Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVS 114, WOLVES 102
Here's to hoping Dan is completely wrong on his take. 

I don't feel they are a better team without KP, but whatever configuration they are using isn't working as well as it should to accommodate both players. I do think Rick was inefficient in his use of KP and that Kidd isn't far off. That's evident in his numbers on both sides of the court. And I also feel this has much more to do with Luka than KP. Truth be told I don't always like Luka's style of play but he's is what he is and diminishing the capabilities of your second best player to placate the former isn't the best avenue for success.

At the end of the day, you have to hit shots (sorry if that sounds ordinary and rudimentary). Hitting open shots basically makes the above topics of conversations moot at the end of the day. They shoot almost 8% points higher in wins than losses. They defend well and rebound better as well.
Like Reply
DO NOT TRADE MY JALEN BRUNSON

(12-22-2021, 03:11 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Agreed. It really shows that this whole big ball line-up is a mess, when Powell can look better as the single starting center.

We all argued vehemently against the big line-ups, but this make shift G-League small ball team only hammered home the point. We have far too many Cs on this roster. Realistically we need Porzingis, Kleber, Powell (for now) and Brown. And they should probably play a maximum of 60 minutes combined with the rest going to smaller players at the 4. Our defense is simply too slow and weak. The Cavs line-ups only work, cause Allen and Mobley are defensive studs and everybody else is playing fast and quick with lots of energy.

Furthermore Brunson and DFS are getting paid next summer, whether we like it or not. 

Last two games:

Brunson: 23.0 PPG, 8.5 APG, 2 RPG, 1.5 SPG, 3.5 TOPG, shooting 52/38/75
Dorian: 21.5 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 4 APG, 1.5 SPG, 1.5 TOPG, shooting 57/43/100

The Mavs need to make room for these guys. Ideally you move at least two of THJ, Powell and Bullock. Certainly let WCS go, Burke if you can.

The Mavs really need to pay attention to the league right now, cause so many teams will give opportunities to hidden gems and untapped potential (some of whom will be available via trades or free agency).

Thankyou man I have been saying this for months. DFS is the heart and soul of our team and is a culture guy. Brunson is the 2nd best player on the team. 

The Mavs should be ready to listen to all offers for anyone outside of those 2 guys including Luka. 

KP, THJ, Maxi, Powell, Bullock etc. could net good returns for us. 

Brunson is our Jason Terry weather people want to admit it or not.
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 11:12 AM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: That's evident in his numbers on both sides of the court.

I agree that KP looks better. He certainl moves better. But the stats are more or less the same. Improvements in some areas. Decline in others.

Scoring
20/21 20.1ppg (23.5 per36)   47.6/37.6/85.5   58.2% TS   
21/22 19.4ppg (23.3 per36)   43.8/28.3/90.0   54.8% TS

More efficient in the paint. Still around 40% from midrange. Worse from 3. Higher FTAr.

Slight increase in assists (2.0 in 21/22 vs 1.6 in 20/21). Going along with a slight increase in tovs (1.4 vs 1.2)

Rebounding down. From 8.9 to 7.9.

Big difference comes on the defensive end. Still not close to the shot blocking numbers he used to have in NY but better than last season. 1.6. vs 1.3 blks per game. -10.3 DFG% inside 6ft (-5.7% last season). But on the other hand worse on the perimeter. Overall still worse because the perimeter numbers are worse (+0.5 DFG% vs -0.2 last season). Rim protection improved. Perimeter defense is still a problem.

Looking at the on/off, +/- numbers:

20/21 on court -0.7 on/off -4.9, +2.8 on offense, -7.6 on defense
21/22 on court -2.2 on/off -3.8 -1.7 on offense, -2.2 on defense (small sample size)
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Also like to point out that Sterling Brown did have a strong game last night.

12 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 50% from three. Everything we want from Bullock.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 12:30 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Also like to point out that Sterling Brown did have a strong game last night.

12 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 50% from three. Everything we want from Bullock.

Yeah, he was solid. 

He has caught a ton of grief around here, but I like him, personally.
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 12:30 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Also like to point out that Sterling Brown did have a strong game last night.

Everything we thought we were getting from Brown to begin with.
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 09:39 AM)omahen Wrote: The reason to play another center is to save KP health. But he is missing games anyway, quite a lot of them.

Depressing, but good point. With KP and his fragility, you lose coming, and you lose going. 

We have very scattered data regarding KP as the only big. Lots of different lineups with 30 minutes for most used one THJ-DFS-Luka_Brunson-DFS. Not surprisingly this lineup is bad defensively, what is surprising is they were very bad on the offense.

Think you might be a little unrealistic to expect very much from this lineup. I mean, it's only four guys. Sheesh. 

The only scheme that imho makes sense with KP is to have him as the screener in the Luka PnR with three floor spreading wings. The one thing they basically refuse to play for three years now. Since it is so obvious they should at least try to do this, the only logical reason they don't do it can be, that one of the players doesn't want to do it.

This is the weirdest thing, to me. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 12:34 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Depressing, but good point. With KP and his fragility, you lose coming, and you lose going. 

Someone needs to write the book "KP Fragility"!! 

I can't figure out how to make the KP part rhyme with fight, or plight, or night, or knight...

If it was DP who had a fragile body and ego then this post would have been easier.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 01:02 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Someone needs to write the book "KP Fragility"!! 

I can't figure out how to make the KP part rhyme with fight, or plight, or night, or knight...

If it was DP who had a fragile body and ego then this post would have been easier.

Can I offer "Wish his knees were alright" as an alternative. Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 01:11 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Can I offer "Wish his knees were alright" as an alternative. Tongue

Height Fragility?
Like Reply
Brown had a good second half but we are 30 games in.  Pinson's first half is what I figured we'd get from Brown all season long.
Like Reply
Polls on this board reflect the majority wanting to retain the services of Mr. Porzingis.  I've never been in that majority.
[-] The following 3 users Like WildArkieBoy's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 12:56 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's ok, my guy! @"fifteenth" promised to cover for you that night so we're all set! Enjoy your time off!

Great! Much appreciated, guys!

I have no doubt @fifteenth will do us proud, and make me look like an amature.
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 02:09 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Great! Much appreciated, guys!

I'd just rant the whole time about how qualified and in charge Nico is!!!  Big Grin
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 02:09 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Great! Much appreciated, guys!

Will he also replace you on the broadcast? At least let him join you or lend him the notes.
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 12:13 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I agree that KP looks better. He certainl moves better. But the stats are more or less the same. Improvements in some areas. Decline in others.

Scoring
20/21 20.1ppg (23.5 per36)   47.6/37.6/85.5   58.2% TS   
21/22 19.4ppg (23.3 per36)   43.8/28.3/90.0   54.8% TS

More efficient in the paint. Still around 40% from midrange. Worse from 3. Higher FTAr.

Slight increase in assists (2.0 in 21/22 vs 1.6 in 20/21). Going along with a slight increase in tovs (1.4 vs 1.2)

Rebounding down. From 8.9 to 7.9.

Big difference comes on the defensive end. Still not close to the shot blocking numbers he used to have in NY but better than last season. 1.6. vs 1.3 blks per game. -10.3 DFG% inside 6ft (-5.7% last season). But on the other hand worse on the perimeter. Overall still worse because the perimeter numbers are worse (+0.5 DFG% vs -0.2 last season). Rim protection improved. Perimeter defense is still a problem.

Looking at the on/off, +/- numbers:

20/21 on court -0.7 on/off -4.9, +2.8 on offense, -7.6 on defense
21/22 on court -2.2 on/off -3.8 -1.7 on offense, -2.2 on defense (small sample size)

The same? I'd argue he's a clear 4% points higher, which is huge statistically speaking and is no small leap. Aside from that, I took a closer look at the lineups and compared Luka only to KP only (can't post it here, since i had to download and pivot the data from nba.com), and it does show the team shoots better in the KP lineups, both from three and from two. They also score more, rebound more and defend better. So KPs affect is not simply his stats--it's much more than that which is why it's critical for there to be a workable solution between both players that limits their collective deficiencies. +- to me is very limited in scope to provide much detail (at least for me).

As far as his numbers being low, that's not certain. I think the teams collective stats are n the tank; not just his. The new ball, new offense, new hot spots and cold spots, etc. who knows, but I think there's more to it than just a year over year comparison. 

The eye test shows, the team moves the ball better when Luks sits; that's evident as of late, especially in the past 5 games. Why? Perhaps because KP is one of the few players on the team that demands a double. Last night, that was clear when Kidd went to Boban early and late to draw help defenders to take the pressure off JB and the others from creating. That added space created easier shot attempts. Every contending team has a guy(s) that can do this--create gravity on the floor to open up the offense, but perhaps we're so used to Luka putting rabbits out of his ass, that we lose that perspective. They play a different brand of basketball when Luka's defensive liabilities and his formulaic offensive approaches are on the bench. And mixing those two styles is very problematic it seems at this juncture, but I have to defer the PG(s) when it comes to working out chemistry related issues.
[-] The following 1 user Likes luka_skywalker_77's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 02:17 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Will he also replace you on the broadcast? At least let him join you or lend him the notes.

I don't believe that's the plan, but I'm going to lend him my spell-checker for the recap.  Big Grin
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 02:17 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Will he also replace you on the broadcast? At least let him join you or lend him the notes.

HEY NOW

I might be up for all that! 

Oh my.....DO I GET TO CALL THE GAME WITH DIRK??!!??!!
Like Reply
"KP" stands for "Kleenex Physique."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 02:30 PM)fifteenth Wrote: HEY NOW

I might be up for all that! 

Oh my.....DO I GET TO CALL THE GAME WITH DIRK??!!??!!

That's not a job for amatures.
  • fifteenth
Like Reply