Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why the Mavs are Potentially Much Better Already...
(08-25-2021, 03:09 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 1) The on-court situation is only FIVE players at a time (while TEN sit on the bench and are off-court). The on-court situation last year involved 1790 minutes of JR and 1671 minutes of no-JR. This year there will be ZERO minutes of JR. Hence the on-court situation WILL be different. To say it is the same, makes absolutely no sense. And like I have been saying the on-court situation was REALLY good when JR was not one of the five. You continue to ignore this fact.

2) The Mavs traded for JR hoping he would be the answer at guard next to Luka. They INVESTED in him. They tried that investment out and as the minutes piled up they started to realize that basically every variation with JR wasn't working. It eventually got to the point where RC cut his minutes drastically. Even with a lesser role his team impact wasn't improving. But the Mavs didn't "really" have a choice to just bench him. They had an obligation to Duffy (his agent, same as Luka's) to try to salvage the situation. The Mavs had to preserve relationships as best they could, because they arent' playing NBA2K. 

3) I am not "straining" at all. I am simply presenting concrete data. You have presented no concrete data and it seems you are "straining" to ignore what the data is suggesting about the possible impact of removing JR from all lineups next year.

Thanks, Kamm, I think we're just repeating ourselves at this point. 

Point of View A:  A team is already much better as an on-court matter solely as a result of dropping players in favor of space. (The Cult of Cuban.) 

Point of View B: Clearing out players does not by itself make a team better as an on-court matter. Replacing the talent with upgraded/better-fitting talent is required to improve the team. 

I think that more or less summarizes our differences. It seems to me that it serves a purpose to have these sorts of discussions, even if they don't lead to an agreement, as they tend to result in the exposition and clarification of the varying philosophies. Thanks for playing!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the Mavs are Potentially Much Better Already... - by mavsluvr - 08-25-2021, 03:23 PM