Poll: Brunson:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Start
65.22%
30 65.22%
Bench
8.70%
4 8.70%
Trade
26.09%
12 26.09%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
BRUNSON BURNER: to NYK for 4yrs/$104M (no SnT) | NYK docked 2025 2nd for tampering
(11-17-2021, 02:07 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: he will at the very least be an allstar snub.

ALL STAR SNUB WAS NOT THE BET, MY GUY. 

[Image: 1589206235552.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 01:47 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I thought sitting Luka, with his bad +/- stat, would be a gain for the team. JB is the one with all the + games, so DAL offense should really take off. Right?

[Image: john-cusack-are-you-serious.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 02:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: ALL STAR SNUB WAS NOT THE BET, MY GUY. 

[Image: 1589206235552.gif]
The bet was not for this season my dude. I will be happy with allstar snub this season, I wasn’t trying to make that comment about the bet.
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 02:48 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I wasn’t trying to make that comment about the bet.

I KNOW THAT

Geez, some of you act like you've never manipulated people's words for a cheap laugh before!
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
We all need marriage counseling
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • embellisher
Like Reply
Big Grin 
(11-17-2021, 02:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I KNOW THAT

Geez, some of you act like you've never manipulated people's words for a cheap laugh before!

Alright, alright, don’t have to yell at me.  Tongue
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
How do I like my own post?
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
The last 3 games, Brunson is 5th in the entire NBA in Assist Points Created at 25 per game, which includes actual assists, secondary (hockey) assists, and FT's generated. Only CP3, Westbrook, LaMelo, and Draymond had more. 

Brunson also averaged 19 potential assists per game, 3rd most during this stretch.

For perspective, Luka averages 20.3 Assist Points Created per game, and 16.8 potential assists per game this season. Not bad for Brunson being a score first ballhog who is not a playmaker.
[-] The following 2 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • ClutchDirk, DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 05:01 PM)fifteenth Wrote: How do I like my own post?
Burner account?

(11-22-2021, 05:45 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: The last 3 games, Brunson is 5th in the entire NBA in Assist Points Created at 25 per game, which includes actual assists, secondary (hockey) assists, and FT's generated. Only CP3, Westbrook, LaMelo, and Draymond had more. 

Brunson also averaged 19 potential assists per game, 3rd most during this stretch.

For perspective, Luka averages 20.3 Assist Points Created per game, and 16.8 potential assists per game this season. Not bad for Brunson being a score first ballhog who is not a playmaker.
How did those numbers look in years past?
Like Reply
(11-22-2021, 05:45 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: The last 3 games, Brunson is 5th in the entire NBA in Assist Points Created at 25 per game, which includes actual assists, secondary (hockey) assists, and FT's generated. Only CP3, Westbrook, LaMelo, and Draymond had more. 

I actually looked in the wrong column, Assist Points Created is actually points created by a player or team through their assists. Still very, very good.

Assists Adjusted is what I meant to refer to. Brunson still lands in 5th at 11 assists adjusted per game. Luka averages 10 per game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fuerza1's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
I am a Brunson homer.  It is my opinion, he is really important here as we try to build a contender.   I believe his production and efficiency will stay pretty close to what it is even when we add more talent.   15 points, 5 assists, 3-4 rebounds, low turnover, high shot percentage and just a winner.   I think he is really important to keep him here. 

He is not the perfect player, but who is.   I feel you put him on the court...ideally with another really good creator and more times than not he will find a way.  I hope the Mavs view the same.   

Thread below

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...0142825473
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • ClutchDirk, fifteenth
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 10:25 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am a Brunson homer.  It is my opinion, he is really important here as we try to build a contender.   I believe his production and efficiency will stay pretty close to what it is even when we add more talent.   15 points, 5 assists, 3-4 rebounds, low turnover, high shot percentage and just a winner.   I think he is really important to keep him here. 

I am all for putting Brunson in the starting unit and see how it works. Two main questions I have - can he be this good offensively against top teams when it matters? Can Mavs build respectable defense with Luka and him? If I don't have a pretty much positive answer to those questions, I would be very reluctant to pay him.
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 10:43 AM)omahen Wrote: I am all for putting Brunson in the starting unit and see how it works. Two main questions I have - can he be this good offensively against top teams when it matters? Can Mavs build respectable defense with Luka and him? If I don't have a pretty much positive answer to those questions, I would be very reluctant to pay him.

"Starting" Brunson doesn't mean that he and Luka have to play all their time together. 

I was using the VanVleet comparison last year. "Is he on the VanVleet trajectory, or not?" This year he's showing that he IS on that kind of trajectory. I think you do your best on D when Luka/Brunson play together, and make sure the "Luka only" and "Brunson only" lineups are good on D. 

I'd sign him. I'd sign DFS too! 

We need more playmaking not less. We need more long wings that can play, not less. 

Nico and team finance staff (didn't Nico bring in, like, the best of the best?), figure it out.
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 10:43 AM)omahen Wrote: I am all for putting Brunson in the starting unit and see how it works. Two main questions I have - can he be this good offensively against top teams when it matters? Can Mavs build respectable defense with Luka and him? If I don't have a pretty much positive answer to those questions, I would be very reluctant to pay him.

I am not sure if I see Brunson as a starter or a heavy minute bench player.  I said before the season, the Mavs need to find 25 plus minutes a game for him.  I didn't think Carlisle had this in his vision imo.   If they couldn't find these minutes, he wasn't going to want to stay here regardless how much he liked the team and city.   So far,the Mavs have found those minutes for him, plus having him in the closing unit in the majority of games.  With him being a UFA, I would certainly try him as a starter and see how it works.   The guy he would be replacing would not be a world beater.  Maybe it works great.  Maybe it doesn't and he can go back to a heavy minute bench player after you re-sign him.
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 10:55 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am not sure if I see Brunson as a starter or a heavy minute bench player. 

I think this is semantics. More importantly, imo, is how many minutes do you play, and can you close? I'd probably start him, stagger him and Luka after one of Luka or Brunson leaves the floor in the mid first quarter, and then close with Brunson when it makes sense. Sometimes it'll make sense for him to close, and sometimes it won't. But you don't have to tell him that when you sign him!!!
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 10:54 AM)fifteenth Wrote: "Starting" Brunson doesn't mean that he and Luka have to play all their time together. 

I was using the VanVleet comparison last year. "Is he on the VanVleet trajectory, or not?" This year he's showing that he IS on that kind of trajectory. I think you do your best on D when Luka/Brunson play together, and make sure the "Luka only" and "Brunson only" lineups are good on D. 

I'd sign him. I'd sign DFS too! 

We need more playmaking not less. We need more long wings that can play, not less. 

Nico and team finance staff (didn't Nico bring in, like, the best of the best?), figure it out.

This team would look so much more complete as is if they solved the PF riddle.  It is a difficult riddle but one that would open up this team to new heights imo.

Then instead of another small backup guard if they could find a Pinson type on steroids.   A wing who is comfortable as the secondary playmaker.  In my ideal vision it is probably a team minus 1 or 2 of Hardaway, Kleber, Bullock, or DFS (depending on the quality of player in this spot)

(12-22-2021, 10:59 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I think this is semantics. More importantly, imo, is how many minutes do you play, and can you close? I'd probably start him, stagger him and Luka after one of Luka or Brunson leaves the floor in the mid first quarter, and then close with Brunson when it makes sense. Sometimes it'll make sense for him to close, and sometimes it won't. But you don't have to tell him that when you sign him!!!

I agree.   But I would like to give Jalen that olive branch as starting this year.  I think he has earned it as well.

My favorite Luka is one who pushes the pace and starts games getting others involved.   I think a Jalen starting has a good potential to accomplish this.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • ClutchDirk, fifteenth
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 11:01 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: This team would look so much more complete as is if they solved the PF riddle.  It is a difficult riddle but one that would open up this team to new heights imo.

Then instead of another small backup guard if they could find a Pinson type on steroids.   A wing who is comfortable as the secondary playmaker.  In my ideal vision it is probably a team minus 1 or 2 of Hardaway, Kleber, Bullock, or DFS (depending on the quality of player in this spot)

ONE BIG

We need a center who can play defense, defend  the pnr, shoot some, pnr with Luka and Brunson and who doesn't mind being called a center. 

That bigger 4 that we've talked about would be nice, but if the center position is right, then DFS is great at the 4, and Maxi gives you size there when needed. 

If our wings can shoot (I mean, they used to be able to), then it's not getting rid of wings that's needed. If THJ doesn't fit because his defense is subpar, and he doesn't fit the new regimes vision, then maybe he's the guy to go. But figuring that out isn't as important as getting the center right, imo.
Like Reply
I wouldn't mind giving Brunson a chance at starting next to Luka. I think it's clear that this should be attempted, at some point. 

But, I don't think it's necessary for him to be a starter to pay him his market value. 1-2 (fairly) high-dollar bench guys are fine, to me, as long as they're integral to the team's approach. Brunson has already taught us that he's a potential 6MOY type who can fill in when a starter is missing, close some games, play heavy minutes, etc. This is the worst case scenario for him, and it's really good. 

Hardaway Jr, on the other hand, is ONLY valuable as a starter in a system that prioritizes generating shots for him (he's not great at generating his own, though there seems to be an emphasis being placed on him learning to do that more this year). He's having a dismal time of it this year, and I just don't think the new systems are good for him. IMO, HIS contract is the one that should be moved, if/when it is determined that he's going to come off of the bench. He's just not a 6th man type.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 11:22 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: But, I don't think it's necessary for him to be a starter to pay him his market value. 1-2 (fairly) high-dollar bench guys are fine, to me, as long as they're integral to the team's approach. Brunson has already taught us that he's a potential 6MOY type who can fill in when a starter is missing, close some games, play heavy minutes, etc. This is the worst case scenario for him, and it's really good. 

All true, but what if he wants to be a starter? It was said several times this season already.

(12-22-2021, 11:22 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hardaway Jr, on the other hand, is ONLY valuable as a starter in a system that prioritizes generating shots for him (he's not great at generating his own, though there seems to be an emphasis being placed on him learning to do that more this year). He's having a dismal time of it this year, and I just don't think the new systems are good for him. IMO, HIS contract is the one that should be moved, if/when it is determined that he's going to come off of the bench. He's just not a 6th man type.

I can also see THJ being valuable as a 6th man (perhaps even more than starter), but one of course can't afford to have two 15-20 mil guys coming from bench. I think that Mavs don't only have a problem of lack of talent but also a problem that what they do have is not really fitting together. THJ-Luka-KP together equals bad defense, THJ-Luka-KP-Brunson even more so imho. Remove two of them for the likes of Bullock, DFS, Kleber and offense dies. Having two of them on the bench also doesn't make sense as their contracts are (will be) too high.

I think we all agree Mavs need to convert one or more of this borderline starter/role player missfit contracts to legit starter(s) that fit, probably with Luka and KP as the ones you are building around. It may happen that someone like Brunson will be a "collateral damage" as Mavs don't have many assets.
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 11:53 AM)omahen Wrote: All true, but what if he wants to be a starter? It was said several times this season already.

Yes, if that's the case then he's probably gone and they should trade him. Can't worry about it on our end because we don't know, but the Mavs probably do. At least I hope they do. 

(12-22-2021, 11:53 AM)omahen Wrote: I can also see THJ being valuable as a 6th man (perhaps even more than starter), but one of course can't afford to have two 15-20 mil guys coming from bench.

I just don't see it. He's not a "microwave" style shot creator. Brunson is, and I'd be happy to pay a premium for HIM to come off the bench (if it's determined he can't start with Luka, which I don't know that we have determined), but if THJ doesn't fit here as a starter then he should be moved ASAP, while he's still got suitors who wanted to pay him this past summer.
Like Reply