Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSJ - The "Should We Have" Watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAzf9dxPqfg
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
I really wanted the come full circle, be the secondary creator for the Mavs moment here....I REALLY REALLY did....
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 1 user Likes TXBamanut's post:
  • jdb152
Like Reply
(10-12-2021, 02:20 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: I really wanted the come full circle, be the secondary creator for the Mavs moment here....I REALLY REALLY did....

I like the roll of the dice of Frank but was hopeful that DSJ returning to Dallas would happen. I think on this roster and with the new leadership he would have had a real shot to become a valuable piece of the bench.
" I always wanted to be a basketball player. Nothing more, nothing less." - Dirk Nowitzki
Like Reply
I wanted DSJ to be the secondary creator for the team up until he straight up quit because he couldn’t handle not being the primary creator. And that's before I even totally appreciated the reality that he was only the third-best creator on the team behind Luka and Brunson. 

I always liked the idea of DSJ. But he's not that person, and IMO there's no reason to pine over that particular ex.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • TXBamanut
Like Reply
I like Frankie, but I think DSJ is closer to being a complete player. Not sure Frank ever develops enough of an offensive game to play more than spot D minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes embellisher's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(10-12-2021, 06:57 PM)Tyler Wrote: ... up until he straight up quit ...

I've thought the same way.  A few things in the video intrigued me, though, even if I don't  get too excited about highlights.

DSJ was finishing crafty layups instead of forcing dunks and getting blocked. And he kinda seemed comfortable running some half court stuff. It was interesting because it was different from Dallas DSJ.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • Tyler
Like Reply
Yeah, even if I'm not so keen on him returning to Dallas because of how he acted when he had an opportunity most players would kill for, I still can appreciate when a young player figures things out and is able to turn the corner. Dennis has had a really rough time since his Dallas days, and I'm still rooting for him to find a home in the league somewhere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Nope. Saw enough the first go 'round.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LifeAquatic's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
You know I would have been on board with that. I love that kid. I thought before that draft that he had all star potential. He just needed to be humbled a bit.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
(10-13-2021, 12:58 AM)audiosway Wrote: You know I would have been on board with that. I love that kid. I thought before that draft that he had all star potential. He just needed to be humbled a bit.

Agreed. His perspective on everything probably changed a bit. Listening to morons like DAJ and Wes Matthews wasn´t the best influence early in his NBA career. Luka asserting his dominance on the whole league, arguably the best player in the world puts his own diminshing PG role in perspective, too. Not like he lost his job to somebody like DJ Augustin or Trey Burke. Then all the hard situations in his personal life, the pressure of being the KP trade centerpiece. There are excuses/explanations for DSJ struggles and an argument for a successful back-up guard career somewhere. I sure hope Ntilikina has at least one game, where he shows a little more in pre-season. We all know what would be happening if Frankie balled out a 17 pt game with 7 assists. Frankie "Le Gant" Ntilikina. Big Grin
Like Reply
It is a good place for him.  Although I am not sure he gets much playing time looking at their roster.   I am not sure if he is even a lock to make the team.    When he does get his chance, he needs to be ready to produce.  The quickest way for him to earn minutes as a backup is be a good defender, take care of the ball, and be able to run an offense when Dame sits.  He needs to be reliable and dependable.    Once he finds a role where he gets consistent minutes than he can work to expand his role.  

With Dame, CJ, Powell, Simons in front of him there may not be a lot of minutes.  Not sure where he fits in with guys like Tony Snell, Ben McLemore, and Quinn Cook in the roster pecking order either.
Like Reply
Here's the point, and I think we'll see this.  DSJ is a very humbled and reality acclimated dude, now.  I don't think he was when he came to the Mavs.  I heard an interview and you have to realize, all those guys in the draft that year, DSJ had come up with them all through AAU and all that and was the Alpha in the room.  I legit think he thought that he would just be the Alpha, like always, and when he wasn't, it was a big blow to the ego.

He needed to get humbled a bit to come down to Earth...not as a person, whom he seemed to be a good one, but as a B-ball player.  I think a second round of DSJ would be a MUCH more grateful, hard working better fit....BUT...

it's not going to happen...and I'm not sure there's a place on this team for him.

For Pete's sake, what guard is playing bad...2 way or guaranteed, right now?  No one...Tyrell Terry may be edged out simply because he's not here to show people that he can play and the only person he's got a prayer of outdoing, if you take pre-season, is McLaughlin, but he's just had a hard couple of games, he's not been bad.  Burke was really good the other night....I thought he was gone, but he made a case...no doubt...so I just don't know how you justify keeping Terry, unless he's been out of his mind in practice before he left OR you keep giving him a pass because of the mental health issues and personal problems.  I really don't like saying that, because I genuinely wish him well and success in the league, but at some point, you have to be here...a second round pick can't just keep promising the future while they reserve a spot for him...some day.  I say that realizing that he may be with a dying family member or who knows...the grace of the organization can only last so long.

Really...that's just being real.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
I like him and wish the best for him.  I’d love to see him carve it a spot for himself in this league.  That being said I struggle to see his fit due to his lack of jump shot.
Like Reply