Poll: How much do you like Dwight Powell?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
F**** that overpaid
38.78%
19 38.78%
Only love
24.49%
12 24.49%
Best player if all time
2.04%
1 2.04%
Pure Diamond
12.24%
6 12.24%
j0n!
22.45%
11 22.45%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Diamond Powell! All Things Dwight - Act V Broken Wings
Star 
In honor of Mak and in face of a lot of criticism give Powell back his own thread again.

Let's talk about the best roll man in the league!
Like Reply
Powell is an average roll player that will eventually be replaced.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I don't even want to waste my breath.  That was a complete Knicks move to give him that contract instead of encouraging him to opt out.
Like Reply
Good team player and locker room guy. Plays with a lot of energy and hustle. Excellent rim runner. The contract might be just a little bit generous, doubt he would get this much on the market.

Certainly deserves his contract if that clown DeAndre is being paid same money for four years :-)
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/7RNmlM356aM
Like Reply
"He's a hard worker!" -Rick Carlisle

Love the way how he and Luka play together. The two-man game they had going at one point last night was very impressive. When you consider how the Maxi and DFS contracts are likely to pan out as bargains, I think it all comes out in the wash. Let's not act like DP represents anywhere near the worst money on the Mavs payroll -- that would be THJ and Courtney Lee.
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/5hsdlzGbLC.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
He is a good perimeter player so in theory he should be a great match with Porzingis who is a great interior defender.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 02:01 PM)Luka_Magic Wrote: "He's a hard worker!" -Rick Carlisle

Love the way how he and Luka play together. The two-man game they had going at one point last night was very impressive. When you consider how the Maxi and DFS contracts are likely to pan out as bargains, I think it all comes out in the wash. Let's not act like DP represents anywhere near the worst money on the Mavs payroll -- that would be THJ and Courtney Lee.
Mavs gave him that much money also due to him being a locker room leader and the hard work he puts in every day by being the first to practice and the last to leave...you want that type of player setting the example for our young players to follow...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I like Powell, I don't know why we needed to lock him up to an extension. I was totally fine with Powell on a 1 year deal or letting him walk if he opted out or trying to come up with a reasonable number had he opted out.

He is a good backup big. I like him and Maxi as a pairing. He is not a 30 mpg starter and I hope the Mavs understand that. Maxi is a better starter but I am not sure he is a 30 mpg starter either. It feels like to me we need 1 more guy. It could be a bona fide starter like an Adams type or more realistically it could be a Favors/Aminu/Iggy/Morris type to join our bigs committee. All 4 of those names are potential future additions. Favors/Morris/Iggy are on 1 year deals and so could be available sooner or later. Aminu is a guy you could get possible one way or another.

The goal then would be to have a token starter, like say Favors and then keep Maxi/Powell on the bench.

If you get Favors for MLE money then you could have:

KP (32mpg) + Favors (24 mpg)
Maxi (20 mpg) / Powell (20 mpg)

Salary-wise KP makes a lot (29m in 2020) but the other guys are MLE level which isn't bad at all.
Like Reply
He would be a really good backup big in a 20-25 minutes role. He is not a 30 plus minute starter and he's very limited offensively outside of catching lobs which teams have caught on to. He's a good permiter defender against bigs and a good athlete. I don't understand at all why we gave him the contract we did. I personally think he's overpaid, but he's a great team guy and a even better community guy. I feel like we need a big that is CLEARLY better than either DP or Maxi.
Like Reply
(11-06-2019, 11:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Powell is an average roll player that will eventually be replaced.

Been hearing this since December 2014 lol.
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/mReUkJ79YGo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/athletique....682/%3famp
Like Reply
He is a role player who has his strengths and fits well with Luka.  Not untouchable but not a scrub either.
I bet if he was on another team we'd be seeing trade ideas urging the MBT to trade for him.
Like Reply
Powell gonna feast tonight.
Like Reply
(11-08-2019, 05:42 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Powell gonna feast tonight.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
Has his strengths and weaknesses but boy his weaknesses are apparent. he can't guard big guys with size. gets totally dismanteled and very often will not close out on 3's
Like Reply
(11-08-2019, 11:05 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 05:42 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Powell gonna feast tonight.

[Image: giphy.gif]

The rigged Dirkie poll did this. We demand justice. LIFT THE CURSE.
Like Reply
Powell stunk tonight!
Like Reply
Powell shouldn't start anymore and see if he can possibly get it going coming off the bench. Maxi is clearly better.
Like Reply