Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IZTOK ON THE STATE OF THE MAVS
Rather than do his usual technical piece for Christmas, Iztok passes on a overall view of where the Mavs stand at this point. Mike Piellucci does the interview. Iztok tells it like it is, yikes. 

Piellucci:  How do you feel about this team, looking forward?

Iztok: Kidd said we would better understand this team by Christmas. Yet, here we are, and we're still watching the same team we've seen for the past two and a half seasons. They should still be a playoff team if Luka is in the lineup.

But I have no confidence that they will be a home-court seed, or go deeper into the playoffs. And there are some warning signs that things could go worse. Their four best players are good offensively, but poor defensive fits. They're trying to search for lineups that will achieve a balance, but any combination they use will feature at least two below-average starters. Maxi is the glue guy who is too important to leave on the bench, but too fragile to play heavy minutes. Most importantly, KP is too inconsistent and unreliable to be the second star this team needs.

We've seen some stylistic changes -- more active defense, less high-precision offense. But this is looking like lipstick on a pig, and I think we know how this story ends.

Piellucci:  Although a few of the players have shown internal improvement (Brunson, and to some extent, Mo and Green), it looks like any meaningful step forward is going to have to involve help from the outside, and more than one player. Who should the Mavs be looking at now?

Iztok: To take the next step to becoming a real contender, they need to find a player in the the top 20-30 range. Like a Paul George, who can create his own shot and fit well with Luka defensively. Of course, that's the player the whole league wants, and it's easier said than done. The Mavs took a swing that KP could be that guy, and that's still their best hope for it, either via KP blossoming enough to be a contributor here or progressing enough to entice another GM to pay big value for him. 

But to take a more realistic view, the team is very talent-starved, and it would be good if Nico can just find a player anywhere who is a clear-cut starter. Which they have whiffed on for the past three offseasons. A rim-rolling center would make Luka's life easier and make the team more fun to watch in the regular season. 

An even better target would be an athletic wing -- an upgrade over Maxi. Someone who can guard multiple positions and play PF next to KP. Anunoby, Jarred Vanderbilt, Miles Bridges would be some examples. The key is "athletic."

What do you think is the minimum requirement for the front office going into the trade deadline, Mike?

Piellucci: Some sense of urgency. They probably don't have the assets to swing for a superstar. But they can't be complacent, with Luka on the roster. It's been three years since the KP trade, and they haven't made the kind of statement move that indicates they realize how far this roster is from where it needs to be. The organizational upheaval was a step, but that only goes so far without changing the team itself. What is your Christmas wish for the Mavs, Iztok?

Iztok:  Good health. I'm especially interested in how Luka looks when he gets back. This is the first season in which he has received serious criticism for his play and conditioning. This is a surprising time for a downturn. Can he respond? Given his track record, I wouldn't bet against him. 

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2021/12...side-chat/
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(12-23-2021, 01:31 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I'm especially interested in how Luka looks when he gets back. This is the first season in which he has received serious criticism for his play and conditioning. This is a surprising time for a downturn. Can he respond? Given his track record, I wouldn't bet against him. 

Preach Iztok, preach.
Like Reply