Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why the Mavs are Potentially Much Better Already...
(09-01-2021, 07:36 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think that is a reasonable way to look at it, but it begs the question of how many of each type is optimal?  One NSB, two 3&D’s and two scorers?  IF so, then the starting lineup has too many scorers.  Does the same apply with Brunson leading the O?  Who is the other scorer if the other three scorers started?  Or, does Brunson need more scorers around him than Luka?  But, how do you do that if THJ is starting?  If Brunson needs scoring help, then either THJ doesn’t start, Dragic is coming or we aren’t platooning lineups.

Good questions. I'm not sure they are suited to once-size-fits-all answers, as you may be implying. 

I suppose one could argue that you can't have too many scorers on the court, with the limitations being imposed mostly by what they can do on the defensive end. 

I think you pretty much have to have at least two scorers at a time, even (especially?) when one of them is JB. I think they could work the lineups so that JB always shares the court with at least one of Luka, KP, or THJ -- didn't they try to make that work during the season? If they have to have a unit with only one guy who can create his shot on the court, I would almost put Luka out there for a few minutes with DP/WCS and three shooters, as opposed to taking that chance with JB in an important game. 

This sort of exercise does put into sharp relief, though, the need for another scorer who can run the offense/make plays, even if only for 15-20 mpg if necessary. Depending on the opponent, I think it is quite risky to depend only on Luka and JB, who just fades into the background against certain types of opponents.  Maybe Burke/Terry can serve in a pinch during the regular season, but don't they just HAVE to get another guy for that role before the playoffs?
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the Mavs are Potentially Much Better Already... - by mavsluvr - 09-01-2021, 08:47 PM