Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"TAKE DAT WIT YOU" GRADES THE MAVS
(08-11-2021, 11:38 AM)DaRiv Wrote: This may be an unpopular take, but we are approaching a reckoning of whether the issue is with the players we have paired with Luka in the past, or with Luka himself.  So far, we have churned thru:  DSJ, Seth Curry, Delon Wright, and JRich.  DSJ may or may not be an NBA player.  Seth definitely is, but was wildly inconsistent here.  Delon didn't fit in, even though he has had a solid career.  JRich played good D, hit his free throws, and was amazing behind the arc DURING THE PRESEASON, but he failed, too.  I am skeptical that Reggie Bullock with outperform the mean here.

I imagine that's a pretty common feeling. I think fans are getting a little jaded with all the guys who have not lived up to the hype, and many will wait to see the improvement before they believe it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:42 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I get why people go here (it is logical) but when we look at the evidence of Luka in every other situation outside of DAL we don't find these issues at ALL. There is something about the environment IN DAL that has led to these issues IMO. I am hopeful that the coaching change up will be the big watershed moment that changes the dynamics.

I hear you.  If the environment was indeed the dynamic, then I would have rather they kept JRich.  I thought his defense was generally very good, and I saw him singlehandedly shut down Jamal Murray.  His free throws were key, and were a scarce resource on this team.  He had a positive prior relationship with Luka.  If the prior environment was an issue, then I would downgrade this offseason even further for letting JRich go.
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 12:23 PM)DaRiv Wrote: I hear you.  If the environment was indeed the dynamic, then I would have rather they kept JRich.  I thought his defense was generally very good, and I saw him singlehandedly shut down Jamal Murray.  His free throws were key, and were a scarce resource on this team.  He had a positive prior relationship with Luka.  If the prior environment was an issue, then I would downgrade this offseason even further for letting JRich go.

I don't want to belabor it, but I have a basically 100% opposite view on JR (other than agreeing about him having a good off court relationship with Luka and being clutch at the line).
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:53 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I imagine that's a pretty common feeling. I think fans are getting a little jaded with all the guys who have not lived up to the hype, and many will wait to see the improvement before they believe it.

I don't think Bullock has a bunch of hype.  He's a 3D guy to add to our other two 3D guys.  I don't expect him to turn the Mavs defense into the Knicks, but he should help us improve.

The JRich trade was terrible at the time.  We took someone with an elite NBA skill, who wanted to be here and who had a really favorable contract and turned him into an expiring contract with a player that was a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none.
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:38 AM)DaRiv Wrote: I am skeptical that Reggie Bullock with outperform the mean here.

I can appreciate where you are coming from, given the list you named and considering we havn’t seen Bullock play yet. 

But I disagree on Seth Curry consistency. IMO, he was amazing here. 45% from 3. He was THE guy who could get his own shot. He played reasonable defense. But I think the Mavs had a cap strategy and it was two of Maxi, Powell, and Curry that had to go to pre-prepare for FA 2021(Giannis sweepstakes). Unfortunately Mavs FO made the wrong choice. 

That takes me to Bullock. And styles make fights. Give Luka guys who can stand in the corner and shoot and all things will be good. Like guys who can REALLY shoot. These half way shooters might look good for a few games here and there and Luka can improve their stats, but give him real deal shooters and the championship is ours.

Is Bullock a real deal shooter? I hope so. He’s got the stats at least.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 08:18 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: But I disagree on Seth Curry consistency. IMO, he was amazing here. 45% from 3. He was THE guy who could get his own shot.

According to basketball-reference, in 2019-2020 Seth scored:

0-9 points in 28 games;
10-19 points in 24 games;
20-29 points in 10 games; and
30-39 points in 2 games.

He is a great shooter but there were games where he didn’t shoot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DaRiv's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 10:21 PM)DaRiv Wrote: According to basketball-reference, in 2019-2020 Seth scored:

0-9 points in 28 games;
10-19 points in 24 games;
20-29 points in 10 games; and
30-39 points in 2 games.

He is a great shooter but there were games where he didn’t shoot.

As a credit to your point, he only scored double digits in 13 of the 25 games he started.

Alternatively, he scored double digits in 29 of the 35 games he played more than 24 minutes.(probably was ‘on’ those nights.)

So I still like your point.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply