Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVS 114, WOLVES 102
(12-22-2021, 02:17 PM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: 4% points higher, which is huge statistically speaking and is no small leap.

Where is this very specific number coming from?

Numbers are just that. Numbers. I provided some of them. Never argued about the eyetest. Even mentioned that I think he is moving better.

Second part is a different discussion. I would argue the opposite. The offense looks a lot better when KP isn´t trying to iso or post up. @"DanSchwartzgan" summed it up. The spacing is off when KP is trying to create for himself. He is really good when he catches the ball deep in the paint. Not so much when he starts from the ellbow. I don´t think he is forcing the opposing defense to do anything special when they can simply put a wing on him.
For the Mavs style (under Kidd and RC) a rim runner or stretch 5 (ideally both which KP could be on paper) is simply a better fit. Yesterdays makeshift rotation showed why. Way better spacing. More penetration. More kick outs. Ball movement. Forcing the opposing defense to rotate.
Powell had his best game of the season. Chriss came into the game without any practice. Not even playing in the g-league this season. Was a great fit.
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 02:25 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I don't believe that's the plan, but I'm going to lend him my spell-checker for the recap.  Big Grin

Angry

Oh man, I know I don't check my spelling

Confused

I gotta adopt the ml "write in word and paste it into the editor" habit!!!

(12-22-2021, 02:32 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: That's not a job for amatures.

You cut me Shrek

TWICE!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 08:14 AM)Chicagojk Wrote:   Seems like the Mavs need to sell Jalen on being here.  I hope they can do it.

If they are already worried about losing Jalen then we need to trade him now.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 02:32 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Angry

Oh man, I know I don't check my spelling

Confused

I gotta adopt the ml "write in word and paste it into the editor" habit!!!

You cut me Shrek

TWICE!!!
Just messing with you, fif, no worries. 

(You did have it coming, though, lol.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 02:38 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Just messing with you, fif, no worries. 

(You did have it coming, though, lol.)

Oh, man, I'm not bothered! I probably always have it coming. 

Bring it on bro!

[Image: bring-it-are-you-ready.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • mavsluvr
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 10:38 AM)fifteenth Wrote: ***************************************
* The payoff of Kidd letting KP          *
* "just be a basketball player" is       *
* a hugely diminished team offense.*

Where is that thumbs up button.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft, michaeltex
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 02:32 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Where is this very specific number coming from?

Numbers are just that. Numbers. I provided some of them. Never argued about the eyetest. Even mentioned that I think he is moving better.

Second part is a different discussion. I would argue the opposite. The offense looks a lot better when KP isn´t trying to iso or post up. @"DanSchwartzgan" summed it up. The spacing is off when KP is trying to create for himself. He is really good when he catches the ball deep in the paint. Not so much when he starts from the elbow. I don´t think he is forcing the opposing defense to do anything special when they can simply put a wing on him.

For the Mavs style (under Kidd and RC) a rim runner or stretch 5 (ideally both which KP could be on paper) is simply a better fit. Yesterdays makeshift rotation showed why. Way better spacing. More penetration. More kick outs. Ball movement. Forcing the opposing defense to rotate.

Powell had his best game of the season. Chriss came into the game without any practice. Not even playing in the g-league this season. Was a great fit.

I'd contend KP is doubled far more often than not in the post and at the elbow and that utilizing that infrequently, generates easy offense. Playing this close to how Rick played it, is simply playing KP to his weakness and is a poor use of talent. I'm sure KP knew that but he did what he was advised to do. The better he got as working his spots, the better the offense became. It's traditional; it's familiar and it's smart when you realize there are literally no players on this roster capable of generating their own shots on a consistent basis. Removing him from the post nullifies his size and makes him just another wing player on offense. So you roll with the punches, to incorporate the post into the fold, knowing you'll need it at some point down the road. 

As far as there being a better fit, why wasn't that the case with Powell when KP was out? When the team was it's most successful in the past, DP had free runs into the paint, but teams are not forgetting about singular skill of his now. They are packing the paint and forcing DP to golf swing from the perimeter. Then you'll have the same problems all over again. I'm just not sure that player exists out there for Dallas to get. So even though i think your summation may be more accurate, I still think there is a way to have both. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes luka_skywalker_77's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
I just wanted to give props to Brunson and his play last night...he stepped up with our 2 top players out plus no Kleber and lead our team to victory along great play from some other players...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 4 users Like ClutchDirk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, fifteenth, Jym, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 06:56 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I just wanted to give props to Brunson and his play last night...he stepped up with our 2 top players out plus no Kleber and lead our team to victory along great play from some other players...

Yeah I was surprised to see how little people were hyping him up. Sure that second half was kinda meh when the zone threw everything off but 28 points on 18 shots as the clear #1 is amazing
One thing to do that when the defense is focused in on Luka/KP and something totally different to come as The Man and produce
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • ClutchDirk, KillerLeft
Like Reply