Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason Expectation Thread
With preseason all but a week away and the boring offseason comes to a close, now's the time to get a glimpse of the new changes that Kidd will implement. 

I'm curious to see what everyone will be looking for in these meaningless pre-season games.  I for one will be particularly studying KP's role as a PF. Given his comments yesterday, I think the Mavs are going to play much less structured. Under RC playing the 4 essentially meant you're a spacer. What does playing the 4 under Kidd mean? I guess we'll find out.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing Josh Green play. I hope he's added a shot to his arsenal because I think this team looks a lot different if Green can be trusted to play 18-20 minutes a night.

What are some things that you'll be focusing on?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
KP will be my primary focus as well, looking to see how Kidd will use him differently on offense, and also watching to see if he looks better on D.

Next will be the new players, especially Moses and Sterling, since they're not a known commodity like Bullock. 

And of course, the youngsters, starting with Green,I really feel like we need to see something from him pretty quickly, to know whether he has a future here. 

Also really curious to see if Burke gets any significant minutes in preseason.
Like Reply
Curious about all the new players and how everyone will fit with Kidd.  Likely a honeymoon period during preseason with really good effort.

Looking forward to Oct 1st in case that is Dragic Day?

Ready to watch the Mavs and Mavsluvr on my legal streaming service.  Maybe it won't have as much time delay as HeHestreams did during games.
Like Reply
I am looking to see if they figure out how to execute in the clutch...number 2 is what will they do to keep Luka fresh for the 4th quarter...number 3 is who will play and be successful next to KP...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
For the next few weeks it will be about who's going to make the final 15.

Followed closely by what is the rotation going to look like. How deep will JK go into the bench on a nightly basis?
Like Reply
These are not just for preseason 

1. Are there signs of new defensive intensity, defensive impact from new players and smart defensive scheme?
2. Can KP move and impact the game on defense? 
3. Is the team playing with joy and having fun?
4. Are there signs of offense generated by things other than Luka magic and Brunson drives to the basket?
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • ClutchDirk, dirkfansince1998, Kammrath
Like Reply
(09-28-2021, 06:37 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: number 3 is who will play and be successful next to KP...

This one fascinates me.  If you go back to early in the 19/20 season when we had that historically efficient offense, Powell was starting and KP was brought along slowly in terms of his offensive role.  There was a narrative that Powell was holding KP back.  My belief was KP wasn't totally ready and once he became ready the O was so dominant it was hard to justify pivoting toward more KP.  The prevailing starting lineup for games 4-43 that season was Luka, THJ, DFS, KP and Powell.

Then Powell got hurt.  For the next six weeks or so (February and the part of March before the league shut down), KP was dominant.  He was 25.2/10.6 and a +16.1 in nine games in February and 23.2/11.2 and +15.8 in five games in March.  It was arguably the best stretch of his career.

Kidd's challenge is dialing up the right combo of Peak KP and screen setting savant Powell when both are on the floor together.  Luka and DFS have both improved since that early 2020 period and I think the O has a chance to be unbelievably good.  I'll also be very curious to see if Kidd will be willing to run Brunson/Brown/Bullock/Maxi/WCS out there as a stand alone unit or if we will continue to get Luka +2 starters and KP +3 starters as the main way they soak up minutes when the starters aren't in the game.  I doubt pre-season will tell us the answer.  I've often bemoaned the fact that I thought we could really use one more guy who was rotation worthy.  I think Sterling will end up being that guy unless Green or FBN (B stands for Brian apparently) takes a giant leap forward.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ClutchDirk, fifteenth
Like Reply
I really wish we could get back to that Powell/Kleber bench combo that was so great for a few years til RC broke up the duo and started Powell.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • embellisher
Like Reply
Maybe I'm buying the LA AD role thing. Use the Luka, 3 wings and KP lineup sparingly until the playoffs so as to keep KP in tip top shape through out the season and into the playoffs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(09-30-2021, 08:34 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I really wish we could get back to that Powell/Kleber bench combo that was so great for a few years til RC broke up the duo and started Powell.

That means Willie or Moses at 5 if KP stays at 4 like JK indicated? I wouldn't mind seeing how that played for a few games. Moses is all potential right now and Willie (apparently) doesn't always show up mentally. Rebounds, defense and put-backs are similar skill sets for these two, I think.
Like Reply
(09-30-2021, 08:49 AM)michaeltex Wrote: That means Willie or Moses at 5 if KP stays at 4 like JK indicated? I wouldn't mind seeing how that played for a few games. Moses is all potential right now and Willie (apparently) doesn't always show up mentally. Rebounds, defense and put-backs are similar skill sets for these two, I think.
Well, in my world, we found a better option for starting C a while ago. Right now I pretty much agree that Powell is the best option (WCS could take a consistent step forward which would be great).
Like Reply
(09-30-2021, 07:20 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Kidd's challenge is dialing up the right combo of Peak KP and screen setting savant Powell when both are on the floor together.  Luka and DFS have both improved since that early 2020 period and I think the O has a chance to be unbelievably good. 

For reference, the Luka, THJ, DFS, KP and Powell five man lineup posted a +11 in 19/20 (O= 120.3, D=109.3).  As a two-man pairing, KP with Powell were +11.9 (O=117.1, D = 105.3).  Bullock takes the Curry role (improved D with similar shooting).  Sterling takes the D. Wright role (improved shooting with similar D). The off-season was about the bench as the team is betting they already had a +11.9 starting lineup in place (and this was before KP was fully in rhythm that season).
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(09-30-2021, 09:45 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: For reference, the Luka, THJ, DFS, KP and Powell five man lineup posted a +11 in 19/20 (O= 120.3, D=109.3).  As a two-man pairing, KP with Powell were +11.9 (O=117.1, D = 105.3).  Bullock takes the Curry role (improved D with similar shooting).  Sterling takes the D. Wright role (improved shooting with similar D). The off-season was about the bench as the team is betting they already had a +11.9 starting lineup in place (and this was before KP was fully in rhythm that season).

When you put the numbers to it, it is hard to argue the case.  Add Brunson and we have our top 9 man rotation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(09-30-2021, 07:20 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This one fascinates me.  If you go back to early in the 19/20 season when we had that historically efficient offense, Powell was starting and KP was brought along slowly in terms of his offensive role.  There was a narrative that Powell was holding KP back.  My belief was KP wasn't totally ready and once he became ready the O was so dominant it was hard to justify pivoting toward more KP. 

I totally agree with your take on how that went down. Great logic, and really clearly articulated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Two things I will be watching closest:
- minutes without Luka and
- will offense be totally Luka centric or not
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-02-2021, 02:01 PM)omahen Wrote: Two things I will be watching closest:
- minutes without Luka and
- will offense be totally Luka centric or not

Agree.  A one-man team, even a winning one-man team is a recipe for disaster.

WAB
[-] The following 2 users Like WildArkieBoy's post:
  • ClutchDirk, KillerLeft
Like Reply