Poll: Brunson:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Start
65.22%
30 65.22%
Bench
8.70%
4 8.70%
Trade
26.09%
12 26.09%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
BRUNSON BURNER: to NYK for 4yrs/$104M (no SnT) | NYK docked 2025 2nd for tampering
(05-21-2022, 09:46 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Not positive JB is a perfect fit next to Luka, but he is for sure really good! If Luka is gonna disappear every once in a while on defense, JB’s position could use a better defender there. Also, the two of them need to still figure out how to involve eachother (and the team tbh) a bit more as a duo as opposed to the “my turn, your turn” thing they got going on.

Have you seen the rest of the team dribble the basketball??  Dinwiddie can attack but has been incredibly inconsistent.  The rest of the rotation cannot even attack a close out.  Most of the time they won’t even floor the ball and when they do it’s a circus.  The only way to involve the others is catch and shoot threes…which requires Luka and JB to do most all of the work. 

Compare that to the Warriors who typically have at least 4 guys on the court that can competently attack a close out.  That allows you to move the ball and bodies because when the defense shows a crack you have guys that can attack it. 

Stationary 3 point shooters can’t be more involved in the offense than they already are.
Like Reply
(05-21-2022, 10:09 AM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Have you seen the rest of the team dribble the basketball??  Dinwiddie can attack but has been incredibly inconsistent.  The rest of the rotation cannot even attack a close out.  Most of the time they won’t even floor the ball and when they do it’s a circus.  The only way to involve the others is catch and shoot threes…which requires Luka and JB to do most all of the work. 

Compare that to the Warriors who typically have at least 4 guys on the court that can competently attack a close out.  That allows you to move the ball and bodies because when the defense shows a crack you have guys that can attack it. 

Stationary 3 point shooters can’t be more involved in the offense than they already are.
They can do more than stand around and wait for the pass, very much like GSW do. More motion shows more cracks, which Luka can exploit in a number of ways. It’s for sure more than RC and Kidd have asked them to do, but standing on the 3 point line so Luka and JB has a place to drive is not working. Also, it gives the defense plenty of rest so they have energy to do what they do on offense.
Like Reply
(05-21-2022, 09:46 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Not positive JB is a perfect fit next to Luka, but he is for sure really good! If Luka is gonna disappear every once in a while on defense, JB’s position could use a better defender there. Also, the two of them need to still figure out how to involve eachother (and the team tbh) a bit more as a duo as opposed to the “my turn, your turn” thing they got going on.

Nico's job is to throw the bag at JB this summer and work out whether to keep or trade him down the line (he'll be our most tradable 8-digit contract player even with bag in hand).

Kidd's job is to continue to work on that Luka-JB mesh.

Nico's other jobs of course are to get a big man or two, grab a third GK/Reggie wing, and see if we can get another driver.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(05-21-2022, 10:23 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Nico's job is to throw the bag at JB this summer and work out whether to keep or trade him down the line (he'll be our most tradable 8-digit contract player even with bag in hand).

Kidd's job is to continue to work on that Luka-JB mesh.

Nico's other jobs of course are to get a big man or two, grab a third GK/Reggie wing, and see if we can get another driver.
With you on all of this, but it all depends on how much it costs to get that 1 or 2 C’s and what the team looks like after that as to what is needed next.

We could very well see a pretty big shake-up this offseason.
Like Reply
This isn’t a championship team until Luka becomes a plus defender. He can and, in my estimation, will become that. Like Dirk, his defensive rebounding is already a major factor. But his improvement on that end of the court is the most important difference between this squad and a championship one. Lots of untapped potential right there. And no necessity to deplete assets to get it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(05-21-2022, 02:04 PM)Jommybone Wrote: This isn’t a championship team until Luka becomes a plus defender. He can and, in my estimation, will become that. Like Dirk, his defensive rebounding is already a major factor. But his improvement on that end of the court is the most important difference between this squad and a championship one. Lots of untapped potential right there. And no necessity to deplete assets to get it.

I think with Luka right now he just doesn’t have the stamina to do all the things he does on the offensive side and play focused, hard defense all game long.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dirknows's post:
  • Jommybone, Kammrath
Like Reply
I think Jalen is really good.   I just not sure if I want him as my second leading scorer.   If that player was a PF type, that would be ideal imo.  I think Jalen is best served as a 16-17 point a game scorer who doesn't make mistakes, shoots a high percentage, and is a tough minded winner.
Like Reply
(05-21-2022, 02:13 PM)Dirknows Wrote: I think with Luka right now he just doesn’t have the stamina to do all the things he does on the offensive side and play focused, hard defense all game long.

Who would? A young Bron is the only one I can think of.  Which other current player has to carry such a heavy load on offense including rebounding, and expect to play hard on defense as well?
Like Reply
Has JB's play impacted his contract projections yet? Is he still on track for a $20MM+/yr payout?
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 09:53 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Has JB's play impacted his contract projections yet? Is he still on track for a $20MM+/yr payout?

Well he’s the 6th leading scorer in the playoffs this year. Behind Luka, Giannis, Steph, Tatum and Butler.
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 09:53 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Has JB's play impacted his contract projections yet? Is he still on track for a $20MM+/yr payout?

No hometown discount; he's most likely closer to $25M AAV, perhaps even more; he's one of the top free agents this summer. THJ got $18.75M AAV for crying out loud. Brunson is averaging more PPG this postseason than Nash/JET ever did in a Mavs playoff run.

Elite PnR, isolation, driver/finisher, midrange game, and above average 3PT shooter with secondary playmaking chops, who is in the midst of a big, breakthrough playoff performance at age 25. Brunson is getting PAID.

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/statu...7663840257

https://twitter.com/NBA_University/statu...5946985473
Like Reply
His defense the entire playoffs has been good. He held his own against Curry and Draymond yesterday when he got matched up. Draymond was scared to take him 1 on 1 close to the rim and just backed out for a pass. There aren't any Kawhi's attacking him this playoff run which got him benched last year, but maybe he can hold his own even there now.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...0929160194
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/statu...9517149207
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/statu...2545621023
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheKobeBeef/status/1...1447433221
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bdameris/status/1530039052673507328
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
Luka and Brunson clearly the two to build a dynasty around. Once we get the other players and a third star, and even something reminding of the depth of the Warriors, but doesnt necessary have to be that good, we will win against them. 

Dallas will own the league in the next 10-15 years.
Like Reply
(05-26-2022, 10:53 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/statu...2545621023

It isn’t just the BYC part of this (outgoing at 50% for matching purposes) that makes any Brunson trade difficult.  You have to add in the loss of the $5mm trade match opportunity an an over the apron team as FG has taught us.  With $5mm of margin, the BYC can be overcome.  But, it is a different story when all we can do is add 125% plus $100k.

Just need to sign him.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, MFFL
Like Reply
(05-27-2022, 06:34 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It isn’t just the BYC part of this (outgoing at 50% for matching purposes) that makes any Brunson trade difficult.  You have to add in the loss of the $5mm trade match opportunity an an over the apron team as FG has taught us.  With $5mm of margin, the BYC can be overcome.  But, it is a different story when all we can do is add 125% plus $100k.

Just need to sign him.

It’s the usual Cuban strategy, no? Tell JB to go get his best offer and we’ll match or beat it. I’m guessing 25 x 5.
Like Reply