Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are tear it down and start fresh candidates?
Last season it was Houston and Orlando that decided they are not going anywhere and that it makes most sense to start fresh. So who are your candidates this season?

I have Portland on top of my list, although it is probably most likely they will hold until next summer and tear it down then, if things will not go according to plans. They might do it at TDL, if things really start badly and Lillard asks out. Other then them I don't really have a clear cut candidate.
Like Reply
Wizards are a good candidate. When things start to go south (East already have a bunch of very good teams), they have to start selling Beal (last year of the contract) and the vets like ORL did with Gordon/Fournier/Vuc (Dinwiddie/Harrell/Kuzma/Bertans/KCP). No chance Beal stays one more season if they underperform (he's already linked to BOS to play with Tatum). They also have a decent young core to work with: Hachimura/Avdija/Holiday/Gafford/Kispert/Todd).

In the west, i can see POR (even though I think they have a better team than us) but probably comes down to which team don't make the play-in or have a very bad start to the season (SAC/SAS/MIN are the prime candidates). OKC/HOU for sure don't make it. MEM already sold a little this offseason thinking ahead.
Like Reply
Indiana. They're very much in treadmill territory and their core is hitting the age where you want to start seeing some results. Brogdon is soon to be 29, Warren is 28, LaVert is 27, Turner is 25, Sabonis is 25. If RC doesn't give them a significant boost they're a prime candidate to blow it up
Like Reply
(09-09-2021, 02:04 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Indiana. They're very much in treadmill territory and their core is hitting the age where you want to start seeing some results. Brogdon is soon to be 29, Warren is 28, LaVert is 27, Turner is 25, Sabonis is 25. If RC doesn't give them a significant boost they're a prime candidate to blow it up

I also thought of them, but I don't think they are for two reasons. First they just brought a respected coach and you don't bring such a coach with a rebuild in mind. Secondly Indy was never really the one to tear it down under this administration. I could see them trading a piece or two for either better player(s) or young prospect(s), but I don't think they will just hold a firesale and trade everyone for youngsters and picks.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • MFFL, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
A bit late to the party here but is it bad that I don't think there are any clear cut tear it down teams? 

Indiana seems to be the only moderate good team with intriguing pieces that could qualify as tearing it down? But the Carlisle hire tells me they're in it for at least 3 seasons before they press the big red button. 

I'm going to be controversial and say the Lakers. Lebron nearing 37. Over 7 players greater than 35 years old. Barely any assets or young players. On paper this SCREAMS tear it down and restart. But they aren't actually going to do it until Lebron retires/leaves. I do hope they continually underperform the league is better when the Lakers are bad. Forces E!SPN to talk about other things. 

Sacramento is another one, though they havent really built anything yet. Portland is an obvious candidate as well. 

Tough one to call. Lots of teams teetering on the edge of blowing it up. But all of them have big roadblocks preventing them from doing it.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Lakers...LeBron is now mortal, AD is always hurt, and Westbrook cannot carry them without the other Stars...

Now that I said this will it happen?... Big Grin
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ClutchDirk's post:
  • dmavs4life03
Like Reply
I'm going to go with San Antonio. Right now they seem like a team that has enough talent to avoid a good lottery pick but they don't have that franchise caliber player yet.
Like Reply
(09-16-2021, 08:02 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: I'm going to go with San Antonio. Right now they seem like a team that has enough talent to avoid a good lottery pick but they don't have that franchise caliber player yet.
This is a good call cause some of their homegrown "young" guys are starting to get older.
Like Reply
(09-16-2021, 08:02 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: I'm going to go with San Antonio. Right now they seem like a team that has enough talent to avoid a good lottery pick but they don't have that franchise caliber player yet.

That is a good one I didn't think of as well. White is 26. Murray is 24. Neither of them are franchise caliber cornerstones, but are good enough to play yourself out of the top 5 of the lottery.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Atlanta Hawks:        Just no.
Boston Celtics:      Would trading Brown be "tearing it down`?"
Brooklyn Nets:        Lol, not this year.
Charlotte Hornets:    I can see them trade Hayward
Chicago Bulls:        Wow, this would be fun.
Cleveland Cavaliers:  nothing to tear down
Dallas Mavericks:    Just no.
Denver Nuggets:      Just no.
Detroit Pistons:      nothing to tear down.
Golden State Warriors: Not as long as Steph can walk.
Houston Rockets:      Yes - everything anybody wants.
Indiana Pacers:      Not yet. Maybe never.
Los Angeles Clippers: Will shuffle their Deck but keep the big2
Los Angeles Lakers:  not as long as LeBron can walk
Memphis Grizzlies:    Yes? I really can´t see what they are doing
Miami Heat:          No.
Milwaukee Bucks:      No.
Minnesota Timberwolves:They should, but wont.
New Orleans Pelicans: What the heck are they doing again?
New York Knicks:      No.
Oklahoma City Thunder: Everything, that is left and more.
Orlando Magic:        Is there anything to tear down?
Philadelphia 76ers:  They are not done harvesting their last teardown.
Phoenix Suns:        No
Portland Trail Blazers: There will be something in motion. But what?
Sacramento Kings:    Yes.
San Antonio Spurs:    Their players are just not interesting enough to get something worth the while
Toronto Raptors: They should, but maybe will fall into the Ainge-trap
Utah Jazz:            Can´t see it.
Washington Wizards:  No, Beal wants his supermax, and as long as he is there, they will try.
Like Reply