Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Luka needs to add this element to his game
Fadeaway Midrange jumpers and a mid range jump shot

Similar to what you saw with Jordan and what Kawai does now

If Luka adds that element to his game he will no doubt be in the conversation of future best player in the world
Like Reply
What is this? The 90s?
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
(10-27-2019, 01:50 PM)deronjohn Wrote: Fadeaway Midrange jumpers and a mid range jump shot

Similar to what you saw with Jordan and what Kawai does now

If Luka adds that element to his game he will no doubt be in the conversation of future best player in the world

Luka already does what he wants in the mid-range scoring like kuroko-no-basuke Aomine Daichi in all facettes and unorthodox ways. He will naturally grow better each game.
Like Reply
(10-27-2019, 01:53 PM)j0Shi Wrote: What is this? The 90s?

I do remember a guy winning the championship last year with this skill-set...
Like Reply
(10-28-2019, 11:19 AM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote:

It sounds rather elementary for me to make a post like this but it truly is a lost art. 

Jordan basically lived in the midrange but he perfected that skillset after the age of 30 

Kawhi basically worked on it the last few years 

Given the spacing that he gets with Porzingis on the court if he adds that element to his game he will be un'guardable

Like Reply
(10-28-2019, 09:54 PM)deronjohn Wrote:

It sounds rather elementary for me to make a post like this but it truly is a lost art. 

Jordan basically lived in the midrange but he perfected that skillset after the age of 30 

Kawhi basically worked on it the last few years 

Given the spacing that he gets with Porzingis on the court if he adds that element to his game he will be un'guardable

True, I thought the point of the game was to score points the best way you can. The analysts have taken over the farm.
Like Reply

Luka is a different player though. He's a playmaker before a scorer. Not that a midrange shot can't come in handy in specific situations, but he already has plenty tools to contribute late without it. He is a magician around the rim for example and I would hate him settling for midrange jumpers instead of trying to facilitate.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 01:54 AM)j0Shi Wrote: He's a playmaker before a scorer.

I like Luka's playmaking, but this statement doesn't fly. So far, 25 ppg vs 6.8 apg. Last year 21.2 ppg vs 6 apg. Eye test tells me he's looking to score more than he's looking to pass as well.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 07:25 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I like Luka's playmaking, but this statement doesn't fly. So far, 25 ppg vs 6.8 apg. Last year 21.2 ppg vs 6 apg. Eye test tells me he's looking to score more than he's looking to pass as well.

Playmaking vs. scoring is not points vs. assists. It's the ability to make the right play for you or others vs. the ability to just flat out put the ball in the basket (one on one, but not limited to). Maybe playmaker and finisher are better terms to illustrate the difference.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 08:53 AM)j0Shi Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 07:25 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I like Luka's playmaking, but this statement doesn't fly. So far, 25 ppg vs 6.8 apg. Last year 21.2 ppg vs 6 apg. Eye test tells me he's looking to score more than he's looking to pass as well.

Playmaking vs. scoring is not points vs. assists. It's the ability to make the right play for you or others vs. the ability to just flat out put the ball in the basket (one on one, but not limited to). Maybe playmaker and finisher are better terms to illustrate the difference.

If the finisher/scorer is good at it, then that's the correct play as well, so by your definition, just about everyone with the ball is a playmaker first.
Like Reply
I've to say that I actually think Luka is a score first guy who is also a willing passer and great playmaker. 
Regardingtheid-range, I also agree that he should add it. Every player need to add more to his arsenal. mid-range shot is still a thing in the NBA.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 10:43 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If the finisher/scorer is good at it, then that's the correct play as well, so by your definition, just about everyone with the ball is a playmaker first.

I disagree but that's ok. There's a nuance to it that's quite important to be honest. There are just those players that make others around them better. Booker for example is a classic scorer. I think Durant and AD are as well. Curry in the meantime is a playmaker, as well as LeBron.

Examples for scorers in recent Mavs memory are Barnes and DSJ. Mavs wanted them to become playmakers, but they never developed into it.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 03:34 PM)j0Shi Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 10:43 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If the finisher/scorer is good at it, then that's the correct play as well, so by your definition, just about everyone with the ball is a playmaker first.

I disagree but that's ok. There's a nuance to it that's quite important to be honest. There are just those players that make others around them better. Booker for example is a classic scorer. I think Durant and AD are as well. Curry in the meantime is a playmaker, as well as LeBron.

Examples for scorers in recent Mavs memory are Barnes and DSJ. Mavs wanted them to become playmakers, but they never developed into it.

I think it's inaccurate to call anyone making mid to upper 20's in ppg a playmaker first. The volume of shooting first has to come into play at some point.
Like Reply