Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAACP sends letter to players to not sign with Texas teams. Mavs included
(10-30-2021, 04:40 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Sigh. I don't like to do the political thing here but ... 

For the record I'm independent, I have conservative values, Christian values but I also have some views that fall under the modern progressive label.  I have serious issues with both of the parties. 

That said, the spin here that might be getting missed is that issue with ID's is not about ID's really.  The United States are very, very close to becoming a one party country.   The relaxation of voter id standards combined with the massive influx of what used to be called illegal immigration will all but eliminate one of the two parties, that is the republican party.  

Once the State of Texas is blue, given the electoral college system and demographics, the country will be effectively under one party rule with little chance of turning back.  That's what the desperate battle is over, almost a last stand for traditional America as it was known. 

From what I can tell, a lot of the younger generation now would see no problem with one party rule, as long as its the party they like. Its not quite here yet, but if the voter id laws go the way of blue as the relaxed immigration policy has gone those that want one party to dominate them, will get their wish.

"Traditional America"????

What you've just written is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

[Image: James-Downey-in-Billy-Madison.jpeg?q=50&...70&dpr=1.5]
[-] The following 1 user Likes RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 06:45 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: "Traditional America"????

What you've just written is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

[Image: James-Downey-in-Billy-Madison.jpeg?q=50&...70&dpr=1.5]

I see, so I guess there is no such thing as tradition in America, therefore no such thing as "Traditional America"?  My bad.  I thought there were historical traditions in America, thank you for pointing out the complete absence of such a thing.  

As I break down the details of your response such incredibly insightful points you took your time to share.  
Hats off to your political insights.  Mr. @"RasheedsBigWhiteSpot"  we are all much smarter from your thoughtful contribution! 

[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Dahlsim's post:
  • BasketballJones41, embellisher
Like Reply
America is better when the government is gridlocked.
[-] The following 3 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • Dahlsim, embellisher, mvossman
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 04:40 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: almost a last stand for traditional America as it was known. 
I have to ask....

What is traditional America?
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • Dahlsim
Like Reply
(11-01-2021, 01:52 PM)michaeltex Wrote: What is traditional America?

White land-owners building incredible wealth for themselves at the expense of the land, animals, natives, people of color, women, and the poor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
We need some James Earl Jones right about now, but talking about Basketball instead of Baseball from Field of Dreams.
Like Reply
(11-01-2021, 01:52 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I have to ask....

What is traditional America?

Clearly that could open a can of worms couldn't it?  Wink  Political implication here right? That's where water gets muddy. 

I said it though, and apparently its a term that actually offensive now to some people?  
So let me try to keep it simple by defining what I mean, which admittedly is a challenge because I thought of it as kind of intuitive. 

Can we first agree that there is such a thing as traditions and that Americans have had their own over the course of it's existence as a nation? 

What are traditions?   
Tradition 
Quote:1) The passing down of elements of a culture from generation to generation, especially by oral communication. 

2) A mode of thought or behavior followed by a people continuously from generation to generation; a custom or usage. 

3) A set of such customs and usages viewed as a coherent body of precedents influencing the present: synonym: heritage.

So if we can agree on that, then we could list some areas of American traditions that have changed, even significantly changed, in recent times, let's say over the last couple of decades?   There's a been a lot of long standing traditions that have been changed, isn't that pretty obvious? 

Please notice I didn't say what they are, not yet, and I didn't say if the change is good or bad.  As soon as we do that, well you know what happens ... 

So if that is the case and we can agree on that then I can say that a group I dubbed traditional America would represent those holding more of the long standing traditions, values and views held before the more recent changes vs. those subscribing more to the newer changed values and behaviors, establishing new traditions if you will.  

I suppose that's where we get the ideas of conservatives and progressives but that makes it more purely political than I intend and it oversimplifies what is really happening.  Keep in mind views can be mixed, so we know people may not hold all the old views or subscribe to all the new views so there's that caveat. 

Still if we listed some of the major traditions of America that have changed, I think it would be pretty clear to most people which way they lean despite the mixture.
Like Reply
As someone who moved to Colorado years ago and has voted in both states, the entire conversation is hilarious to me because all we do here is vote by mail and the entire process is safe and secure.  We've never had any issues with fraud, this country has allowed voting by mail since the Civil War so it's weird that we're all of the sudden very alarmed by it.  

The state knows where I'm registered to live, they send me a ballot, I have time to actually sit and research the propositions in front of me, I sign it, drop it off and they send texts non stop to ensure that it's me and allow me to claim fraud if need be.  It's not rocket science, we should encourage people to vote instead of putting obstacles (no matter how tiny) in the way.

And for the record, I think mouth pieces like Rachel Maddow are just as awful as folks like Tucker Carlson (who also uses the phrase "Traditional America" a lot...), I've just always thought the conversation around voting should be how can we get more votes, because such a small population of the country actually votes because there's way more people than you think who view it as a giant hassle.  It's crazy that we're so party driven that states don't even pretend to be inclusive if it means a fair fight.
Like Reply
Application for a Ballot by Mail

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:
  • be 65 years or older;

• be sick or disabled;

• be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or

• be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.
Like Reply
(11-01-2021, 05:49 PM)speedkilz88 Wrote: Application for a Ballot by Mail

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:
  • be 65 years or older;

• be sick or disabled;

• be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or

• be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

What I see in this is, restrictions. Why the restrictions? They're obstacles to voting. Restrictions for the sake of restrictions. ANYBODY should be able to vote by mail if they so desire. If ANYONE can vote by mail EVERYONE can vote by mail and have the ballots all be handled the same way. It's as if a person wants to vote by mail, it's because of some nefarious motive. If you're arrested and tried, you're presumed to be innocent until proven guilty. If you want to vote by mail, you're presumed to have ulterior motives other than, just want to vote by mail.
Like Reply
*stay out of this* *stay out of this*  Oh Sh*t.  I'm definitely way over the age to vote by mail, but I still have a dog in this hunt.  There should be NO restrictions for any American citizen to vote.  Notice; I say American citizen.

I was lucky growing up.  My family had very little prejudice against any race.  So I had a good start in the race thing.  In fact, I really didn't know about racial prejudice...for the most part.  I grew up in an area where "most" of the prejudice was against Mexicans.  I'm too old to know if that word is bad to say, but that's where it is.  I quickly learned that Mexican (American citizens) people are just like us (white people).  I also grew up in a time that the "n" word was bad, still is, Negro was the right word, but later I guess "black people" was the preferred modifying  pronoun (is that right?).  I was flat shocked the first time I was in a bus station in Mobile, Alabama and saw the different eating areas for blacks and whites.  The signs had been painted over, but you could easily still see them.  Anyway...I can't keep up with what everybody wants to be called...and I don't want to.  To me...white, black, brown, red, yellow (for the life of me I can't understand that one), or purple...we should refer to ourselves as Americans.  And until each and every one of us can look in a mirror and say, "....I see an American!"...we will continue to have problems in this country.

Now back to American citizens.  I don't see any problem with the need to prove we are American citizens.  I just can't understand what the problem is.  There are multitudes of people who will help anyone acquire the necessary documents to prove we are Americans...and I'm only talking about US Americans.  The other Americas have their own problems.

One BIG problem I see now with the newer immigrants--legal and illegal (I still call them illegal aliens)--are that when they come to America they are not coming to be "American" citizens. They are bringing "their" country with them.  That's a big can of worms.  

Well...I guess I've said enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • embellisher
Like Reply
(11-02-2021, 10:03 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: One BIG problem I see now with the newer immigrants--legal and illegal (I still call them illegal aliens)--are that when they come to America they are not coming to be "American" citizens. They are bringing "their" country with them.  That's a big can of worms.  

I am not going to comment on illegal immigration, I believe each country has the right to protect itself and its boarder.

But regarding the "legal immigrants" I wonder why it is a problem if they bring their country with them? 

I mean USA enforce its culture on the world more than any other country else, whether it is through business, media, social media, movies etc. I find very few Americans deciding to not "bring their country" when they live out of the states.  Sometimes they go as far as challenging the culture and laws just because they feel protected by their passport. 

If they obey the law, pay their taxes and do their job well, I don't see why they can't be who they are, even if it isn't American.
Like Reply
(11-02-2021, 10:03 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: One BIG problem I see now with the newer immigrants--legal and illegal (I still call them illegal aliens)--are that when they come to America they are not coming to be "American" citizens. They are bringing "their" country with them.  That's a big can of worms.  

Look, I grew up in the deep south at a time where the small town where we lived had front entrances for white and rear entrances for "colored". It took going off to college and moving to different parts of the US to un-learn some of the notions I soaked up as a kid. Other cultures were a strange unknown to me. First time I went to NYC I was scared spit-less.

Every group of immigrants brings their own culture with them, even going back to Pilgrims in (what is now) Massachusetts. I'm sure the Wampanoag had similar comments.

It takes a couple of generations to assimilate into whatever commonality is socially agreeable. My ex is from pure Italian heritage only here for 3 generations, but her parents only spoke a little Italian and she not at all. Most of my genealogy goes back to late 1600s to early 1700s for immigrants, but nobody would say that neither she nor I were any more American than the other.

I don't have any real issue with proving your identity when voting or registering to vote using an ID that signifies one as a US citizen. I don't support restrictions like the idea of having one site for absentee drop off for a county the size of Harris or Dallas. Or the limitations on early voting days and times. Or the new limitations on voting by mail. Never mind the gerrymandered congressional districts.

If a controlling group has to revert to such tactics, then this is admitting it is abdicating a leadership philosophy in favor of a survival philosophy. Depending on your state, you can find examples of both parties showing this behavior, but I happen to live in Texas by choice and only hope for sanity in Austin at some point. 
Like Reply
Khalid1987 & Michaeltex:  You guys (and many others) make great points.  I suspect we agree far more than we disagree.  The good thing is that we can have a discussion without resorting to drivel and angry put downs.  I suspect that some people have too much anger to be rational...and others simply don't want to be--rational.

I live in Texas because this is where I ended up.  I started in New Mexico and moved all over...for awhile.  I do blame both parties for the problems in this country.  Some say it's the people that are the problem.  People that feel they have no voice get discouraged.  I don't blame them.  I blame the politicians and economic inequality.

Anyway...thanks for your rational view points.  I truly am going to stop now because such a discussion is like jumping down a magic rabbit hole--it never ends.
[-] The following 2 users Like ballsrchr's post:
  • Dahlsim, khaled1987
Like Reply