Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nerlens Noel files lawsuit against Klutch Sports agent Rich Paul
https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/n...-rich-paul
Like Reply
(08-25-2021, 09:12 AM)MFFL Wrote: https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/n...-rich-paul

If the MBT offer you a big contract 90% of the time it´s an stupid overpay (Whiteside, Howard, Deron Williams, Barnes, Parsons, Matthews, Powell, Jordan, Porzingis) so any agent advice to turn down a Mavs offer is clearly gross negligence. Easy win for Noel. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
(08-25-2021, 10:41 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: If the MBT offer you a big contract 90% of the time it´s an stupid overpay (Whiteside, Howard, Deron Williams, Barnes, Parsons, Matthews, Powell, Jordan, Porzingis) so any agent advice to turn down a Mavs offer is clearly gross negligence. Easy win for Noel. Big Grin

so true! ultimately its on NOEL to sign or not sign the deal and to think this guy ( after getting traded for practically nothing to the Mavericks ) would believe another team would offer that money or something close to it is laughable.  If his agent told him that his agent did screw him but that's the game you play.  Just like Dennis these guys must perform to get the money they want and neither has when it mattered most so they should both blame their play and accept they made a mistake saying no. 

it baffles me a guy that has never been more than a fringe starter double double guy *if that* would say no to that much money! that was HIS EGO talking not RICH PAUL.
Like Reply
Rich Paul has a duty to provide candid, competent advice. If he failed to do so, Noel’s stupidity is no defense in court. Telling him he’s worth $100 million? No liability for that opinion. He wasn’t even Noel’s agent yet. Failing to urgently communicate teams’ interest at the outset of free agency? That sounds like a winner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(08-25-2021, 08:21 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Rich Paul has a duty to provide candid, competent advice. If he failed to do so, Noel’s stupidity is no defense in court. Telling him he’s worth $100 million? No liability for that opinion. He wasn’t even Noel’s agent yet. Failing to urgently communicate teams’ interest at the outset of free agency? That sounds like a winner.

I agree with this...completely.  BUT...I am so glad that the Mavs didn't end up overpaying NN...like it seems they have done so with several other average, or journeyman, players.  Hopefully this new management team will be competent in assessing player value to the team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
(08-26-2021, 07:02 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: I agree with this...completely.  BUT...I am so glad that the Mavs didn't end up overpaying NN...like it seems they have done so with several other average, or journeyman, players.  Hopefully this new management team will be competent in assessing player value to the team.

It was an overpay, but that´s not even the biggest issue. Just like Rondo there was clearly a huge disconnect between Carlisle and the others in the MBT. They acquired Noel and Carlisle immediately benched him for Sleepy Sammy. Before the next season Carlisle humiliated him by telling him that he would not be the starter through the media. This was just like the whole Rondo episode. Carlisle taking out his front office frustrations on certain players. In Rondo´s case it was over the play-calling, in Noel´s case it was over his free-roaming defensive interpretation. In both cases Carlisle had no intention to compromise and take advantage of the actual skills both players possessed, because he did not like their acquisition in the first place. Crazy to think how long ago Rondo and Noel have been and this internal struggle never went away. Dirk truly is a saint.
[-] The following 6 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • ballsrchr, dmavs4life03, Jommybone, MrGoat, Paul Gasol, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(08-26-2021, 07:46 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: It was an overpay, but that´s not even the biggest issue. Just like Rondo there was clearly a huge disconnect between Carlisle and the others in the MBT. They acquired Noel and Carlisle immediately benched him for Sleepy Sammy. Before the next season Carlisle humiliated him by telling him that he would not be the starter through the media. This was just like the whole Rondo episode. Carlisle taking out his front office frustrations on certain players. In Rondo´s case it was over the play-calling, in Noel´s case it was over his free-roaming defensive interpretation. In both cases Carlisle had no intention to compromise and take advantage of the actual skills both players possessed, because he did not like their acquisition in the first place. Crazy to think how long ago Rondo and Noel have been and this internal struggle never went away. Dirk truly is a saint.

I still wonder if the whole Noel thing is one of the reasons FAs tend to avoid Dallas. Noel jokes aside it was a terrible look for the organization. Trade for a guy only to get in an ugly contract dispute, he wants out so bad he signs the QO risking tons of money, and we bench him out of spite and destroyed his market value.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2947...-landscape
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-27-2021, 11:37 AM)MrGoat Wrote: I still wonder if the whole Noel thing is one of the reasons FAs tend to avoid Dallas. Noel jokes aside it was a terrible look for the organization. Trade for a guy only to get in an ugly contract dispute, he wants out so bad he signs the QO risking tons of money, and we bench him out of spite and destroyed his market value.

+How we treated Tyson (twice)
+How we traded Barnes
Like Reply
(08-27-2021, 07:45 PM)cow Wrote: +How we treated Tyson (twice)
+How we traded Barnes

They Barnes thing was way overblown.  He and his agent knew he was in talks to be traded before the game and he chose to play and he's not the only player that has ever 

a) chosen to play when he could be traded
b)  been used during a game.

That was all media hype.

I'm with you on TC.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(08-27-2021, 07:51 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: They Barnes thing was way overblown.  He and his agent knew he was in talks to be traded before the game and he chose to play and he's not the only player that has ever 

a) chosen to play when he could be traded
b)  been used during a game.

That was all media hype.

I'm with you on TC.

Overblown or not, the perception matters and numerous players have brought up Barnes in reference to how players are treated when they demand a trade versus when their teams trade them.  It's more than media hype.
Like Reply
(08-27-2021, 07:45 PM)cow Wrote: +How we treated Tyson (twice)
+How we traded Barnes

Jameer Nelson is actually one of the worst. He took a pay cut to come here in free agency because he wanted to be in the playoffs and we traded him after 25 or so games in that disastrous Rondo trade and he wound up on a lottery bound Nuggets team.
Like Reply
(08-27-2021, 09:13 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Jameer Nelson is actually one of the worst. He took a pay cut to come here in free agency because he wanted to be in the playoffs and we traded him after 25 or so games in that disastrous Rondo trade and he wound up on a lottery bound Nuggets team.

Jameer was so good for us that year. We were running that 3 headed point guard monster to the tune of a #1 offensive rating.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
More and more I am starting to think that the new trend in soccer of "exclusive agent "is the way to go in sports.
Players hire a law firm/lawyer that will only work and represent them, protect their best interests and test the market for them etc rather than hire a "super agent" who has relation with ton of other players in mind.
De Bruyne, Messi, Salah, Mpabbe all don't hire a known agent
Like Reply
(08-27-2021, 07:45 PM)cow Wrote: +How we traded Barnes

Barnes was a pending FA who Dallas already knew they didn't plan to keep. So they traded him early (for pennies on the dollar) to a team of his choice that was then able to sign him to an $85mm deal using his Bird rights. He was kept in the loop the entire time, he chose to keep playing because he's a good dude, and to my knowledge he's never said a negative thing about the entire situation.

Look past the anti-Mavs narrative spun by people who don't know what they're talking about, and Dallas went out of their way to treat Barnes extremely well.
Like Reply
(08-28-2021, 12:12 PM)Tyler Wrote: Barnes was a pending FA who Dallas already knew they didn't plan to keep. So they traded him early (for pennies on the dollar) to a team of his choice that was then able to sign him to an $85mm deal using his Bird rights. He was kept in the loop the entire time, he chose to keep playing because he's a good dude, and to my knowledge he's never said a negative thing about the entire situation.

Look past the anti-Mavs narrative spun by people who don't know what they're talking about, and Dallas went out of their way to treat Barnes extremely well.

The reality of the situation doesn't matter.  The perception was bad and how he was traded has been mentioned in a negative light by several players around the league.  The smart thing to do would have been to net let him play.
Like Reply
(08-28-2021, 12:21 PM)cow Wrote: The reality of the situation doesn't matter.  The perception was bad and how he was traded has been mentioned in a negative light by several players around the league.

I disagree. Reality matters, and I wager that the same (uninformed) players who criticized it early on developed a different opinion once they were presented with all of the information. We should all strive to do our best not to perpetuate misleading narratives.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(08-28-2021, 12:29 PM)Tyler Wrote: I disagree. Reality matters, and I wager that the same (uninformed) players who criticized it early on developed a different opinion once they were presented with all of the information. We should all strive to do our best not to perpetuate misleading narratives.

You are fine to disagree but the negative perception is still well in tact.  Harrison Barnes was brought up by players as recently as James Harden forcing his way out of Houston.
Like Reply