Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 11.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
91.67%
22 91.67%
Knicks
8.33%
2 8.33%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 8: NYK (2-7) @ DAL (5-3) | 102-106 loss
Hmmm, after looking at the box score. Seth Curry with 12:42 minutes with 3 fouls, 1 steal and a +4 +/-, that's it, zeros for everything else. That's pretty bad. I will say, I'm kinda not a fan of both Luka and KP scoring big numbers and taking so many shots (48 shots between the two of them). Tells me they aren't including the rest of the team very much, which makes it really hard for the rest to get into their own rythm.

This is also a game where Boban could have played some of the 27:41 minutes that Gibson played who is a non 3 pt threat (didn't take 1 three all game), maybe some of the Portis minutes as well. At the very least to see if it works.

Didn't need as many shots from THJ, and probably could've gotten Kleber a few more looks as he was the only other efficient player (although, I think the amount of looks he got is perfect and any more has a high chance of him becoming more inefficient).

The inefficient chucking from our stars allows the bench players to feel they can do at least the same without repercussion and to be honest, I think everyone has a 3 point shooting green light from RC anyway. Not sure that is the best approach, but time will tell as we're still very early into the season.
Like Reply
It's already starting again, that Carlisle destroys the confidence of all our glue guys. Curry, delon, Brunson need their consistent minutes and rotations so that they develop chemistry.

What is the idea in starting Lee?

Carlisle cost us already a game and nearly two with the magic game.

How long until Luka and kp will say something?
Like Reply
I notice a patern. Every loss is on RC. Every win is on the players.
I think RC wanted to give the ex-Knicks a chance to prove themself against their former team and it backfired. I don´t agree with his decision to cut Curry minutes but the Mavs actually did not start bad with Lee on the floor in the 1st quarter.
The problem today was the lack of effort. Young team underestimating the opponent. No rebounding, no hustle and sloppy execution on offense.

Some things are obvious.

7 vs 14 offensive rebounds. First time this season that an opponent was able to dominate the paint against the Mavs. Inside scoring and rebounding both favored the Knicks. This is not only on the Mavs bigs. KP had 9 rebs. Doncic 14. Powell and Kleber combined for 10 in 56 combined minutes. The Mavs don´t have a dominant rebounding big in the paint. Bench guards/wings need to step up  and help out on the boards.

Shooting 31% from 3. Off nights happen but the problems are obvious. Shot selection (Doncic, THJ, sometimes KP). Curry only getting 12 minutes and 0 FGA. I would like to see some play calls for him. Get him involved in the offense. Seth isn´t a chucker. He won´t force shots but the Mavs should be able to create at least 3-5 good looks for him every night. Don´t see a reason why he cannot be used like Redick in his Clippers or Korver in his Hawks days.

Which brings me to my next point. Offball movement. I know that RCs offensive scheme is based around a pick and rolll motion offense but I would like to see some variation at times. High pick and roll. Horns give and go turning into pick and roll. Looking more and more like the Rockets. Morey/D´Anthony-ball.
Problem is that it makes the Mavs offense predictable. Teams are starting to pick up Lukas tendencies. They are denying the cross court pass to the corner and contain the pick and roll to prevent a lob. Forcing Luka to take a floater or finish at the rim. Luka has no problems to do both but he had some ugly turnovers in the last two games when he tried to force feed the shooter in the corner.
Some ideas:
Offball/stagger screens for Curry and KP.
Doncic postups or pinch post action with Luka as the ball screener.
Like Reply
Very good and detailed analysis but which job is it to call some of these plays? Who needs to motivate the guys in front of a game like this? Why they didn't posted up luka in the first every time frank was on him. That would've been some easy buckets or foul trouble for the Knicks.
Like Reply
(11-08-2019, 11:06 PM)omahen Wrote: Everyone but KP and Luka showed they are just bench guys and proved how awful we could use a proven starter(s). 8 turnovers by Luka... Jackson 1 of 5, Wright 1-5, Brunson and DFS 1-4. Powell managed to take 1 shot (no rim running tonight!), Curry took 0 shots. 

Terribly dissapointed.

From my point of view the ball is not moving enough. Guys might be cold, because they get no touches - too often it's bring the ball, dribble, shoot or bring the ball, one pass, shoot. Hard to develop chemistry that way. They got some wins (despite chemistry isn't there) due to bad opponents and because Luka and even KP are so good. But not sure, they are a playoff team. They are still a) young, b) new as a team and c) not stacked with top-level talent behind Luka and Kristaps.

Hypothesis: Mavs purposeful lean on Luka (and some others) I-can-win-this-heroics and hope he (they) can carry the team enough not to be out of the playoffs early with team-chemistry coming along later. An alternative approach would be to have Luka do less, concentrate on getting the team together as early as possible and accept they will stack some losses. Hope they can still reach the playoffs later when the team has come together. Not sure, which will work better but I'd like to see more movement (ball and players) and stronger boxing out/rebounding on the defensive end.
Like Reply
Well bad decision from Luka playing hero-ball with that long 3 all the time, especially in that situastion. Go inside for a quick 2 and keep playing the foul game. Still his performance was yet again, stunning. KP looked improved as well but the rest of the team was pretty much a no-show. I agree that some of our glue guys lost their rhythm, and that could be on Rick.
Like Reply
I have been calling for Mavs to play through Luka in the post for 12 months now it would make the game easier for everyone. There zero readonuka not to get 8 to 10 touches a game on the block..
Like Reply
(11-09-2019, 02:17 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Seth Curry with 12:42 minutes with 3 fouls, 1 steal and a +4 +/-, that's it, zeros for everything else

I am going to beat this drum.

You have an ELITE, 44% career three point shooter and you don't work to purposely get him looks??

So stupid.
Like Reply
(11-09-2019, 07:41 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I am going to beat this drum.

You have an ELITE, 44% career three point shooter and you don't work to purposely get him looks??

So stupid.

I endorse this message.

Reading some of the NY post game articles, they dumped on THJ.  

Mike Breen called it an "intoxicating win."

They have much respect for Luka.

One guy mentioned a statue for Frank at MSG.  lol

What was interesting to me was one article had the Frank attempted dunk on Porzingis.  "In D Face" was the caption.  Now we all know Porzingis blocked the shot and Frank was not even close on getting it to go in but when did facts matter to the NY media.  The picture showed what all Knick fans wanted.  Someone dunking on KP.

Fizdale praised Frank on guarding Doncic and what a great job he did.  If you look at Luka's stats and play last night, Frank did not control anything in that matchup.  

What Frank did was shoot the ball well and play hard. He made critical shots down the stretch. That has the NY media giddy.  I would say Frank had a a nice game but the Knicks won because of their high % shooting the three and the strong play of Randle, Morris, Portis and Gibson, overpowering our guys on the boards.  They wanted it more, other than Doncic, whom they described as "relentless."

The other loser in this game may be DSJ.  One guy said DSJ is expendable now that Frank is the man.

I think we need to be excited that KP was better last night.  Luka is an absolute monster.  RC has to get the rest of the team functioning and in sync with their stars.  I hope to see a much better performance from the team tonight.
Like Reply
The loss = coaching, coaching, coaching...and RC rotations.  The team wasn't ready and the rotations suck.
Like Reply
Add me to the camp that wants Seth to get more burn and more opportunities
Like Reply
I think we are too soft. We got punked last night. They aren't better than us, but they were way more physical and beat us to the ball all night. Our players didn't step up to the challenge. I still stand by the other stuff I said about RC's rotations are absolutely terrible. We need a consistent top 9 with regular minutes.
Like Reply
Kamm, I and a few others have consistently been high on Frank N's potential. There was probably a legit chance to get him for a 2nd round pick earlier. I don't see it happening anymore. Not just based on yesterday's game. If this guy gets in the game regularly he'll contribute. He's disrputive on the defensive end if nothing else.
Like Reply
(11-09-2019, 11:43 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Kamm, I and a few others have consistently been high on Frank N's potential.  There was probably a legit chance to get him for a 2nd round pick earlier.  I don't see it happening anymore. Not just based on yesterday's game. If this guy gets in the game regularly he'll contribute.  He's disrputive on the defensive end if nothing else.

I was one of them too. He would cost one pick less than Wright, has lower salary and is 6 years younger. But to be honest, he played one good game this season. Nevertheless, Wright is a dissapointment for me so far. Far from steal of the summer - unfortunately he didn't show he can be more than a good bench guy.
Like Reply
I am tired of this constant argument about how bigs cannot play in the modern game. We were getting outworked inside and outside yesterday. In that scenario, why would RC not go to a bigger lineup and at least force the Knicks to have to deal with that extra size on offense? Why are we always force to match up to other teams than have them match up to us too. Boban/KP duo have looked good whenever they've been on the floor.

That I blame RC for, just as he is to blame for not having plays to get Seth at leat 5 open looks every game.

I am also tired of the stats on how 3s are better than 2s statistically. Baskets and size closer to the rim also put the other team in foul trouble. I started a thread before the season saying too many 3s is going to kill this team. We can blame RC or scrubs like THJ all we want. At some point it's more on Luka. Transcendent players are always more important than the coach. He has to overrule the coach too if needed, like Kidd took to calling plays in the championship run. There is no need to jack up a bunch of 3s when you have a 7'3" guy and Luka himself who are able to score closer to the basket whenever they want. Instead we play like a team that has no size and think we are better from the outside than we really are. While he is still young, that is squarely on Luka. I am glad we have a franchise player, but we have seen the script of falling in love with step back jumpers being played out with Harden. That leads to some exciting wins in the regular season, but it's fool's gold.
Like Reply
(11-09-2019, 11:43 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Kamm, I and a few others have consistently been high on Frank N's potential.  There was probably a legit chance to get him for a 2nd round pick earlier.  I don't see it happening anymore. Not just based on yesterday's game. If this guy gets in the game regularly he'll contribute.  He's disrputive on the defensive end if nothing else.

I wanted to draft Frank and still love his potential but I’m highly skeptical of the report earlier that he might have been available for a 2nd round pick. 

Its the nix so I suppose there’s no level of incompetence we can truly place them above 100% so maybe it’s possible there was some truth to it.... but even for them, i don’t really see how it made much sense for them to offload him for a 2nd.
Like Reply
Was blessed not to be able to watch this game. I see a lot of RC blame in this thread, and the shoe probably fits, but on the other hand, the box score would indicate what IGT said - no reliable help for Luka and KP (in his best game so far as a Mav). Our struggles in recent games are on Donnie more than RC. That said, 1) Luka needs to get into RC's ear about THJ. Way too much reliance on him (probably to try to prop up his trade value) when we have three far more reliable players in Curry, Wright (yes), and Justin. Even DSJ is consistently better. 2) How the heck do you not play Boban when the Knicks' offseason was famously stockpiling roughneck fours? 

This team needs a decent, starting-level wing and another lay the lumber guy in the post. Unfortunately, all we have is the Barnes trade exception, or the will to add a guy who is even more overpaid than THJ (not sure such a player exists). CP3 is not the answer - plays the wrong position. 

And that Powell extension - ouch.
Like Reply
(11-09-2019, 12:16 PM)Mak Wrote: but even for them, i don’t really see how it made much sense for them to offload him for a 2nd.

Well, they brought Payton and got DSJ. He was third PG at season start and he is paid 5 mil.

And the excellent NY fans hated his guts until this game
Like Reply
Shot selection remains shoddy. Some of these three-point attempts are not quality looks, many with 15+ still on the shot clock. Half their total attempts last night were from long range and they remain less than efficient in this area. Don't even get me started on some of the shots taken in the last five minutes of the game! The last Luka step-back from 30 feet had my remote control sailing into the hallway.

I do not recall New York defenders at any time last night having the ability to deal with Porzingis or Doncic from the foul line down. Unfortunately, I also fail to recollect Dallas leveraging that advantage for extended periods of time. You might see it for a possession or two, but all would be forgotten soon thereafter. These aren't good threes, either. The ball isn't going into the paint then back out for good looks. Hell, were we not sold the virtue of an epic pick-and-roll and two-man game? I dunno. There appeared to be a lot of 1-4 and isolation on the ball. From that, we are seeing the offense devolve into something ugly.

Obviously, this team has some talent. Yes, Luka is a mere wisp of a lad and KP is still trying to find his legs, his game. It does take time. I get all that. But that doesn't mean these issues somehow resolve themselves and I don't know that I trust this organization to act on it except to say, "Shots will fall. Things will work out."

We are not a particularly intelligent team on the floor and many of these mistakes don't take the guile of a ten-year vet to adapt or even steer clear. So yes, while I worship at the alter of #77, it shouldn't require a basketball savant to grasp that a shot like that with 25 seconds on the clock down three and NY struggling at the foul line is probably not the right play to make. I pick on the kid here, because I do expect a lot, though clearly he is not alone in catching it. This has less to do with the production of our big two as they are clearly posting numbers, but more with making better decisions on both ends of the court. And again, that's pointed at a number of players.

Coaches, too.
Like Reply
Just wanted to point out that Luka admitted in the post-game interview that his step-back was stupid. He even wrested the responsibility for losing the game from THJ's grubby hands.
Like Reply