Poll: Are you concerned about Jalen Brunson?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, absolutely
26.23%
16 26.23%
Not at all
62.30%
38 62.30%
I don't know
11.48%
7 11.48%
Total 61 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson
(04-05-2021, 11:11 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The strawman is alife. Went through the entire thread. Cannot find a single poster that wants to get rid of him. More about asset management and fit. Brunson is the most valuable trade asset (besides Luka/KP). That´s a compliment. He is the 3rd (this season probably 2nd) best player on the roster. Problem is his contract situation. Are we sure that he wants to stay (play a 6th man role)? Can the Mavs match contract offers from other teams? Is it smarter to trade?

Same for his defense. In a large sample size his numbers are solid. Doesn´t mean that he cannot be targeted because of his lack of size and athleticism. That´s not only a problem for him. All undersized guards (even CP3, Curry...) had similar problems in the past.

You think you're refuting his argument, but you're actually proving that calling his target a straw man is a calumny against him. 

"Trade Jalen Brunson" isn't at the same level of Mavs hatred as "Trade Luka," but it's not as far from it as many think. I thought we were all Mavs fans here. Most of the players that get thrown out there as targets for a JB trade would not be upgrades on him *at all*.
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 10:54 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Jalen Brunson finishes drives at 62.7%, which is tied for #1 in the entire NBA. Who is he tied with? Super duper Greek freak Giannis Antentokounmpo. Other players right behind them: LeBron James and Luka Doncic. I'd say that's ELITE company. 

Brunson is virtually tied with Steph Curry at 64% true shooting, which is yes, as you might have guessed, #1 amongst NBA guards. Ranked #12 overall when you include bigs or wings like Zion, Gobert, MPJ, etc. I'd say that's ELITe company. 

Currently, he holds the BEST on/off defensive rating on the Dallas Mavericks at a +5.4, not bad for a player who really SUCKS on that end of the floor and is an automatic layup line for opposing players? I would imagine it being much worse since NBA teams have just been exposing him all season on defense!!! 

So, here we are. ELITE finisher with ELITE efficiency and is the #1 difference maker on defense on the Mavs roster. Brunson makes $1.8M next season. 

Say it with me true MFFL's, TRADE JALEN BRUNSON!!!

I am partially walking back my concern(contract) with Brunson.  Non-All Star rookie scale extensions(or what ever theyre called) is not much per year...seems to be sub 20M...

Why would Brunson stay in Dallas with those  elite numbers?

Why wouldnt we sell high if his value is so damn high?  

Is Brunson just a God to us Mavs fans because we seem to suck at drafting and have a lack of dribblers/creators on this team?  Is it far fetched to suggest that you could find another Brunson in draft or by trade for a fraction of Brunson's extension cost?

Did you watch FVV get shut down a few years ago at the end of a crucial game?  Regular season defenses arent the best way to evaluate, imo.

Again...I kind of walk back my concern with Brunson.   I like the kid a lot...but asset management and contracts seem to be all the rage these days.  You bring it up with Brunson and you get shot at.   I get it...he is the secondary playmaker we need...he is on our team already.  Does that mean sweep concerns under the rug?

If you pay him 20M...what are your expectations of him late game in a playoff atmosphere?

Stats dont mean much unless they are stats based off playoff minutes,  late in close games or against the other teams' best rotations.   IMO.
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 11:48 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Stats dont mean much unless they are stats based off playoff minutes,  late in close games or against the other teams' best rotations.   IMO.
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 11:43 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I thought we were all Mavs fans here.

I thought it was obvious. You are one of the rare Mavs fans here. The rest of us are fans of other teams, looking to snatch Luka. When that didn't happen, the attention was turned towards KP and now Brunson. Sooner or later we will get one.
Like Reply
I've been vocal in the past about trading Brunson, in equal parts due to his size, his game, his attitude and to screw with people.  And while I still have niggles about his game, his play this year has been a revelation.  He's our most improved player by a country mile.  I still have concerns about him as an every game starter, especially in the playoffs when matchups tend to get exploited more.  A far lesser concern is his personality which rubs me the wrong way.  It's hard to describe but he carries himself oddly, never satisfied with his station on the team. That proverbial chip on his should is probably why he's so good.  And by all accounts, his teammates love him.  KP often talks glowingly about him.  So maybe I need to retire as a body language doctor but if I were betting my life it, I think Jalen would take lesser money to go somewhere else to be the starter as long as the contracts were in the same ballpark.
Like Reply
Brunson has been given the JET role now...stagger with Luka and join him in closing the game...I think this is a winning situation for the team...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 02:11 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Brunson has been given the JET role now...stagger with Luka and join him in closing the game...I think this is a winning situation for the team...

No headband, no Jet.
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 02:11 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Brunson has been given the JET role now...stagger with Luka and join him in closing the game...I think this is a winning situation for the team...

So, Richardson is Stephenson.  Brunson is kind of a Terry/Barea hybrid, which means THJ gets some minutes at SG and some at SF.  It isn’t exactly like Kidd/Terry/Stephenson/Barea, but Luka/Brunson/Richardson/THJ covers a lot of the same bases (except we don’t really replicate Kidd’s D).

I can see...to some extent...KP/Maxi being a modern era Dirk/Chandler.  We certainly do have a committee of backup centers after that.  What we haven’t really had is that three besides Finney that can also play some four.  That 2011 team got it’s Dirk backup minutes from Matrix, but Butler/Peja also got 3/4 minutes.  We are kind of short there in a substantial way.  The 2011 team played an 8 man rotation plus a few minutes from a backup center.  We are still shy that 8th man between Maxi and DFS (whether that be a starter for one of them or a bench player of very high quality).
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 03:06 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, Richardson is Stephenson.  Brunson is kind of a Terry/Barea hybrid, which means THJ gets some minutes at SG and some at SF.  It isn’t exactly like Kidd/Terry/Stephenson/Barea, but Luka/Brunson/Richardson/THJ covers a lot of the same bases (except we don’t really replicate Kidd’s D).

I can see...to some extent...KP/Maxi being a modern era Dirk/Chandler.  We certainly do have a committee of backup centers after that.  What we haven’t really had is that three besides Finney that can also play some four.  That 2011 team got it’s Dirk backup minutes from Matrix, but Butler/Peja also got 3/4 minutes.  We are kind of short there in a substantial way.  The 2011 team played an 8 man rotation plus a few minutes from a backup center.  We are still shy that 8th man between Maxi and DFS (whether that be a starter for one of them or a bench player of very high quality).

Imagine Tyson/Matrix on this team.

Is New York ready to give up Mitchell Robinson yet?
Like Reply
Brunson has developed into a great NBA player. Developing into a star player - if not already a star, at very least in terms of level of play, in terms of recognition, likely not, but that is coming. He is the second best player for the Mavericks IMO. Unique skillset, not based on athletic ability. Meaning, one gets production for a very long time, consistently. Few players in NBA can finish around the rim as efficient as Brunson.

His trajectory is only pointing upwards. And fast. You never trade players with such a trajectory Brunson is at, and the way he develops. You can trade players that have reached the peak, but especially those whose trajectory pointing down and decreasing skill and level of play.

Brunson, as Luka, is a born winner, and pure basketball player. In order to trade such a player, with such trajectory path he is on, would require another young star, with similar trajectory.

Very high bbIQ. We have seen lately what happens when we have several polished high bbIQ players on the court same time. The ball movement has dramatically improved. Luka, Brunson, THJ and Melli. All of who i consider smart players, that know how to pass, but all that know how to take advantage of the smallest lanes and holes in the defense, to drive and finish. The ball movement, and the ability to take advantage of the holes in defense, the holes created by this great ball movement, has been great. We have not seen much of this for long time previously, but now with the players we have and how they have developed, this becomes another dimension for this team. At time we look like the old Kings ball movement (webber vlade etc. team). Its great basketball to watch. Defense in particular has improved, and I see Brunson as part of that. He knows how to hold his own.

Luka, Brunson are pieces of a multi championship team. This is not where to fix things. Very likely the two best picks of that draft class. IMO we should keep both for rest of their career, and build around them.
Like Reply
The other night I had to stream the game and had the announcers for the Wizzards...they knew who he was, how great he can play, and heaped praise on him all game long...

That stood out to me over anything else they said during the game...
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 05:41 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: The other night I had to stream the game and had the announcers for the Wizzards...they knew who he was, how great he can play, and heaped praise on him all game long...

That stood out to me over anything else they said during the game...

As someone who mostly watches away announcing crews, there has been a massive uptick in Jalen praise the last few months.
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 06:39 PM)cow Wrote: As someone who mostly watches away announcing crews, there has been a massive uptick in Jalen praise the last few months.

I played pirate again tonight and it was the same praise level as the game before...
Like Reply
Will Jalen be Designated?  Luka has to be.  You can have two rookies designated.

If my math is correct and I didnt read the Designated rookie rules too fast...25% of a 115M cap is 28.9M he would be eligible for if designated.

Edit:  I dont think there is any reason to Designate Brunson after reading further.  And..after reading I cant tell if you can Designate or Rose Rule 2nd round rookies.  Dont see why you couldnt if they were producing and you wanted to pay them.  

If Brunson's value is so high...wouldnt another team(maybe small market team with cap) offer him near the 25%?  Or is his value nowhere near that?  Dudes stats from above suggest Brunson is Elite...why would no team offer him near the 25%?  Will the Mavs?

I am seeing a lot of different figures thrown around about Brunson value...mostly between 10M and 20M.  But if 25% is what he can be paid and he is on everyones radar...wouldnt between 10M and 20M seem low?  Or am I wrong about the 25% thing?  Or is no team even close to offering him near the 25%(if thats correct)?
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 01:17 PM)cow Wrote: I've been vocal in the past about trading Brunson, in equal parts due to his size, his game, his attitude and to screw with people.  And while I still have niggles about his game, his play this year has been a revelation.  He's our most improved player by a country mile.  I still have concerns about him as an every game starter, especially in the playoffs when matchups tend to get exploited more.  A far lesser concern is his personality which rubs me the wrong way.  It's hard to describe but he carries himself oddly, never satisfied with his station on the team. That proverbial chip on his should is probably why he's so good.  And by all accounts, his teammates love him.  KP often talks glowingly about him.  So maybe I need to retire as a body language doctor but if I were betting my life it, I think Jalen would take lesser money to go somewhere else to be the starter as long as the contracts were in the same ballpark.

I will own up to sharing your views in the past about Brunson's attitude, and saw the exact same things. I do think he wants a starting job, and to get some recognition. My hope in him staying here has a lot to do with the friendship he has developed with Luka (I remember seeing some quotes about it earlier this year). No need for him to be jealous if he starts getting his share of the attention. People keep talking about him having to guard big guards. How often does Luka guard the point guard? Start JB in as the second ballhandler, and have Luka guard the weaker of the other team's wings. Heck, Luka can guard fours in most cases as well as he guards any other position.

(04-05-2021, 12:20 PM)omahen Wrote: I thought it was obvious. You are one of the rare Mavs fans here. The rest of us are fans of other teams, looking to snatch Luka. When that didn't happen, the attention was turned towards KP and now Brunson. Sooner or later we will get one.

I know, I went somewhat overboard. But this is a philosophical matter, as I said. Why does everyone not named Luka have to be biodegradable?
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 09:15 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I will own up to sharing your views in the past about Brunson's attitude, and saw the exact same things. I do think he wants a starting job, and to get some recognition. My hope in him staying here has a lot to do with the friendship he has developed with Luka (I remember seeing some quotes about it earlier this year). No need for him to be jealous if he starts getting his share of the attention. People keep talking about him having to guard big guards. How often does Luka guard the point guard? Start JB in as the second ballhandler, and have Luka guard the weaker of the other team's wings. Heck, Luka can guard fours in most cases as well as he guards any other position.

I haven't read much about him and Luka but like I mentioned before, KP's face glows when JB comes up in interviews.  People here have mentioned the CJ comp to Brunson and while he's not that athlete, the way he is playing right now makes me see it.  I know we joke a lot about Redd Foxx, but JB has the looks and personality to match...haha.  I just wish he seemed happier.  I would have flipped him for just about any marginal upgrade these past years but you'd really have to blow me out of the water for me to consider it this year.  

As far as being a starter is concerned, I'm not so concerned about the regular season and being abused.  Playoff series are a different matter.  For example, as great as Melli has been playing for us, we probably couldn't play him in the playoffs.  If I was the opposing team, I'd just throw doubles at Luka and dare him to shoot.
Like Reply
I think this offense is going to be incredible when JB takes JR's place in the starting lineup. It might not happen until next season. JB will help take this offense to the next level, and you can back-fill some of his scoring off the bench and bring in some defense as well.
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 09:15 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: People keep talking about him having to guard big guards. How often does Luka guard the point guard? Start JB in as the second ballhandler, and have Luka guard the weaker of the other team's wings. Heck, Luka can guard fours in most cases as well as he guards any other position.
I’ve seen enough of Luka’s defense to know that he can be a good defender when he wants to be. I think it’s a combination of knowing that he has to shoulder so much offensive responsibility and that he is still has a lot to do to optimize his physical body.

I think the latter will happen as he ages and matures while the former will happen as he gets more talent around him. Brunson can definitely be a part of that.
Like Reply
Perkins shouted out Brunson on The Jump today.
Like Reply
So, let me start out as saying I really like what JB has done this year. You guys don’t have to tap the breaks on 2nd best player on the team and star player talk, but I’m here to say, it wasn’t long ago that our JB star, second best player on the team couldn’t star his way past OKC. I myself will tap the brakes on that talk until I can see him reverse that outcome.
Like Reply