Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How is Rick going to manage minutes?
https://www.mavs.com/dwight-powell-is-th...ercentile/

Super detailed read about Powell's impact on Defense and Offense and Development.

Good read.

He is an excellent compliment to Porzingis on Offense and Defense. At least in theory.

(11-01-2019, 05:51 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I think Powell is a solid team defender. 

There are certain things he does really well but he's also limited by lack of size and probably instinct. 

I doubt you'll find many players who are more prepared & I'm sure he executes the game plan. But he's not gifted defensively. He's a role player. A hard worker. An energy guy. There's nothing wrong with that. A team needs that.

I honestly think people often get hung up on too much individual this-or-that when discussing role players. 

So when you say "y'all actually thing Dwight is a good defender" I say ... well yeah, I guess, sure he is. 

Is he going to shut down Anthony Davis one on one? Of course not. But who will? Defense (and basketball) is a team thing.

Will teams game plan to put Powell in pick & roll to exploit his weaknesses? Well, sure they will. But that doesn't mean the entire defense will break down. Pick & roll coverage involves tactics and multiple players. What Powell gives away in length maybe he makes up for with good positioning. And like embellisher says, KP & Kleber are the rim protectors on this team.

According to the article I linked Powell is actually a  and rodecent pick and roll defender.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How is Rick going to manage minutes? - by Mak - 11-01-2019, 08:39 AM
RE: How is Rick going to manage minutes? - by SportPsychMav - 11-01-2019, 05:55 PM