Poll: Should Seth Curry start?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, he should start & finish and get 30+ min
40.00%
16 40.00%
No, but he should always finish
15.00%
6 15.00%
No, he's a role player. He should finish when he's hot; otherwise, he should sit.
45.00%
18 45.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Curry start?
(11-07-2019, 09:26 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Hopefully last game is the LAST time Carlisle starts Seth "Starter" Curry. Another negative performance from him (-6), and don't forget the choke job FT's that almost cost us the game. The one positive start he had was vs CLE where he was actually at a -1 until the final few minutes in garbage time where he padded his stats. 

His on/off court equals a whopping -36 as a starter. Off the bench he's at a +15.7 (on the season he's at -12.8)

He's been much better as a bench player, no idea why Carlisle insists on starting him when it hasn't worked out. The Courtney Lee experiment didn't last past 2 games. 

Hopefully, Carlisle doesn't continue to force this square peg in a round hole because Barea won't always be there to clean up the mess.

That is not luke warm.
Like Reply
I think the struggles in the starting lineup have more to do with sorting Porzingis' role and comfort level than it does Curry.  Curry is a benefit to pretty much any lineup that features a good penetrating guard or good low post scorer.  He spaces the floor and isn't a total spare on defense.  It is a situation that also requires the mavs (and Luka specifically) to be more aware of him and find him.  He is absolutely a weapon but he doesn't have a very high usage and he doesn't force shots.  

I have always thought that the main thing separating him and his bro is aggression.  I blame it on his college experience.  If he had gone to Davidson and been THE SHOW like his bro, he would be just like Steph/Trae are now.  He has those skills.  Maybe that equates to him coming off the bench and being more of a featured guy, but then, you would be looking for someone with his abilities to start - and the Mavs do not posses a player with his abilities... (maybe THJ when he is shooting from 3 like he is now.  Maybe JJax?).  

TL : DR version:  Let this thing simmer for a bit. It will work itself out.
Like Reply
(11-08-2019, 12:07 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: If he had gone to Davidson and been THE SHOW like his bro, he would be just like Steph/Trae are now.  He has those skills.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(11-08-2019, 12:07 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: He has those skills. 

He has some of Steph's skills. Steph also has an inch and probably 10-15 pounds on his little brother.

Curry is 6-3 and weighs about 185 pounds, and Kerr has long worried Curry could not handle the pounding of running every possession. "It's a lot harder when you are 185," Kerr told ESPN this week. "I'm not sure Steph is built for that."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2801...worked-out

It must be even harder on Seth at 6' 2" and 170 which is why there's always been a durability concern with him. Also makes it rather easy for a guy like Dwight Howard to grab him by the hips from behind and prevent him from contesting corner threes. Just sayin'.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 09:26 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Hopefully last game is the LAST time Carlisle starts Seth "Starter" Curry. Another negative performance from him (-6), and don't forget the choke job FT's that almost cost us the game. The one positive start he had was vs CLE where he was actually at a -1 until the final few minutes in garbage time where he padded his stats. 

His on/off court equals a whopping -36 as a starter. Off the bench he's at a +15.7 (on the season he's at -12.8)

He's been much better as a bench player, no idea why Carlisle insists on starting him when it hasn't worked out. The Courtney Lee experiment didn't last past 2 games. 

Hopefully, Carlisle doesn't continue to force this square peg in a round hole because Barea won't always be there to clean up the mess.

That's a bad use for a lineup stat, especially applied to an individual on such a small sample size. The team has started slow on most nights. You sure Seth is the cause of that? That's not what I see on the court. 

"Carlisle insists", "he hasn't worked out", "force this square peg"...are you serious? Rick has toyed with the starting lineup which is far from settled, and we've collected a whopping 7 games of data on something that has changed 5 or 6 times...I don't think this is a context where anything done with the starting lineup is "insisting" or "forcing" because there isn't enough data to say that anything "hasn't worked out".

This is the time of the season where decisions are made based on what the coach sees and what he's trying to forge among the players. Now is the time to build the data sets for the lineups you want to find out about. Lineup data at this point represents an insufficient sample size and is taken from start of the season experimentation during a stretch where the team is still trying to learn how to play together.
Like Reply
(11-08-2019, 10:40 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 12:07 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: If he had gone to Davidson and been THE SHOW like his bro, he would be just like Steph/Trae are now.  He has those skills.

I don't mind the laugh.  All good.  I will double down.  While I agree that his frame is slightly smaller than Steph, it isn't THAT big of a difference, and being a primary offensive force isn't even what we are asking him to do with Luka around to do the dirty work.  If you don't like the comp to his brother, then I give you Lou Williams, who is shorter/lighter than Seth...  No one is making excuses for him, and he is one of the top FTA guys in the league.  

Seth has a great game, but my point is that Steph is almost always in attack mode - has been since he was a rookie (and to my original point, since college).  He is an absolute killer.  Seth is too passive, imo.  He totally lets the game come to him at most times.  When he is aggressive, he is successful!  Love his game, whether shooting, pick/roll distribution/scoring, or driving.  He is quick and crafty (like the other guys mentioned).  Trae clearly has the advantage in the passing dept.  I have been impressed with his vision! 

Bottom line as it relates to Curry starting, he will remain a nice secondary ballhandler and a great spacer (his primary function) and source of gravity to free up whatever becomes of the Luka/DP/KP offense that has been the primary action to start games this season.  The intro of DP has shifted the balance and when RC gets that straightened out, they will be able to use more of the playbook - which includes weaponizing the designated shooter role that Curry will excel in this year!  This thing is just getting rolling!
Like Reply
(11-08-2019, 04:03 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 10:40 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote:

I don't mind the laugh.  All good.  I will double down.  While I agree that his frame is slightly smaller than Steph, it isn't THAT big of a difference, and being a primary offensive force isn't even what we are asking him to do with Luka around to do the dirty work.  If you don't like the comp to his brother, then I give you Lou Williams, who is shorter/lighter than Seth...  No one is making excuses for him, and he is one of the top FTA guys in the league.  

Seth has a great game, but my point is that Steph is almost always in attack mode - has been since he was a rookie (and to my original point, since college).  He is an absolute killer.  Seth is too passive, imo.  He totally lets the game come to him at most times.  When he is aggressive, he is successful!  Love his game, whether shooting, pick/roll distribution/scoring, or driving.  He is quick and crafty (like the other guys mentioned).  Trae clearly has the advantage in the passing dept.  I have been impressed with his vision! 

Bottom line as it relates to Curry starting, he will remain a nice secondary ballhandler and a great spacer (his primary function) and source of gravity to free up whatever becomes of the Luka/DP/KP offense that has been the primary action to start games this season.  The intro of DP has shifted the balance and when RC gets that straightened out, they will be able to use more of the playbook - which includes weaponizing the designated shooter role that Curry will excel in this year!  This thing is just getting rolling!

He has a great mid-range!!!!
Like Reply
Im still all in for a

Wright
Curry
Luka
KP

and Maxi Boban Dodo (If he can keep hitting the 3) as our spin of the wheel last starter...
Like Reply
I know there have been alot of responses lately that are blaming Rick for lack of minutes and strange rotations but at the end of the day it's gotta be on the player itself and his teammates for producing or not. Especially when Rick's offensive system does not involve alot of set plays and is based on free flowing movement. Its on Seth and his teammates to find open shots and be more aggressive.
Like Reply
His ability to space the floor with his shooting gives Dallas something which they do not possess in abundance. Unless he is absolutely shitting the bed, he needs to be a fixture in finishing games (20-25 min/night). They can do that without overexposing or subjecting him to overuse.
MFFL est. 1980
Like Reply
It is almost like RC listened to us finally. Run offense in spurts for Curry, he is TOO good not to!
Like Reply
Curry should start the rest of the year. I doubt that happens, but we are better with him playing with the starters.
Like Reply
Loved seeing him come out in attack mode against the Griz.  Now THAT was aggressive!
Like Reply
(11-09-2019, 10:29 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Curry should start the rest of the year. I doubt that happens, but we are better with him playing with the starters.

Hasn't he laid some pretty big starting eggs though? I'd love to see a stat line like he had his first stint here, he is not showing that so far.
Like Reply
Yet another NEGATIVE impact from Seth "Starter" Curry last night. Great offense but defense was getting cooked by Tyus Jones and D. Melton. Luckily for us, Ja Morant was out. I wonder if Carlisle sticks with him versus Kemba and company. 

We're about to face better teams more often in the coming weeks, Carlisle needs to figure out his line-ups pronto.
Like Reply
Surprise, surprise. Yet another NEGATIVE performance by Seth "Starter" Curry. Similarly to Harrison Barnes, when he's not scoring he's giving you little to nothing else. Don't get the love affair for Seth, good bench player, terrible starter!! 

Carlisle whatcha gonna do brother when the losses start running wild on you?
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 10:19 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Surprise, surprise. Yet another NEGATIVE performance by Seth "Starter" Curry. Similarly to Harrison Barnes, when he's not scoring he's giving you little to nothing else. Don't get the love affair for Seth, good bench player, terrible starter!!

What would you do with the Mavs' roster?
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 10:19 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Surprise, surprise. Yet another NEGATIVE performance by Seth "Starter" Curry. Similarly to Harrison Barnes, when he's not scoring he's giving you little to nothing else. Don't get the love affair for Seth, good bench player, terrible starter!! 

You seem to do a lot of whining on the matter of people's opinion on Curry when he has a sub par game or doesn't play many minutes, but you sure are quiet when he plays well to justify everyone's opinion on the subject matter of this thread.

Do you see the difference in his numbers when he gets touches or has the chance to actually get shots up?

You can trash anyone on the roster not getting enough touches or shot opportunities at any moment when you look at the stat sheets. Why so negative with Curry?
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 07:50 PM)Lucky Luciano Wrote:

You seem to do a lot of whining on the matter of people's opinion on Curry when he has a sub par game or doesn't play many minutes, but you sure are quiet when he plays well to justify everyone's opinion on the subject matter of this thread.

Do you see the difference in his numbers when he gets touches or has the chance to actually get shots up?

You can trash anyone on the roster not getting enough touches or shot opportunities at any moment when you look at the stat sheets. Why so negative with Curry?

Last night was the lineup I wanted to see and I was unimpressed. I would like to see it again against a defense that isn't quite as tough as Boston but I haven't been impressed with Curry as a starter so far. At this point I am thinking I like Brunson's game better. Seth hasn't been able to beat his guy off the dribble which means he just dribbles around and has to give the ball up when he's not shooting an open jump shot. Brunson has a lot more to his game and can get others involved too.

Right now I'd like to see a starting lineup that is the following:
Brunson
Luka
DFS or Wright
Maxi
KP

I also wish we would play Boban with KP more as they play well together and we need to boost KP's confidence more than anything.
Like Reply
He's worthless if he's not shooting 3's...
Like Reply