Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why the Mavs are Potentially Much Better Already...
The Best Closing Lineups

The Smoking Cuban takes a look at the Mavs' possible best closing units, depending on what Kidd is looking for in any particular game. 

Luka and KP figure in all the lineups, with the other three positions varying situationally

5.  Clutch Free Throws

THJ-Bullock-Maxi

Except for Luka, all the players on the floor are 80%+ free-throw shooters. 

4. Multiple Ball-Handlers

Brunson-THJ-DFS

Good against teams that are double-teaming Luka. Or when the Mavs are playing from behind. 

3.  Defense First

Bullock-DFS-Maxi

Suitable for protecting a lead. Four shooters and three switchable defenders, with KP for rim protection and Luka to run the offense, with KP as his pick-and-roll partner. 

2.  Big Lineup

THJ-DFS-Maxi

Useful against teams playing two big guys. Although this lineup is a little light on rebounding, it provides size without sacrificing offense. THJ gets the nod over Reggie, due to his shot creation, but Bullock could be substituted if a more defense-oriented unit is desired. 

1.  Go-To Lineup

THJ-Bullock-DFS

High-skill lineup. THJ on the floor as the team's third-best scorer, who can create his own shot. Reggie and Doe-doe as the best perimeter defenders. This might also be the usual starting unit. 

"Big" options -- WCS, Powell, Maxi, and DFS are all choices for the second big next to KP, as the situation may require.  

Last season runback -- The Mavs who played the most clutch minutes last season were, in order -Luka, DFS, THJ, JR, and Brunson. Stick Reggie in for JR and put KP on the pine? [JK]

https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/dallas...ng-lineups

Any better ideas?

Reviewing it myself, I think it's good that Kidd will have these mix-and-match options, but they're counting on KP for an awful lot on both ends. Chief rim protector? Luka's chief PNR partner? Mmm. I don't know. I just don't know.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • DallasBasketball
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the Mavs are Potentially Much Better Already... - by mavsluvr - 08-31-2021, 06:30 PM