Poll: Are you concerned about Jalen Brunson?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, absolutely
26.23%
16 26.23%
Not at all
62.30%
38 62.30%
I don't know
11.48%
7 11.48%
Total 61 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson
What we are seeing from Brunson on the offensive end is the consistent version of his best moments from last year. Consistent offensive goodness - what more could we ask for him on the offensive end? He certainly doesn't have the explosiveness of Portland's backcourt and never will, but he is nearly as smart on the offensive end as Luka is. I think the 2020-21 version of JB is extremely underrated around here as pertains to the offensive end. The issue of his future with the Mavs has to do with two things: 1) he needs to be a least one level better on the defensive end, and 2) the Mavs do indeed have to commit to him as a 30+ minute player, which likely means he has to start. 

That's the dilemma - he's our most valuable trade asset if we aren't willing to trade KP before the deadline, but to me, he's the most untouchable Mav outside of Luka. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he and Luka were the only current players left if the Mavs reached the level of being a contending team in say, the 2023-24 season.

(02-15-2021, 06:33 PM)Hypermav Wrote: The Luka/Brunson draft looking pretty solid.

Obviously a *great* draft, but the problem is, it's our only *good* draft since Devin Harris, who is retired. Oof!
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1364432362411421697

https://twitter.com/AndrewDBailey/status...6446539777

https://twitter.com/RobMahoney/status/13...4279029760

Elite finisher (FG - 60% finisher on drives [4th in the entire NBA]; 80% finisher near the rim), Elite PnR player, one of the most efficient 4Q scorers in the league, plus defender. According to undisputed "advanced" analytics, the second best Maverick player this season.

Oh yeah, the PERFECT fit next to Luka (what happened to this once upon a time stay-or-go-home narrative?). But please, trade him Donnie! Save us!!
Like Reply
Proud member of the Brunson Fan Club since day 1...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 08:39 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Proud member of the Brunson Fan Club since day 1...

Believe it or not, you have me beat. I am a Day 2 Bandwagon Jalen Brunson Fan.
Like Reply
Brunson has been solid since day 1. Only time questions were relevant was when he was hurt last year. Kid has been great. I used to see comments about him having a bad attitude which was odd since I've never noticed a single attitude from Brunson. Would love to see him be able to continue to grow here and be a long term piece...
Like Reply
JB+Luka continues to be Luka's 2nd best big minute pairing this year (2nd to WCS+Luka):

314 mins
ORating: 113.7 
DRating: 106.1 
Net: +7.6
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 08:35 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1364432362411421697

https://twitter.com/AndrewDBailey/status...6446539777

https://twitter.com/RobMahoney/status/13...4279029760

Elite finisher (FG - 60% finisher on drives [4th in the entire NBA]; 80% finisher near the rim), Elite PnR player, one of the most efficient 4Q scorers in the league, plus defender. According to undisputed "advanced" analytics, the second best Maverick player this season.

Oh yeah, the PERFECT fit next to Luka (what happened to this once upon a time stay-or-go-home narrative?). But please, trade him Donnie! Save us!!

I am glad the narrative that Jalen can't play with Luka has been proven to be incorrect.  I always believed Jalen and Luka could play well together.   I think Jalen is best playing with a star creator, where he can play off that player.  You need tough minded players to play with Luka.  That is Jalen.   I think Jalen even defers a little to much to Luka.   But he does not cower to him which some players have done.    It is a delicate balance, but I think Jalen does it well.

I think it is going to be interesting to see what continues to happen to close games.  I don't think Jalen finishes every game, but it is something to watch.  I don't want to judge Richardson much at this point, but I would be lying if I said I prefer Jalen and/or Hardaway on the floor late in most games.    Against Boston, DFS got finishing minutes despite being bad on offense.   If Richardson is best guarding the 6'5 and under types, it will be interesting to see what happens there.   In addition, Dallas has two youngsters in Green and Terry who will probably win minutes in the next year or two.

If Hardaway and Brunson are here next year, is Richardson redundancy?
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 09:31 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: If Hardaway and Brunson are here next year, is Richardson redundancy?

Yes, imo, though I bet there are many here who'd rather keep Richardson and move on from Hardaway. If it's me, I'm rolling with Luka/Brunson/THJ with whatever extra minutes exist going to Terry/Green.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 12:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes, imo, though I bet there are many here who'd rather keep Richardson and move on from Hardaway. If it's me, I'm rolling with Luka/Brunson/THJ with whatever extra minutes exist going to Terry/Green.

Why? I think that THJ-Brunson-Richardson rotation is great. You need top defense, you put in JRich. You need a flamethrower, you have THJ. Brunson provides the playmaking. Enough minutes for everyone to go around. I would only be moving one of them for a significant upgrade either in guard rotation or other position of need. And I would certainly not let anyone go. If JRich is not the future, we should trade him now, not let him walk for nothing.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 12:48 PM)omahen Wrote: Why? I think that THJ-Brunson-Richardson rotation is great. You need top defense, you put in JRich. You need a flamethrower, you have THJ. Brunson provides the playmaking. Enough minutes for everyone to go around.

I don't love the idea that you'd have to play lineups with BOTH Hardaway and Richardson together, personally. I felt differently before the season, but I feel now like neither of them are really ideal at the 3. Sure, for stretches of small ball (but you'd have Green for those minutes), but once both THJ and Richardson get paid, you're kind of locked into find ways to max their minutes out. I like DFS, and I'd like to add another player at his general size and length, too. So to me, The Luka/Brunson/Hardaway trio works best if they're all three (mostly) confined to the two guard positions. 

That's just the way I've been leaning lately.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 01:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't love the idea that you'd have to play lineups with BOTH Hardaway and Richardson together, personally. I felt differently before the season, but I feel now like neither of them are really ideal at the 3. Sure, for stretches of small ball (but you'd have Green for those minutes), but once both THJ and Richardson get paid, you're kind of locked into find ways to max their minutes out. I like DFS, and I'd like to add another player at his general size and length, too. So to me, The Luka/Brunson/Hardaway trio works best if they're all three (mostly) confined to the two guard positions. 

THJ has frequent off nights. If you rely on him a lot, you will have problem on any such night, if you don't have another guy in the rotation capable of taking some of that load. I think the guard rotation was just great lately. Don't know how many minutes THJ and JRich played together in this stretch.ž

Green - if you want to contend, his ceiling for next couple of years is likely Burke role.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 01:27 PM)omahen Wrote: THJ has frequent off nights. If you rely on him a lot, you will have problem on any such night, if you don't have another guy in the rotation capable of taking some of that load. I think the guard rotation was just great lately. Don't know how many minutes THJ and JRich played together in this stretch.ž

Yeah, I suppose it really depends on how Richardson's next contract is going to look. 

I'm ready to commit to Brunson being a TRUE third guard (regardless of who starts) and I honestly don't think the value of THJ and Richardson are even close. I take Hardaway and never look back (I realize not everyone agrees, which is fine). I suppose if Richardson is cheap enough and ready to be 4TH in the pecking order, I bring him back. I have a feeling that's not the case, and that using his expiring contract in a trade or letting him expire for room are both going to seem like better moves to me than re-signing him. But again, depends on the number. Overall, I'm just not a fan of his yet, though I'm still hoping.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 12:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes, imo, though I bet there are many here who'd rather keep Richardson and move on from Hardaway. If it's me, I'm rolling with Luka/Brunson/THJ with whatever extra minutes exist going to Terry/Green.

Playing with Luka has made THJ an elite role player. It has not done that for JRich, in spite of his better defense against small guards. I don't think his defense against 6-5+ players had been that great tbh. THJ stays, and I'm fine with that as long as he doesn't get more than 16 mil per season.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 02:22 PM)embellisher Wrote: Playing with Luka has made THJ an elite role player. It has not done that for JRich, in spite of his better defense against small guards.
That didn't happen immediately for THJ. It took him a bit, just like it'll take other players a bit. This team hasn't played fully together and healthy all season. What exactly were you expecting?
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 12:48 PM)omahen Wrote: Why? I think that THJ-Brunson-Richardson rotation is great. You need top defense, you put in JRich. You need a flamethrower, you have THJ. Brunson provides the playmaking. Enough minutes for everyone to go around. I would only be moving one of them for a significant upgrade either in guard rotation or other position of need. And I would certainly not let anyone go. If JRich is not the future, we should trade him now, not let him walk for nothing.

Maybe in time it all works itself out.  Richardson, in theory, should be able to provide a skill set this team needs.  Although right now, Hardaway is in the perfect role here.  And this team really needs his offense.  He is almost invaluable.  Even more so when we are clicking as a team.    Brunson is just a smart, tough player who deserves 25-30 minutes a night how he is playing.   If both these are true, does the team feel comfortable having Richardson guarding the bigger wings like Boston's or the Clippers of the world?  Or is he really suited guarding guards.   If this team prefers DFS in that role, it makes resigning Richardson more of a question mark to me.

Ok sorry for turning a Brunson post into some other players.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 03:05 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Maybe in time it all works itself out.  Richardson, in theory, should be able to provide a skill set this team needs.  Although right now, Hardaway is in the perfect role here.  And this team really needs his offense.  He is almost invaluable.  Even more so when we are clicking as a team.    Brunson is just a smart, tough player who deserves 25-30 minutes a night how he is playing.   If both these are true, does the team feel comfortable having Richardson guarding the bigger wings like Boston's or the Clippers of the world?  Or is he really suited guarding guards.   If this team prefers DFS in that role, it makes resigning Richardson more of a question mark to me.

But all three are playing enough minutes, with a hot hand on any single day getting more of them. Mavs literally have no wing ready to play behind DFS, so if you lose JRich and start THJ, your only reliable bench guy on positions 1-3 is Brunson. Next in line is Burke and then Green. Even if Green really improves, he would still have to play around 20 minutes per game (unless you give those minutes to Burke). As it is, it is great imho. You lose either of those three and you get a big hole in the lineup. Of course it all depends on money. As it is, I doubt THJ or JRich can get more than 60/4 deal. 

I am not opposed to move any of them, but I would never just let them walk in FA
Like Reply
Can anyone post Zach Lowe's Ten things I like and don't column today where he talks about Brunson?
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 10:10 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Can anyone post Zach Lowe's Ten things I like and don't column today where he talks about Brunson?

It might get me killed but Zach Lowe says

- "Dallas Mavericks fans need to embrace the full Brunson experience because he's been awesome." (yeah, right! trade this bum!) 

- "Brunson might be the Mavs second best player." 

- "Shoots 50% on midrangers, 74% at the rim, something we expect from LeBron." 

- Goes into how good of a SCREENER Brunson is for Luka, and how well they playoff each other (Carlisle you listening? Because I know you are not watching!) 

- Brunson shoots 52% on corner 3's, talks about how important that is next to Luka. 

- Also talks about a shot Brunson made vs all-star, future HOF Chris Paul that reminded him of Steve Nash.

"F*** you, Zach Lowe." - Mark Cuban
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 03:01 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: That didn't happen immediately for THJ. It took him a bit, just like it'll take other players a bit. This team hasn't played fully together and healthy all season. What exactly were you expecting?

Well,  I was hoping for at least 3pt pct in line with his career average. In THJ's case, it has been better than career average.
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 11:35 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: It might get me killed but Zach Lowe says

Why would this get you killed? You didn't copy paste - I think it was a nice summary.
Like Reply