Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARTICLE: "Luka Doncic and Rick Carlisle: The dissolution of their relationship"
(12-15-2021, 01:58 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Overall comments on article --

I don't have a problem with investigative journalism in sports. There aren't many media types in the DFW market who are willing to risk it, so I generally applaud the few who are. 

The article overall is subject to a criticism that can often be leveled at investigative journalism these days, given the pressure on the journalists to produce views. When something smells a little fishy and  you closely examine some of the stories, it's not that they're wrong, exactly. It's that they're presented in such a manner as to seem more controversial or more significant than maybe they really were. This is pretty common, and I think Tim does some of that here. He's got to make a living. 

Overall takeaways that the article seems to be presenting --

1. Nobody liked Rick. 

2  Rick really did have a doghouse, and was determined to make its residents miserable.

3. Luka did a lot of shouting and cursing at Carlisle, even in public at games. 

4. DSJ got the short end of the stick. 

5. Cuban didn't do much in the way of addressing the dysfunction other than canning Donnie and then hiring Kidd without conducting the usual search process. 

6. Some of the problems with the team culture seem improved, but the on-court performance is disappointing.

I think your summary and your comments are both well done. Not much to disagree with. I think "presented in such a manner as to seem more controversial or more significant than maybe they really were" is fair. 

I don't like the bullying, but like I've said, coaches being jerks has been part of my world view since I was at least 5 years old. 

The thing that I dislike the most about the Rick news is the idea that he'd be paranoid about Jamahl. But, as others have said, Rick gave Jamahl a good report during his job search.
Like Reply
(12-15-2021, 02:08 PM)omahen Wrote: Click on tweet for whole comment

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...0731732993

I've been talking from both sides on this one (if there are two sides), because I can see both sides. 

BUT...if Iztok has something to say, I'll just go with that! He's my new media leader!

[Image: what-he-said-regina-hall.gif]
Like Reply
(12-15-2021, 11:11 AM)Kammrath Wrote: This is a fantastic article

I really don't see this as a good article, or even mediocore one. This is close to as bad as it can be. This tries to make a story out of nothing. Many of those things mentioned, even if true are everyday life of the professional sports places. If we got the truth on all the things that occur, most likely every team has plenty of this stuff and much more than this. Many players are not good enough, and cut. None of this categorizes anyone to bad teammate, or bad coach category. This is just trying to overblow things to make some attention.

Just as an example. RC was right. Mitchell was and is a ton better player. Dallas should never have drafted DSJ. In addition, RC was absolutely correct that DSJ just couldn't play and especially with Luka. Given how he has performed, all these decisions seems correct and justified.

It's trying also to picture Luka in bad light, when all he did was creating historically great performances in his time in Dallas. Understandably in all heat of moments of professional sprots and for winning, it creates heated discussions, just as Jordan, Pippen did, and also as Cristiano Ronaldo does with his coaches. Its called also competitive spirit and a will to win. RC also has this, and Luka also has it. They are both competitive. Obradovic also has it. Ferguson was throwing shoes on his players in Manchester. In fact, I'd be more worried about people that do NOT have and show this competitive spirit, than those that do. This is again a testament how weak the culture is becoming from the side of fans that many fans see something here in stuff like this.

What is more in that article? Well RC failed winning a championship with the recent Mavs team, but it is more due to lack of talent around Luka. Overall, RC scheme has proven better than the one of Kidd so far, he got more out of the team. That is so far, we will see what happens next.

I think it should be clear that if Mavs had Mitchell and a healthy Porzinigis, this would likely have resulted in a championship. The guy was spot on many things, and the talent level simply was not enough for him to go all the way.

Don't forget how many of controversies like these occurred at most likely every championship team in history and much worse than this. This is just brought up if the team doesn't reach the finals, and if one want to make a story.
[-] The following 2 users Like burekemde's post:
  • Fuerza1, omahen
Like Reply
(12-15-2021, 02:48 PM)fifteenth Wrote: The thing that I dislike the most about the Rick news is the idea that he'd be paranoid about Jamahl. But, as others have said, Rick gave Jamahl a good report during his job search.
I think that the reason the Jamahl thing even came to public attention was Rick's implicitly throwing Jamahl under the bus on the way out, volunteering a hope that Kidd would succeed him when Mosley was still considered a candidate. Thus inviting public scrutiny as to why he would do such a weird thing. 

I was disappointed in the unforced error at the time, but it sounds like he was quite frustrated, and I guess we all have our moments of weakness.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(12-15-2021, 03:00 PM)burekemde Wrote: This tries to make a story out of nothing.

Come now. Tim may make more than is there out of it. But it's not nothing.
Like Reply
Most of that article jibes with what I thought was happening with the team at the time. I was a long time defender of Rick but soured on Rick in his last couple years here, something wasn't right with the team. 

And don't get too hung up on only being 14-13. We started 13-14 last season. We start hitting some shots and Luka gets back into shape and we should be fine
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
Tim pretty much reported everything in this article piecemeal in the past.  I guess he wanted to give it a full rehash timeline narrative.  Moar clicks for previous scoops.  Work smarter not harder.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypermav's post:
  • khaled1987
Like Reply
The Mitchell vs DSJ thing is interesting in that maybe Rick had a lot less influence over the roster than I thought.  It just begs so many questions:

-Was Rick consulted on Rondo?
-If Rick didn't have much of a voice and Donnie really wanted Giannis, is that blunder solely on Cuban?
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • khaled1987
Like Reply
(12-15-2021, 03:06 PM)cow Wrote: The Mitchell vs DSJ thing is interesting in that maybe Rick had a lot less influence over the roster than I thought.  It just begs so many questions:

-If Rick didn't have much of a voice and Donnie really wanted Giannis, is that blunder solely on Cuban?

Rondo -- It was reported at the time (and when Rondo left) that Dirk was the moving factor in wanting to acquire Rondo. The analytics department recommended against it, and Rick was reported to be "lukewarm." It was reportedly a move the organization was not particularly enthusiastic about, but was a concession to Dirk's desperation for a better point guard. 

Giannis -- Cuban has presented the Giannis situation in terms of himself overruling Donnie, who was said to be pressing hard for Giannis. Afaik, that's the only "inside" info we have, although it's possible I missed something along the way.
Like Reply
(12-15-2021, 03:06 PM)cow Wrote: The Mitchell vs DSJ thing is interesting in that maybe Rick had a lot less influence over the roster than I thought.  It just begs so many questions:

And would we of made the KP trade if we drafted Mitchell?
Like Reply
(12-15-2021, 03:15 PM)chaparral Wrote: And would we of made the KP trade if we drafted Mitchell?

When it comes to alternate realities, pretty much anything is possible.
Like Reply
(12-15-2021, 03:15 PM)chaparral Wrote: And would we of made the KP trade if we drafted Mitchell?

Assuming NY would want Mitchell in that trade, I doubt it.  Mitchell showed greatness right away.  The KP trade would have made a lot more sense if you could have added him to Mitchell and Luka.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, MangaAfterDark, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-15-2021, 03:22 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: When it comes to alternate realities, pretty much anything is possible.

Smile
Like Reply
A story detailing a specific reason as to why the Franchise player had friction with the former coach, and why a former franchise future cornerstone fell out of the rotation is not news worth telling??
[-] The following 2 users Like MangaAfterDark's post:
  • fifteenth, MFFL
Like Reply
(12-15-2021, 03:29 PM)MangaAfterDark Wrote: A story detailing a specific reason as to why the Franchise player had friction with the former coach, and why a former franchise future cornerstone fell out of the rotation is not news worth telling??

Who was the former franchise future cornerstone?
Like Reply
(12-15-2021, 03:33 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Who was the former franchise future cornerstone?

DSJ?
Like Reply
(12-15-2021, 03:33 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Who was the former franchise future cornerstone?

DSJ obviously.
Like Reply

DSJ. You do not intentionally draft "role players" that high, they intended on DSJ to be an important piece for the franchise, he just did not actualize what the Mavs FO thought he could/would be.
Like Reply
I will admit, I missed on Mitchell as well.  It was a time where my first was born so I didn't watch a lot of basketball.  But I loved Dennis Smith Jr highlights.   I didn't watch many games of his besides his best game against Duke.    For Mitchell, I saw he was a two foot jumper and thought that would limit him.   I was obviously way off.    

I didn't have league pass back then either, but did during Luka's first year.  I quickly came to the conclusion that I was wrong on Dennis and his pairing with Luka would not work.  I did think Smith would have a better career though.
Like Reply
(12-15-2021, 03:37 PM)MangaAfterDark Wrote: DSJ. You do not intentionally draft "role players" that high, they intended on DSJ to be an important piece for the franchise, he just did not actualize what the Mavs FO thought he could/would be.

They probably hoped he would be a successful starter. 

But a franchise cornerstone? A la Dirk and Luka? Really?

Maybe that's the way DSJ saw it. I don't know about the Mavs, lol. 

Doesn't matter now, I guess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply