Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why the Mavs are Potentially Much Better Already...
There was also that quote on twitter from Cuban last year defending how elite the Luka and KP pick-and-roll was, but then we almost never saw it in action in the games. So weird.
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 07:11 AM)omahen Wrote: I don't agree with this one. When KP has "half a step" advantage he can utilize his length and mobility. His PnR with Luka was good. His problem regarding inability to punish smaller player is coming from situations where previous action didn't make that half a step advantage.

Ok, but the whole reason to switch is to take that half step away. Sure, it's not always successful, and KP COULD still try to create that advantage, but that's WHY teams started switching against Dallas so much, because:

A) they knew Dallas was almost entirely built on pick and roll
B) they watched Powell kill the league for almost an entire year rolling
C) they know Porzingis can't punish them for switching
D) Luka probably WILL punish the big, but at least that's a 25 ft step back most of the time. 

That's the way I see it.

(09-01-2021, 07:27 AM)Kammrath Wrote: 100% THIS. That facet of Maxi's game disappearing last year was bizarre and inexplicable to me.

Same problem with Kleber, imo. Only HE doesn't make the max money that comes with "well, we need a counter to this strategy then" like KP does.
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 07:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote: There was also that quote on twitter from Cuban last year defending how elite the Luka and KP pick-and-roll was, but then we almost never saw it in action in the games. So weird.

Because it is easy to take away the KP-Luka pick and roll. Put a wing/guard on KP. Switch. That´s what most teams did. Which brings us back to the KP vs the mismatch debate. If he could punish smaller defenders teams wouldn´t be able to switch as easily.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 11:38 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Because it is easy to take away the KP-Luka pick and roll. Put a wing/guard on KP. Switch. That´s what most teams did. Which brings us back to the KP vs the mismatch debate. If he could punish smaller defenders teams wouldn´t be able to switch as easily.

When I think of KP rolling most effectively, it is as a lob threat. Yet I don't see the Mavs trying that often. Even if the D switches the pick and roll, we have seen how DP and many others can still take advantage of this with the lob threat. DP isn't a post up threat against a smaller player, yet he is really effective in the pick and roll. I know KP doesn't set good screens and take angles well, but I don't understand why he is not being actively trained to BE this kind of pick and roll lob threat. He has the length and athleticism for it. And it is great when it occasionally surfaces. But why not more?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Dameris and Followill Updates 9/1

THJ. Biggest positive takeaway from the player introduction conference was how warm and sincere Timmy was. After a difficult first season here, he really warmed up to the place. Badly wanted to stay here, and instructed his agent to make it a priority to get a deal done if one was available. Very committed. 

Bullock. Dameris expects him to start. Thinks he may replace DFS role in guarding the opponent’s best wing, and that he might also be able to offer a little playmaking. 

Green. In retrospect, were a little disappointed in his choice to play for Australia, and then not playing in summer league. Referring to a statistical study indicating that players who participate in summer league after their first season are more likely to have breakout sophomore seasons, thought it was a squandered opportunity (given that he played a grand total of 15 minutes for his national team). MF somewhat pompously declared that, "as an Olympic broadcaster," he could understand the un-replaceable memory the experience of winning a bronze would be, even for the guys who don't play much, drawing a little incoming from Dameris, lol. In any event, not a huge issue. 

Dameris hopes to see Green play around 15 minutes a night this season and appear in most every game. MF thinks 40-50 games as a high-energy, hard-playing contributor might be more realistic. If he doesn't get traded for Dragic or someone else, anyway.

Hinton waived. Great character guy, but didn't show enough improvement on the court. Quicker decision than expected. They didn't have a name in mind on waiving him. The guy taking the second two-way spot may or may not be on the training camp roster.

Mavs sitting on hands? It may seem like nothing much is going on, but the Mavs are spending a lot of time trying to put some structure into what has frankly been a very disorganized front office. A very thoroughgoing effort.  

Markkanen. Mavs kicked the tires on him, but weren't really very interested, given the price. Acquiring him would have been more of an intriguing asset play than an attempt to improve the team, and BD and MF agree that the price was just too high, considering the salary, length of contract, first-round pick required, and lack of on-court fit.  

Other NBA players 

Marc Gasol is available. Don't know if Mavs are interested, but if they are, it would probably be in return for Moses Brown. Gasol doesn't appear to have much left in the tank, but he’s open to leaving, and the Mavs have shown an interest in the past

Ben Simmons intends to be a training-camp holdout. Dameris, who knows Morey, thinks he will probably have to come down a little on his price to make a deal -- maybe, for example, CJ instead of Dame. Ben purports to only be interested in the CA teams for now, so good luck to him with that. Mavs could possibly try to get involved as a third team or in some other tangential manner if a deal develops. 

Training Camp. Only a few weeks away!

Update: noting the signing of the second two-way, who played on GSW SL team

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...71334?s=20
[-] The following 2 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • HIMAV, Kammrath
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 03:40 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Bullock. Dameris expects him to start.

AMEN.

(09-01-2021, 03:40 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Dameris hopes to see Green play around 15 minutes a night this season and appear in most every game.

This needs to be the goal. He needs to be developed or traded IMO.

(09-01-2021, 03:40 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Mavs are spending a lot of time trying to put some structure into what has frankly been a very disorganized front office. A very thoroughgoing effort. 

HALLELUJAH!

(09-01-2021, 03:40 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Ben Simmons intends to be a training-camp holdout. Dameris, who knows Morey, thinks he will probably have to come down a little on his price to make a deal -- maybe, for example, CJ instead of Dame. Ben purports to only interested be in the CA teams for now, so good luck to him with that. Mavs could possibly try to get involved as a third team or in some other tangential manner if a deal develops. 

McCullom has long seemed like the eventual Simmons trade target to me.
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 03:40 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: MF somewhat pompously declared that, "as an Olympic broadcaster,"...

Bro, don't be so hard on yourself! Starting from a Ticket Ticker guy and ascending all the way to OLYMPIC BROADCASTER, with some basketball and soccer mixed in as well, is worth feeling good about. Go ahead and be as pompous as you want!

(09-01-2021, 04:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: AMEN

Yes, sir! Bullock and DFS starting together is the way to go!
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 05:07 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Bro, don't be so hard on yourself! Starting from a Ticket Ticker guy and ascending all the way to OLYMPIC BROADCASTER, with some basketball and soccer mixed in as well, is worth feeling good about. Go ahead and be as pompous as you want!

Well, a guy needs to be able to laugh at himself, don't you think, lol?

Yes, sir! Bullock and DFS starting together is the way to go!
Iirc, Dameris mentioned that he didn't expect Bullock to replace THJ in the starting lineup. 

You think maybe Luka-THJ-Bullock-DFS-KP?
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 05:13 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: You think maybe Luka-THJ-Bullock-DFS-KP?

Yeah, that's what I prefer, but my post was mostly in defiance of what the presence of all three of Maxi, DP and WCS on the roster means. Surely one of those three starts, or one is completely out of the rotation, which I doubt is the case. And I don't think THJ should come off the bench. 

So....

@"mavsluvr", having said that, I think all of THJ, DFS and Bullock are headed for starter (or close to it) minutes.
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 12:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: When I think of KP rolling most effectively, it is as a lob threat. Yet I don't see the Mavs trying that often. Even if the D switches the pick and roll, we have seen how DP and many others can still take advantage of this with the lob threat. DP isn't a post up threat against a smaller player, yet he is really effective in the pick and roll. I know KP doesn't set good screens and take angles well, but I don't understand why he is not being actively trained to BE this kind of pick and roll lob threat. He has the length and athleticism for it. And it is great when it occasionally surfaces. But why not more?
This topic has always needed more attention. Luka-KP PnR/PnP two man game should be a regular way we score. Only reason i see why KP doesn’t roll more is injury concerns? It’s never made sense

Edit: it’s also why the post about starting a center next to KP is right. DP/WCS/Brown one will need to be on the court most of the season to save KP and Maxi’s bodies from screens and tough dirty work. But also for a roll man, which Luka needs to be available on the regular
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 05:19 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Yeah, that's what I prefer, but my post was mostly in defiance of what the presence of all three of Maxi, DP and WCS on the roster means. Surely one of those three starts, or one is completely out of the rotation, which I doubt is the case. And I don't think THJ should come off the bench. 

So....

@"mavsluvr", having said that, I think all of THJ, DFS and Bullock are headed for starter (or close to it) minutes.
Yes, I can see that. In trying to mix and match, I tend to group these guys by function into 3&D guys (Bullock, DFS, Maxi), non-shooting bigs (DP, WCS, Boban), and scorers (LD, KP, THJ, JB). 

Of course, there are other ways to look at it, and I don't know how the Mavs see it shaking out. It tends not to categorize a guy like Josh Green, for example, who doesn't fit into any of those pockets.
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 07:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Yes, I can see that. In trying to mix and match, I tend to group these guys by function into 3&D guys (Bullock, DFS, Maxi), non-shooting bigs (DP, WCS, Boban), and scorers (LD, KP, THJ, JB). 

Of course, there are other ways to look at it, and I don't know how the Mavs see it shaking out. It tends not to categorize a guy like Josh Green, for example, who doesn't fit into any of those pockets.

I think that is a reasonable way to look at it, but it begs the question of how many of each type is optimal?  One NSB, two 3&D’s and two scorers?  IF so, then the starting lineup has too many scorers.  Does the same apply with Brunson leading the O?  Who is the other scorer if the other three scorers started?  Or, does Brunson need more scorers around him than Luka?  But, how do you do that if THJ is starting?  If Brunson needs scoring help, then either THJ doesn’t start, Dragic is coming or we aren’t platooning lineups.
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 05:13 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: You think maybe Luka-THJ-Bullock-DFS-KP?

This is what I'd try first, probably. 

But, if we accept Bullock as a starter as a given, I suppose Lua/THJ/Bullock/Kleber/KP is also a strong possibility. Even Powell in place of Kleber, for that matter, though I think that's less likely than the other two.
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 07:36 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think that is a reasonable way to look at it, but it begs the question of how many of each type is optimal?  One NSB, two 3&D’s and two scorers?  IF so, then the starting lineup has too many scorers.  Does the same apply with Brunson leading the O?  Who is the other scorer if the other three scorers started?  Or, does Brunson need more scorers around him than Luka?  But, how do you do that if THJ is starting?  If Brunson needs scoring help, then either THJ doesn’t start, Dragic is coming or we aren’t platooning lineups.

Good questions. I'm not sure they are suited to once-size-fits-all answers, as you may be implying. 

I suppose one could argue that you can't have too many scorers on the court, with the limitations being imposed mostly by what they can do on the defensive end. 

I think you pretty much have to have at least two scorers at a time, even (especially?) when one of them is JB. I think they could work the lineups so that JB always shares the court with at least one of Luka, KP, or THJ -- didn't they try to make that work during the season? If they have to have a unit with only one guy who can create his shot on the court, I would almost put Luka out there for a few minutes with DP/WCS and three shooters, as opposed to taking that chance with JB in an important game. 

This sort of exercise does put into sharp relief, though, the need for another scorer who can run the offense/make plays, even if only for 15-20 mpg if necessary. Depending on the opponent, I think it is quite risky to depend only on Luka and JB, who just fades into the background against certain types of opponents.  Maybe Burke/Terry can serve in a pinch during the regular season, but don't they just HAVE to get another guy for that role before the playoffs?
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 07:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is what I'd try first, probably. 

But, if we accept Bullock as a starter as a given, I suppose Lua/THJ/Bullock/Kleber/KP is also a strong possibility. Even Powell in place of Kleber, for that matter, though I think that's less likely than the other two.

I could see that. We could see Bullock end up cutting into some of Maxi's minutes, especially if Maxi continues to reach a point of diminishing returns after 20 or so minutes. I think Powell is an option too, especially if they're using KP to stretch the floor. 

I don't know that it is necessarily a given that Bullock will start. I could see him getting some significant minutes backing up two or more of the starting positions. 

Should be interesting, in any case.
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 08:47 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:  

I think you pretty much have to have at least two scorers at a time, even (especially?) when one of them is JB. I think they could work the lineups so that JB always shares the court with at least one of Luka, KP, or THJ -- didn't they try to make that work during the season?

If they have to have a unit with only one guy who can create his shot on the court, I would almost put Luka out there for a few minutes with DP/WCS and three shooters, as opposed to taking that chance with JB in an important game. 

More on rotations used last season when I have more time.  Until then, new piece from Tim Cato.  He thinks KP, Luka, THJ and DFS are locks to start (part one).  In this pieces, he looks at fifth starter (he likes Bullock, but thinks the job will be split based on matchup between Powell and Bullock with Maxi getting occasional starts against very specific matchups).

He then goes into the rest of the "rotation" which he defines as Brunson, Sterling B. and Green.  Note, he's high on Brown getting regular minutes and not on Willie (I guess the why will come in part three).

https://theathletic.com/2790178/2021/09/...osh-green/
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(09-02-2021, 01:54 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: More on rotations used last season when I have more time.  Until then, new piece from Tim Cato.  He thinks KP, Luka, THJ and DFS are locks to start (part one).  In this pieces, he looks at fifth starter (he likes Bullock, but thinks the job will be split based on matchup between Powell and Bullock with Maxi getting occasional starts against very specific matchups).

He then goes into the rest of the "rotation" which he defines as Brunson, Sterling B. and Green.  Note, he's high on Brown getting regular minutes and not on Willie (I guess the why will come in part three).

Very interesting. Will summarize below.
Like Reply
Rotation Players 5-10

Tim Cato takes the point of view, as Dan mentions above, that Luka, KP, THJ, and DFS will be locks to start in most situations. He analyzes the next 6 players in this piece. 

5.  Reggie

Cato's preference for the fifth starter in most situations. Fits well in any system. 

Is not a game-changer on defense in the sense of striking terror into the opponent's heart and forcing them to change their game plan. However, is competent or better at the full range of defensive skills. Starts losing his defensive effectiveness defending bigger players, but that's not such a problem when DFS can move to the 4 if necessary. 

Offensively, contributes almost exclusively by hitting stand-still threes. Not a shot creator, but capable of hitting contested shots. Will probably be the third-best spot-up shooter on the roster.

6. Diamond

May alternate with Reggie as the fifth starter, particularly against teams with large fours. 

It's less about Powell's talent than his fit with the roster. He is not a good defender or rebounder, and doesn't shoot threes well. But he is a good screener and rim-runner, possessing skills that fit very well with Luka's game. He also has a decent defensive track record against big fours. 

Cato likes him in a 12-15 minute starting role in situational matchups. 

7.  Maxi 

Maxi's defense fell off noticeably last season, which may have been due to a bout with COVID and a collection of minor injuries. Offensively, he shot 41% from three, but he had only 4 attempts per game, and teams largely were content not to guard him. Meaning that his only offensive contribution was the points he actually scored -- he wasn't providing more space for Luka and co. 

If Maxi can fully recover, protect the rim, throw down lobs, and otherwise return to his healthy self, he could be a candidate to start again.

Tim looks for Maxi to mostly come off the bench when the other guys are available. 

8.  Brunson

Jalen was great in the regular season, but was played off the floor in the playoffs, unable to create space against the Clippers' tall, switchable defenders. He has improved his skills greatly, and can't help the fact that he is small and doesn't possess a high degree of athleticism. But his lack of elite shot creation means he can't be relied on in the playoffs for a major role. 

The Mavs need another player to fill the role of "good shot creator." If they do, then maybe Brunson's good attributes would receive more focus than what he can't provide. 

9-10. Sterling Brown, Josh Green

Brown shoots well, and has some ability to create his own shot. Also good in transition and a "scoundrel" on defense. Not a secondary shot creator by any means, but would be nice to have a wing besides THJ who can at least do something in that area. Cato sees Brown as a candidate for an every-night rotation player. 

Green's utility will depend on whether he can develop a three-point shot. He doesn't score well enough in other ways, and doesn't defend well enough, to be a negative floor-spacer. 

[In another recent article, Tyler Watts of The Smoking Cuban projects Brown and Green to be in competition for a spot, with one or the other possibly becoming a trade chip.] 

[-] The following 2 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • fifteenth, Jmaciscool
Like Reply
Just want to express my appreciation for RB and the workhorse he has been for this team. Really has been an unsung hero in this great season.

[Image: usa_today_17323099.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • Arioch, Hypermav, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
In the first 34 games of the season the Mavs were 16-18 and RB shot 27.4% from three.

In the last 48 games of the season the Mavs were 36-12 and RB shot 39.6% from three.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply