metrics available.  He has since dropped off, but he is right on the edge.  He has had a very good season.  If you look farther up that list close to the starters you will see Murray.  He is having a monster season, even better than KP.  He is also younger than KP, does not have near the injury concerns and his contract is half what KP is.  He has way more value in a trade.

KP issues go way beyond fit with Luka.  He has fit concerns in general.  Do you pair him with a center?  Does he have near the value as a stretch power forward?  But that is nothing compared to the injury concerns.  Its not just the history, its the fact that he has a unique body that does not bode well for long term health.  

The most likely trade partner for KP is going to be somebody desperate enough to take the risk on him.  The Spurs probably don't fall in that category.  They certainly would have no reason to send out their budding star for him.  A more likely scenario would be Portland with CJ or Charlotte with Hayward.  I think its going to be hard for there to be a trade that works for both teams with KP.

Brunson also has limited trade value.  He is a good player, but he is a UFA in a couple of months.  The only thing you are really trading for (other than a half season rental) is his bird rights.  I'm not sure how many teams desperately need a point guard and his bird rights.
Like Reply
(12-29-2021, 12:01 PM)omahen Wrote: Player number 1 that comes to my mind as ideal center partner for Luka was Collins. He is however probably too small for a center. After a bit more thinking - Cristian Wood.

Edit: Ayton could also be very interesting ideal option

Edit 2: Another solution is to spend assets elsewhere and use a cheap rim rolling center. Powell could be just fine.

I'm with you, but what if Kidd's offense is simply Kidd's offense, and NOT just a way of getting KP to look better? 

We have literally only seen them commit to a spread pick and roll approach for like one half of basketball this year (a GLORIOUS half) and they never went to it again. 

Maybe it's about KP, but then again...maybe not. If it's not, these next few years are going to be depressing.
Like Reply
(12-29-2021, 03:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm with you, but what if Kidd's offense is simply Kidd's offense, and NOT just a way of getting KP to look better? 

We have literally only seen them commit to a spread pick and roll approach for like one half of basketball this year (a GLORIOUS half) and they never went to it again. 

Maybe it's about KP, but then again...maybe not. If it's not, these next few years are going to be depressing.

I'll offer a hopeful take that may turn out to be completely off...

Is it possible that JKidd is filing "things that work" or even "things that are awesome" away for later use, putting them on ice, in a sense, and then proceeding down the list "things he wants to try" and "things he wants to see"?

Luka is awesome. Check. So let's put a ton of focus on KP to see what we have and possibly get him going. 

The Luka/KP PNR is awesome. Check. So let's put that on ice while we look at some other things.

Timmy is great when he can mainly catch and shoot in the spread pnr. Check. Let's see if Timmy can add some things to his game.

One big lineups work well for us. Check. Let's see if we can figure out some two-big lineups in order to preserve KP's health. 

Is this overly hopeful? Is it crazy talk to think that maybe there will be a time when Coach starts having the team do the things that he has filed away as "awesome, check, save that for later"?
Like Reply
(12-29-2021, 04:00 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Is it possible that JKidd is filing "things that work" or even "things that are awesome" away for later use, putting them on ice, in a sense, and then proceeding down the list "things he wants to try" and "things he wants to see"?

Yes, it's very possible. Carlisle did stuff like this all the time, but not on things as broad as the offensive identity of the team, obvs. 

Idk, I hope that's the case. I don't think so, however. I think that Porzingis hates setting screens, tbh. It's the only explanation I can conjure that makes any sense.
Like Reply
(12-29-2021, 04:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think that Porzingis hates setting screens, tbh.

If he doesn't want to set screens, and he gets his feelings hurt by being called a center (which is what he needs to play, at the very least, during any important stretch of basketball), then really, he just has to be traded. 

So another hopeful, but probably wrong, take: Kidd is trying to make KP tradeable. The entire first half of Season 1 of the Nico and Kidd show is about trading KP. Then they can start playing basketball that's unhindered by someone who doesn't want to do what he does best, or what's best for the team.
Like Reply
(12-29-2021, 04:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes, it's very possible. Carlisle did stuff like this all the time, but not on things as broad as the offensive identity of the team, obvs. 

Idk, I hope that's the case. I don't think so, however. I think that Porzingis hates setting screens, tbh. It's the only explanation I can conjure that makes any sense.

That´s not hard to explain at all. Porzingis is 7´3. He does having a poor centre of gravity and quick athletic guards would be running into his legs, knees, hips and lower body all the time. Furthermore he´s not quick enough to establish position for the screens. Then it would lead to more fatigue, since 7´3 people are somewhat limited in their endurance ceiling. More fatigue increases the injury risk further. So this is clearly a matter of protecting your investment. It´s basically the in-game version of the no skiing/motorcycles-clause.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
(12-29-2021, 04:13 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Furthermore he´s not quick enough to establish position for the screens.

Maybe on all the injury and fatique stuff. But on the "not quick enough to establish position" thing: I might buy this, except that when executed, the Luka/KP pnr has looked great and proved to be very productive.
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, mvossman
Like Reply
(12-29-2021, 12:46 PM)omahen Wrote: How do Lakers get Dame while sending all the remaining assets to Dallas to take Westbrook?

What are you talking about?  The move would be between the Lakers and Blazers.
Like Reply