Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVERICKS 110, HEAT 125
HEAT SCORCH MAVS IN SEASON’S FIRST HOME LOSS 

The Mavericks hosted longtime rival Miami Heat to open their November schedule. Before the game, Marc Stein admitted that he feared that the Mavs would have an uphill battle, with both KP and Maxi being out, and he turned out to be prescient. Our boys gave it the old college try in what Kidd referred to as a “test,” but couldn’t quite compete against the Heat’s superior talent.

GAME NOTES

Porzingis was sidelined for the fourth consecutive game with back tightness. Maxi (left oblique strain) and Trey Burke (protocols) were also on the injury report. Oladipo was out for Miami. Derek Harper was back in the broadcasting booth. Kidd selected a starting lineup of LD-JB-THJ-DFS-DP, with Brunson in the KP-Maxi-Reggie spot, and DFS moving to power forward. 

FIRST QUARTER

Aargh. Heat force a shot clock violation. Hardaway fires one in from three, then makes a defensive play against Bam. Powell with a bounce pass to a cutting DFS for two. Luka loses the ball, dives to the floor to dig it out, and the play ends with a DFS corner three. Luka calls for the ball, hits a long three — I like it. WCS replaces Dwight. Luka gets to the rim. Spo begs for time. 17-7 6:53. Mavs on a 13-3 run. Looking good!

Willie declines a shot under the basket, passes to the corner. I don’t know about that. Reggie in, Frankie enters. Reggie from the corner! Mavs getting good looks off double-teams of Luka. 20-13 3:20.

Frankie hits from the perimeter. S Brown comes in. Luka is leading a bench unit. Butler fouls Luka, his second of the quarter. Boban is on the floor. Brunson replaces Luka to close the period with an all-bench lineup. Lowry on the sideline having a laugh with Kidd and an official. The lead narrowed, but JB bringing them back. 30-24 after one

The starters have 25 of those thirty points, Miami shooting horribly — 33%, 20% from three. Mavs looking sharp at 45% from long range and 50% overall. 

SECOND QUARTER

Josh Green makes an appearance. Lowry hits from long distance. Sterling makes his first two-pointer of the season! Hardaway again. Tyler Herro puts the Heat in front with a trey. 36-37 9:42.

Heat bench really outpacing the Maverick reserves. Mavs trap Bam under the basket, force three-second call. Brunson with another corner three. Whee! Luka puts Dallas ahead again late in the clock. Bam returns the favor with an and-one. THJ baseline jumper keeps the lead on a seesaw. Lowry teed up. Reggie takes and makes the free throw. Luka takes two freebies, while Kyle is still jawing. Luka over PJ Tucker for a very good three. Luka with a beautiful drive and score. 51-57 4:03. Tyler Herro looking very impressive. 

Powell draws free throws off a jump hook. Butler earns a free throw and possession for an away-from-the-play foul by the Mavs. Powell scores over Bam at the basket. Bam leaves with three fouls.  62-70 at halftime. Miami has the highest-scoring quarter in the NBA this season, with 46 points. They wrapped up the half with an 11-2 run. 

Miami is a VERY talented team with plenty of depth. Their three-point shooting has rocketed up to a stunning 64% (9-14). Herro leads the Heat with 17 points off the bench. Yikes. Dallas is losing the bench scoring battle 8-32. Dallas scored 62 altogether, but no Mav is in positive figures. The two teams have combined for 32 FTAs already. 

THIRD QUARTER

Timmy has to foul Butler to stop a fast break. That’s three on Tim. Then he hits from the corner. But, Mavs just cannot stop these guys. They’re getting easy looks in the paint. Scoring, defending, rebounding. Dang. Mavs have had some good plays, but are having a hard time holding off the onslaught.  72-83 6:59

Bam posterizes Powell. Now Butler over Bullock. Duncan Robinson called for his fourth. Herro comes back. Great. It’s Luka, DFS, and some bench guys now. Heat score over Willie. Tucker draws a charge against Dorian. Mavs try a zone. Doesn’t help. Luka already looking exhausted. 81-93 2:56.

Mavs come out of the timeout with an all-bench unit, except for JB. Markieff Morris called for a foul on Sterling. Spo sneers from the sideline. Brunson has a buzzer-beating three. 88-99 after three. Man, this Heat team is just relentless. 

FOURTH QUARTER

Bullock opens with a three. Morris posts up over against one of our smalls, hits. FN answers with a three. Jalen Brunson with a magnificent spin move. He falls down, grimaces, but makes the shot. Lowry with a fadeaway off a broken play. Bullock called for a push on Butler. Kidd challenges.  95-103 7:55.

Challenge is unsuccessful. Crowd boos. Starters back in, with Reggie in place of Brunson. Powell misses both free throws off a shooting foul. Duncan Robinson fouls out, possibly taking Luka’s hand out in the process. Mavs haven’t scored in over four minutes. Luka finally breaks the drought with a drive to the rim. 97-110 4:51.

Mavs force a shot-clock violation. Luka still grabbing his hand and grimacing. Lowry looking like Steph out there. 100-116 3:13.

Starting unit back in. Brunson baseline drive. Luka with a long three. But the Heat pour it on. Down 107-123 with 1:44 left, Kidd puts the deep bench on the floor. Udonis makes an appearance, at age 41! 125-110 FT

ANALYSIS

The Mavs had a 126-108 advantage in shot attempts, but could not make it count. They continued to struggle from the three-point line, at 33%, while the Heat were 52% from beyond the arc. Dallas also missed 9 free throws (grrr), and had point differentials of -14 on points from twos, +3 in points from three, and -4 on made free throws. 

The Heat had substantial advantages in points in the paint (48-38), and fast-break points (19-3), prompting Kidd’s criticism of his team’s transition defense. Miami’s aggressive defense also cost us 14 points off turnovers, whereas the Heat limited the damage from their own giveaways to 4 points. The bench battle bordered on embarrassing, at 21-46. 

Just a general beatdown, really, once the Heat overcame their slow start. 

PLAYER NOTES

DONCIC.  Luka became the 14th all-time leading Mavericks scorer, passing Jason Kidd, with a season-high 33 points, going 10-12 from the line in a team-high 36 minutes. He tried to be aggressive, but was double-teamed all night. He still put up some good numbers, but the Heat was able to take away some of his effectiveness. Luka said he is trying to be more aggressive in every game. Kidd says they just expect teams to do this to Luka, and that the team needs to handle it better. 

HARDAWAY put 17 points on the board in 31 minutes, but was 4-13 from three. He had a couple of good defensive plays, but was mostly overmatched on that end. Hopefully, he'll get back in his shooting groove soon. 

BRUNSON. Jalen was excellent in his first start of the season, with 25 points and 7 boards on incredible 10-13 shooting in 31 minutes. He was impressive in attack, with good finishing over the trees. Kidd thought Brunson had an excellent game, and that he was able to take some of the pressure off Luka. Luka complimented Luka Jalen for his creating and scoring. 

DFS. Dorian had 8 points and 5 rebounds in 31 minutes. As usual, he was one of the primary defenders, but could only do so much. Having a little trouble scoring so far this season, he confined himself to 6 shot attempts, completing 3. 

POWELL. Dwight was somewhat hampered by foul trouble (accumulating 5), and took only 3 shots, but had a team-high 8 rebounds in 25 minutes. None of our big men were any match for the Heat in the paint. 

BENCH. Bullock served as the sixth man this evening, and was the only reserve in double figures, with 10 points on 3-7 shooting in 25 minutes. Reggie was the most hyped off-season addition, but may need a little more time to acclimate enough to be a consistent difference-maker. Willie backed up Powell, playing 19 minutes, but didn’t score and had 3 rebounds, one assist, and a turnover. He was woefully ineffective on the night. Frankie and Sterling took advantage of the injury absences to claim 19 and 13 minutes respectively, but neither especially impressed. They combined for 8 points and 6 rebounds. 

The other five active players received a few minutes each, and were unremarkable. 

Burke did not show up for his COVID test for the second time this season, and was therefore ineligible. Kidd revealed that Burke has forfeited those two game checks. The coach says they have addressed the issue with Burke, asserting that he has a responsibility to show up on time. What’s up with all this? Is this excusable behavior?

HEAT. Miami had five guys who scored over 20 points. Super-sixth man Tyler Herro led the team with 20 shots and 25 points off the bench. Jimmy Butler followed with 23 points, earning 17 FTAs and completing 15. Bam strutted his stuff, putting up 22 points and 13 boards. Kyle Lowry had 22 points and 9 assists in the starting point guard role. Dewayne Dedmon had 10 off the bench. Dang. So many go-to guys.

OBSERVATIONS

KIDD. Said the team didn't do a good enough job taking advantage of the Luka double teams. We also did a poor job at rebounding, partly as a result of going small. The team generated some good looks that just didn’t go down, per usual. Kidd noticed Luka starting to wear down, and instructed Doncic to let Brunson start bringing the ball up the floor to save Luka's energy. The coach ventured that our transition D was subpar, and that was how the game got away from them. Kidd thinks the Heat are the best team in the league at this point. 

From my seat, it appeared that the Mavs were just flat outmatched. Keep an eye on this Miami team — they’re seriously good. The contest wasn’t a bad measure of where Dallas is at this point. And they are still just out-talented against the contenders. Our boys just couldn’t buy enough stops against Miami's skilled and powerful defenders, and were no match for the Heat’s scoring arsenal. The Mavs tried to sign Lowry in the offseason, but dropped the quest pretty early when he made it clear he wanted to play in Miami. Sigh. 

NEXT.  Kidd is hopeful that KP can play in the next game. Maxi is expected to be out for 7-10 days. The Mavs have a SEGABABA tomorrow, when they will face the Spurs again  in the AT&T Center. Shouldn't be quite such a tough match. 
[-] The following 4 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • fifteenth, hakeemfaan, Mavsfan12, ReunionMav
Like Reply
While we debate RC vs Kidd, this as you said is the bottom line:

From my seat, it appeared that the Mavs were just flat outmatched. Keep an eye on this Miami team — they’re seriously good. The contest wasn’t a bad measure of where Dallas is at this point. And they are still just out-talented against the contenders

I am not even counting on KP anymore to make a difference because he misses many more games than he plays nowadays.
[-] The following 2 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-02-2021, 10:13 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: The team generated some good looks that just didn’t go down, per usual.

This continues to be one of the stories of the season:

37.4% on open twos...27.3% on open threes. The threes are down 9% on the same number of attempts as last year. CRAZY stat.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-02-2021, 10:27 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This continues to be one of the stories of the season:

37.4% on open twos...27.3% on open threes. The threes are down 9% on the same number of attempts as last year. CRAZY stat.

Acquire shooters that are trash defenders if thats all you can get in the now.   Seek and grab 3andD players when they become available and are gettable.

Or just draft some...damn.
Like Reply
But even if all of the threes were going in, we're still a 1-2 guys doing all the work while the rest stand around waiting for something to happen.  This is all just a pointless retread until we get some more playmakers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moviemavguy's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-02-2021, 10:22 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: While we debate RC vs Kidd, this as you said is the bottom line:

From my seat, it appeared that the Mavs were just flat outmatched. Keep an eye on this Miami team — they’re seriously good. The contest wasn’t a bad measure of where Dallas is at this point. And they are still just out-talented against the contenders

I am not even counting on KP anymore to make a difference because he misses many more games than he plays nowadays.

I think we have to face the fact that there is more than ample evidence that KP's body just does not hold up to NBA competition. No matter how many times they tell us that KP's injuries are all flukey one-offs, and that he is the picture of health. 

I imagine he will play when he can, but I don't know how they can count on him to be mostly available.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 12:19 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I think we have to face the fact that there is more than ample evidence that KP's body just does not hold up to NBA competition. No matter how many times they tell us that KP's injuries are all flukey one-offs, and that he is the picture of health. 

I imagine he will play when he can, but I don't know how they can count on him to be mostly available.

I feel bad for KP.  His body betrays him and no matter how much he works in the offseason to build his body back, it just fails him again.
Like Reply
I see the issue different than you guys.

We have to many guys that are not offensively versatile. We have a ton of 3 and D guys but very few guys other than Luka that can play in ISO or with their back to the basket or even set other guys up to score. 

We have roughly only 2 true multi dimensional offensive guys on this team. 

One of the reasons I want Ben Simmons is because he cannot shoot which is fine we have shooters but we have very few guys that can play make and get into the paint other than Luka. 

The Mavericks are going to be a lottery team if they do not fix it. This double team Luka stuff is going to continue.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 01:14 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I see the issue different than you guys.

We have to many guys that are not offensively versatile. We have a ton of 3 and D guys but very few guys other than Luka that can play in ISO or with their back to the basket or even set other guys up to score. 

One of the reasons I want Ben Simmons is because he cannot shoot which is fine we have shooters but we have very few guys that can play make and get into the paint other than Luka. 

The Mavericks are going to be a lottery team if they do not fix it. This double team Luka stuff is going to continue.
I don’t see a ton of 3nD guys, but the rest of the post works. If they don’t fix this through trade, I want them to be a lottery team since we have a pick. That accomplishes 2 things, shows how bad the roster talent is and gives them a decent catalyst to fixing it!
Like Reply
I loved how Miami moved the ball tonight and their action with pick and roles.  I always love teams that push the ball up the court.  This is probably my biggest gripe with Luka.   I want him to push the ball more.  When he does it, I think it looks great.  He just doesn't like playing this way.  By the way, this was the favorite part of prime Kidd on how he pushed the ball and passed the ball up the court.   Miami just plays a really fun and entertaining brand of basketball.    I give more credit to Miami last night than blame to Dallas.  Dallas was short handed.   If Miami shoots like that they weren't losing especially considering they also get easy baskets and are pretty good on defense.

Dallas really needs another player besides Luka and Jalen who can cause defense problems.   I am open to all options...even longshots.   Releasing WCS for Demarcus Cousins.   Even a small move that may not improve the team like that is something I would consider.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 07:25 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I loved how Miami moved the ball tonight and their action with pick and roles.  I always love teams that push the ball up the court.  This is probably my biggest gripe with Luka.   I want him to push the ball more.  When he does it, I think it looks great.  He just doesn't like playing this way.  Miami just plays a really fun and entertaining brand of basketball.    I give more credit to Miami last night than blame to Dallas.  Dallas was short handed.   If Miami shoots like that they weren't losing especially considering they also get easy baskets and are pretty good on defense.

Dallas really needs another player besides Luka and Jalen who can cause defense problems.   I am open to all options...even longshots.   Releasing WCS for Demarcus Cousins.   Even a small move that may not improve the team like that is something I would consider.
KP for Tobias
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 01:14 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I see the issue different than you guys.

The visceral takeaway for me from this game was just the reality check of watching a really good team calling attention to the fact that our roster just isn't good enough to compete with the best. I realize we already suspected that, but this match just left no doubt. 

Looking at all of Miami's versatile, high-quality weapons on both ends of the court, it just brought home that there is only so far that coaching schemes and player improvements on the margin can take the Mavs. If they truly want to compete for a championship, they are in desperate need of better players. Plural. They're not one piece away. As I saw it, anyway. 

I think the evidence tends to support the theory that Cuban either (1) is pretty okay with having a good, fun, reasonably priced team that fans come to watch but isn't really built to be a contender, or possibly more likely, (2) would prefer to build a championship team, but does not know how to do that and doesn't even know that he doesn't know.

I don't think this roster is in serious danger of becoming a lottery team, in the absence of some kind of horrible injury luck. But I think they are almost as far from being a contender as they are from being a lottery team. Hopefully, either I will be proved wrong, or the front office will somehow stumble into some lucky breaks improving the roster. They're due!
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 12:52 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: front office will somehow stumble into some lucky breaks improving the roster. They're due!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
I think FN may be one of those small "lucky" improvements.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hypermav's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Kammrath
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 01:22 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I think FN may be one of those small "lucky" improvements.

Hopefully it was just "luck" that he came so cheap and not "luck" in the evaluation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
I saw 8 on 5 in the 45 mins I was able to watch. Refs begrudgingly giving FTs to Mavs every other time they got hammered, and bailing Heat players out over and over. 

Nobody likes a whiner, I know. But that’s what I saw. Is Bam way better than Dwight? I’m sure he is. But last night was no proof of that. Just more of a mountain of evidence that the NBA doesn’t instruct officials to call em like they see em.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 12:24 AM)cow Wrote: I feel bad for KP.  His body betrays him and no matter how much he works in the offseason to build his body back, it just fails him again.

Agree. In a big-picture sense, his body's inability to do what he wants it to is much more unfortunate for him as an athlete than for us as Maverick fans. 

By all accounts, he really does badly want to play, but can't stay medically cleared for very long. Everyone's body has limits, even elite athletes, and it must be difficult physically and emotionally to come to terms with his.
[-] The following 2 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, fifteenth
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 01:35 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Agree. In a big-picture sense, his body's inability to do what he wants it to is much more unfortunate for him as an athlete than for us as Maverick fans. 

By all accounts, he really does badly want to play, but can't stay medically cleared for very long. Everyone's body has limits, even elite athletes, and it must be difficult physically and emotionally to come to terms with his.

Yeah, it's easy to dog on KP but I'd never question is work ethic or will.

It's also why I'd have a hard time paying big money to anyone over 7 foot if I were a GM.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 01:45 PM)cow Wrote: I'd have a hard time paying big money to anyone over 7 foot if I were a GM.
That's an interesting perspective that seems to be getting more traction as time goes by and more research becomes available. 

Gigantism is actually considered a medical disorder, albeit one with advantages in the case of basketball players. But it comes with increased risks, including a higher incidence of lower-body problems, as the human body isn't generally designed to meet the physical stresses of that much height and weight. 

Research in basketball has indicated that ultra-tall players (over 7 feet) collectively tend to be sidelined for more games than shorter players (an average of around 25% of games, iirc), and that their bodies tend to deteriorate pretty rapidly after five-six seasons. Of course, any individual person could be different, but I imagine that is part of what we are seeing in KP.

Agree that basketball GMs would probably be wise to take that into consideration in assessing the probable longevity and availability of super-tall guys. Yao Ming comes to mind.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 01:35 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Agree. In a big-picture sense, his body's inability to do what he wants it to is much more unfortunate for him as an athlete than for us as Maverick fans. 

I disagree, and I have roughly 158,253,00 guaranteed reasons it's more unfortunate for us than it is for him. His problems are mostly behind him, at this point. Ours aren't even halfway to being solved.
Like Reply