Poll: Are you concerned about Jalen Brunson?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, absolutely
26.23%
16 26.23%
Not at all
62.30%
38 62.30%
I don't know
11.48%
7 11.48%
Total 61 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson
(12-19-2019, 08:47 AM)DrMav Wrote: I think that's what we get for the most part which makes it striking to see his BBIQ flee from him in situations where it is needed most.

Agree on this to some extent. But still the team had only 7 turnovers so it was lead greatly. Last turnover was exactly the same move that worked brilliantly against Milwaukee. Just that the player wasn't standing where Brunson thought he should stand. 

Perhaps team/fans are expecting too much from a "below-average athletic measurables" player in clutch situations when defense tightens.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/12...6902944775
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-19-2019, 09:05 AM)omahen Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 08:47 AM)DrMav Wrote: I think that's what we get for the most part which makes it striking to see his BBIQ flee from him in situations where it is needed most.

Agree on this to some extent. But still the team had only 7 turnovers so it was lead greatly. Last turnover was exactly the same move that worked brilliantly against Milwaukee. Just that the player wasn't standing where Brunson thought he should stand. 

Perhaps team/fans are expecting too much from a "below-average athletic measurables" player in clutch situations when defense tightens.

Ballhandling and passing aren't his problem. Mostly it's him playing heroball when things go wrong so it does count as a shot attempt and not a turnover. At least that is the impression I got.
Like Reply
A chair in the fourth. Folding under pressure. Good game otherwise.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 06:11 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: A chair in the fourth. Folding under pressure. Good game otherwise.

THJ was much more of the issue. Brunson had a really bad last possession....though he still got a WIDE open look. He also made the three point play when nobody else was willing to step up and be the alpha....

It is almost like this team was missing an alpha-dog out there...... Wink
Like Reply
Would rather have Isaiah Thomas. Neither can defend anything but at least he won't always look lost out there and can deliver a big shot
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 06:13 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 06:11 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: A chair in the fourth. Folding under pressure. Good game otherwise.

THJ was much more of the issue. Brunson had a really bad last possession....though he still got a WIDE open look. He also made the three point play when nobody else was willing to step up and be the alpha....

It is almost like this team was missing an alpha-dog out there...... Wink

Hardaway has his own thread Smile.
Like Reply
Curry was absolutely horrible this game...
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 06:22 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Would rather have Isaiah Thomas. Neither can defend anything but at least he won't always look lost out there and can deliver a big shot

Big time bullshit with regard to Brunson. Didn't see the game this evening, so I allow he may have had a bad defensive game, but he's objectively been one of the best defensive point guards in the league this year, so you're 100% trading defense for whatever IT brings.
Like Reply
Apostle Power unwitnessed.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 06:51 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 06:22 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Would rather have Isaiah Thomas. Neither can defend anything but at least he won't always look lost out there and can deliver a big shot

Big time bullshit with regard to Brunson. Didn't see the game this evening, so I allow he may have had a bad defensive game, but he's objectively been one of the best defensive point guards in the league this year, so you're 100% trading defense for whatever IT brings.
UHh What?? His defense is worse than barea as all he does is flop without even getting the calls JJB would. Many second chance hoops are scored against him and he gives up ground when "defending" in space. Im no fan of IT but defensively, it would be a wash. JB is great running the offense vs backups and dictating team ball but once he starts "feelin it" and shooting (often with more misses than makes), he needs to be reeled in just like THJ.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 06:51 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

Without googling any defensive stats, I can’t believe this claim. He looks like a terrible defender based on the eye test. That’s why he is ok off the bench. Less likely to get exploited.
Like Reply
Since Luka has been out, Jalen Brunson leads the entire NBA in assists adjusted, which accounts for assists, secondary (hockey) assists, and free throw assists at 11.4 per game; Luka averages 10.5 per game for the season (ranked 3rd overall) for comparison. 

He is doing this against 5 of the NBA's best teams, 4 of them being elite defensively. 

Furthermore, he is averaging 15 ppg, 9 apg, and 5 rpg on efficient shooting numbers.
Like Reply
(12-23-2019, 02:53 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Since Luka has been out, Jalen Brunson leads the entire NBA in assists adjusted, which accounts for assists, secondary (hockey) assists, and free throw assists at 11.4 per game; Luka averages 10.5 per game for the season (ranked 3rd overall) for comparison. 

He is doing this against 5 of the NBA's best teams, 4 of them being elite defensively. 

Furthermore, he is averaging 15 ppg, 9 apg, and 5 rpg on efficient shooting numbers.
Ast/To Ratio is also really good. Overall he definitely played his best games as an NBA player in that stretch.
Like Reply
A lot of negativity surrounding Justin Jackson's subpar play since December, and deservedly so.

But on a more positive note, Jalen Brunson has quietly shot 40% from three since December to go along with 9 ppg and 4 apg in only 19 mins per game. 

Another Fun Fact: Brunson is tied at 8th in the entire NBA at charges drawn. Many fans believe Barea is a savant at this but Brunson is on pace to quadruple Barea's best season in drawing charges. Wow!
Like Reply
The advanced data show Brunson is quit good. I’m just not sure if his value to the Mavs wouldn’t be higher in a trade. He’s a pure point guard, and no one is supplanting Luka there as he has GOAT potential. Brunson is too good to get 15 backup PG minutes, but not really cut out to be a wing or play off the ball, like Wright is. I think trade is his best future.
Like Reply
I'm not for shipping off a back up point guard just because he's good. We need a good back up point guard. If his need for minutes is a team problem then I think there are other ways to address that problem than to trade him.
Like Reply
(02-16-2020, 01:58 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The advanced data show Brunson is quit good.  I’m just not sure if his value to the Mavs wouldn’t be higher in a trade.  He’s a pure point guard, and no one is supplanting Luka there as he has GOAT potential.  Brunson is too good to get 15 backup PG minutes, but not  really cut out to be a wing or play off the ball, like Wright is.  I think trade is his best future.

Brunson and Luka have not mixed well at all on the court.

This year their rating together on the court is +1.3 which is 4.4 lower than the team's overall rating of +5.7.

Last year their rating together on the court was -4.6 which is 3.1 lower than the team's overall rating of -1.5.

I think the experiment is over. Either Brunson only plays when Luka sits OR use Brunson in a trade. I vote for the latter.
Like Reply
I don't think the experiment is over. Glad we hadnt already decided the Luka/KP experiment was over. There is still growth to be had by this team. Luka and Brunson on the court together is one of those growth edges.
Like Reply
(02-16-2020, 02:43 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Glad we hadnt already decided the Luka/KP experiment was over.

Two things that make that incomparable:

1) Luka/KP have been +0.1 better than the team overall (so +5.8) in 790 minutes. They also play VERY different roles and positions that just need time to harmonize.

2) Luka/Jalen have played over 1000 minutes together over the course of two seasons, with training camp and practices in addition. They play the same role and same position, so when they play together one of them is asked to be something he is not.
Like Reply