Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 7.5 pt RAPTOR & 8.5 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
60.00%
3 60.00%
Suns
40.00%
2 40.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 15: DAL (9-6) @ PHX (12-3) | 104-112 loss
Dwight Powell, professional scapegoat
Like Reply
(11-20-2021, 12:33 AM)Kammrath Wrote: JB, THJ, FN and RB being 3-23 on threes was KILLER. They shoot even a poor 6-23 and the Mavs suddenly have 9 extra points and this game is COMPLETELY different. 

Missed open shots is KILLING this team 15 games in.

I agree, but I also think at SOME POINT, something has to be done about KP's pick and roll defense if he's going to stay on this team.
Like Reply
These two games really highlighted the difference between Jalen Brunson and Chris Paul when it comes to managing 4th quarters and running an offense. 

Bullock was awful. I was on Team Bullock and was hopeful he could be different. These last two games have started to make me doubt my belief.

I still do not understand why Kidd didn't play Frank more. He was our best guard at times. WCS does not deserve to be on an NBA basketball team. Sterling Brown does not deserve to be on an NBA basketball team. 

One final thought was our spacing was straight awful in the 4th. How many times did the team waste 8 seconds trying to throw the ball to KP in the post but couldn't because there was a guy (Bullock or THJ) in the corner who wouldn't clear out leading to a dead possession? I counted 4.

Sad another good KP game went to waste.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-20-2021, 12:34 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree, but I also think at SOME POINT, something has to be done about KP's pick and roll defense if he's going to stay on this team.

Yeah, especially for the playoffs.....get the O right and this team will win lots of games. But under the microscope of the playoffs there will be some warts exposed (like pick and roll D).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-20-2021, 12:34 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: These two games really highlighted the difference between Jalen Brunson and Chris Paul when it comes to managing 4th quarters and running an offense. 

You can say that again.
Like Reply
(11-20-2021, 12:34 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: These two games really highlighted the difference between Jalen Brunson and Chris Paul when it comes to managing 4th quarters and running an offense. 

Bullock was awful. I was on Team Bullock and was hopeful he could be different. These last two games have started to make me doubt my belief.

I still do not understand why Kidd didn't play Frank more. He was our best guard at times. WCS does not deserve to be on an NBA basketball team. Sterling Brown does not deserve to be on an NBA basketball team. 

One final thought was our spacing was straight awful in the 4th. How many times did the team waste 8 seconds trying to throw the ball to KP in the post but couldn't because there was a guy (Bullock or THJ) in the corner who wouldn't clear out leading to a dead possession? I counted 4.

Sad another good KP game went to waste.

Omoruyi could probably take Brown's spot and be an upgrade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypermav's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
I don't think we ever thought Brunson was approaching HOFer Chris Pual level.
Like Reply
Phoenix is just good man. No shame in losing to them twice without their best player.
Like Reply
(11-20-2021, 12:48 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Phoenix is just good man. No shame in losing to them twice without their best player.

I agree with this. 

But I also think some of what's being brought up is important to fix, eventually.
Like Reply
(11-20-2021, 12:48 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Phoenix is just good man. No shame in losing to them twice without their best player.

To make things worse: their calling card is clearly defense. 3rd best DefRtg so far. Not the best opponent to play without Luka tbh.

Put Luka in, and they have to move Bridges on Luka. And either Brunson or Tim getting defended by an inferior (different) defender. Tho guess Booker has to guard Brunson or THJ. Huge part of NBA offenses is just picking on "weaker" parts of the opponents defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sefant's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
On the brightside while the Mavs lost, almost every other team in the West lost too. 

Clips lost to the Pelicans (lol what?), Nuggets lost to the Bulls. Lakers lost in embarrassing fashion to the Celtics. Kings and OKC round out the bottom tier both losing tonight as well.

Basically everyone aside from the Warriors and Suns lost and that to me is as good of a silver lining as there can be.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I think it is time to check if there are any possible solution in Texas Legends or anywhere else - even if only temporarily. Because at least two players should not appear anymore: WCS and SBrown - maybe it is better to try Carlik, Omoruyi or Jackson...or Moses.
For the time being the hard, realiable core consist only of KP, Hardaway and Brunson, followed by a streaky bunch of players who are one day brilliant and next game abysmal (Powell Bullock, Frank etc.), followed by above mentioned unplayables.
Like Reply
(11-20-2021, 12:34 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Dwight Powell, professional scapegoat

On the contrary, it´s time to stop making excuses for Powell just because he´s a nice guy and tries hard. I specifically paid attention to him for the first six minutes of this game and he did literally nothing on both ends of the floor. He grabbed one defensive rebound at the 3pt line with no other player within 10 feet. Otherwise he ran around setting some screens and otherwise stood around on offense, and got a few threes drained in his face, got scored on at the rim and in the mid-range, while giving up a couple of offensive boards. He was better in the 2nd half, but in the first half he was horrible. I refuse to believe that Omoruyi is less of a distraction on defense than Powell. If you listen to Mavs fans, you´d think setting a screen, dunking a basketball and being a nice person are superstar money skills. Those are minimum salary level skills, if you cannot play defense. Plus he´s an awful fit with the starting unit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Omuruyi can definitely play SBrown's minutes. They are practically playing SBrown as a small ball power forward. Omuruyi can fill in that role. His energy and physicality will be an asset to the Mavs.
Like Reply
(11-20-2021, 05:06 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: Omuruyi can definitely play SBrown's minutes. They are practically playing SBrown as a small ball power forward. Omuruyi can fill in that role. His energy and physicality will be an asset to the Mavs.

I didn't have a problem with Brown's minutes last night.  He needs to hit his shots and he will only get a few a game.  If he doesn't consistently open shots, than he will not be productive on the court.  With that being said, I think he provides some toughness and leadership where if he hits his shots than these become nice additions.

With that being said, I am more interested in seeing Frankie get minutes now.   Long term, I want Josh Green to beat Brown out for minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
What I am looking for is consistency. KP, Hardaway and Brunson do have their bad days, but in general they are consistently solid or good (lately). But a lot of players are like yo-yo, one day up, next day down and repeating that ad nauseam - you never know what to expect. It is impossible to build a winning team out of inconsistent players...
Like Reply
(11-20-2021, 09:12 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Long term, I want Josh Green to beat Brown out for minutes.

I'm not sure I expect Green to be here after the deadline, at this point. 

Sadly, I think it might time to let our hopes for him go.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
This game is on JB.  Bad game, horrible forth quarter.  Some of the worst horse blinders we've seen from him in recent history.

I was really impressed by Burke these last two games.  He worked his ass off on defense last night.  I'd give him a few minutes moving forward.

And speaking of defense and needing more minutes, Frank might be the steal of the offseason.  He was disruptive last night.  I'm really impressed with his ball handling too.  If he can figure out a way to more consistently get shots to fall, he's a bargain.
Like Reply
Why ya gotta bring horses into this COW!
Like Reply
(11-20-2021, 06:14 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Why ya gotta bring horses into this COW!

lol

I missed having Rick last night.  JB should have been yanked in the 4th quarter.  Kidd's decision to bring Powell in down the stretch also made no sense.  Then again, I'd argue that giving Powell any minutes is usually a mistake.
Like Reply