Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Mavs sign G Theo Pinson (6'5", 6'10.75" WS) to Two-Way contract
(12-22-2021, 09:21 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Me in the first half. Pinson is good. Why is he in the g-league?
Me in the second half. Never mind. Stretch to end the 3rd quarter was brutal.
Me after the game. Still better than Bullock. Why is he making 9m per year?

Yeah, his warts started to show a little offensively in the third, but I'm pushing back on the 3rd quarter.  It was brutal with the shooting, but defensively, he was there.  He only played the last 5 minutes of the 3rd and the Mavs went on a run to stretch the lead..and if Frankie hadn't had some tough luck on two plays at the end of the 3rd, it wouldn't have been 10 and probably should have been 15-16 points.

He got called for a foul on Towns, but Towns clearly pushed off it wasn't a foul at all and even extended his arm, so that was NOT on Pinson...that's the award winning officiating of the NBA.  It's like Skin said.  That foul was "one guy is Karl-Anthony Towns, and the other wasn't in the NBA yesterday."

He has one weird pass to Dorian late in the shot clock when they gave it to him again late.

He had A GREAT DIG helping on a post move by Towns and the Mavs threw the outlet pass away.  He had another tipped pass away for a steal, and the Mavs WENT ON THE RUN when Pinson was in there.  He had another breakup on a pass to a cutter, playing help defense.

I'm see what you are looking at, but it's not all scoring.

You can't get enamored with the shooting and miss the other parts of the game.  At least once, they gave him the ball at the end of the shot clock and I was like "why?"...right when he came in the game, he got the ball and had to go one on one with 3 seconds late in the shot clock from the 3 point line...I'm not holding that against him.  Another late shot clock, he drove, got a foul and two free throws.

I don't think they signed him for his offense, but his feel for playing in general, being able to fit in and defensive smarts.  He's shooting 40% from 3 in the G League this year, but that's a bonus, in my opinion.

The fourth was where he had some rough spots...the miss communication with Dwight on the pass...he got caught on a big in transition under the rim (because he actually got back on D) and that was rough.  Missed a couple of 3s... The steal on his pass to DFS (but for Pete's sake, Brunson put was throwing that to Manute Bol on a ladder and it was a miracle Pinson got it, and the Minny player just made a good anticipation) on where the swing pass was going.  But defensively he was still there the whole time.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FA: Mavs sign G Theo Pinson (6'5") via hardship - by TXBamanut - 12-22-2021, 10:04 AM