Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why the Mavs are Potentially Much Better Already...
(08-28-2021, 09:19 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I can see that being the case knowing he’s 6’6” as opposed to 6’5”. That extra inch does make a bit of difference when guarding 6’7-9” players. His weight is the same as THJ’s (205), but if he plays with more force (like say a Tucker type) then that shouldn’t make a big difference, although he gives up 15 lbs to DFS who we saw couldn’t handle those bigger wings.

Good observation on weight. It does lead to some pause. If we compare weight and height to Richardson, Bullock adds 1 inch and 5 extra lbs. 

Luckily he also adds significant 3 point shooting.

Also good thing the game is not played on paper.  Wink
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
(08-27-2021, 01:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I am unfamiliar with Tyler Watts, but this seems like an extremely unbiased, right-down-the-middle take on it all to me.

Yes, I thought it was a very clear-eyed summary of the situation. 

Really brought it home on how all-in Mavs have gone as far as relying on KP as their primary source of improvement.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-28-2021, 04:35 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Really brought it home on how all-in Mavs have gone as far as relying on KP as their primary source of improvement.

Not really much of a choice if they're not willing to accept the current market value for him, I suppose.
Like Reply
(08-30-2021, 09:28 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not really much of a choice if they're not willing to accept the current market value for him, I suppose.

It seems like the choices would be 1. trade him asap, 2. try to help him play better to make the team better, 3. try to help him play better to rehab his trade value. 

Choices 2 and 3 would look identical at his point, I think. And I think if I was in charge I'd pick 3 if I wanted to trade him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bballbreakdown/statu...4664686596
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Hypermav
Like Reply
(08-31-2021, 11:01 AM)fifteenth Wrote: It seems like the choices would be 1. trade him asap, 2. try to help him play better to make the team better, 3. try to help him play better to rehab his trade value. 

Choices 2 and 3 would look identical at his point, I think. And I think if I was in charge I'd pick 3 if I wanted to trade him.

Yeah. I think they are giving it another season to desperately try to make it work (Option 2), a decision that I suspect was made before Nico/Kidd ever got here. I guess Option 2 turning into Option 3 may be Plan B.
Like Reply
(08-31-2021, 12:45 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Yeah. I think they are giving it another season to desperately try to make it work (Option 2), a decision that I suspect was made before Nico/Kidd ever got here. I guess Option 2 turning into Option 3 may be Plan B.

Cuban hater!
Like Reply
(08-31-2021, 12:52 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Cuban hater!

LOL, oh, Lawdy. 

Believe it or not, I don't see myself as a hater. Even if I were inclined in that direction, I don't have enough energy to devote any of my limited supply to hating. As it happens, objective or even just slightly rosy evaluation can be interpreted as hate on a fan board. I get that!
Like Reply
(08-31-2021, 01:11 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: LOL, oh, Lawdy. 

Believe it or not, I don't see myself as a hater. Even if I were inclined in that direction, I don't have enough energy to devote any of my limited supply to hating. As it happens, objective or even just slightly rosy evaluation can be interpreted as hate on a fan board. I get that!

You don't have to defend yourself against my silliness  :-)
Like Reply
(08-31-2021, 02:16 PM)fifteenth Wrote: You don't have to defend yourself against my silliness  :-)

I know, fifteenth. You are our Voice of Reason and Gentle Humorist. "Attacks" from you always consist of nerf balls, not bullets. I'm fair game, as much as anybody (not that you need my permission, lol). As your fans faithfully say, keep on keeping on!
Like Reply
The Best Closing Lineups

The Smoking Cuban takes a look at the Mavs' possible best closing units, depending on what Kidd is looking for in any particular game. 

Luka and KP figure in all the lineups, with the other three positions varying situationally

5.  Clutch Free Throws

THJ-Bullock-Maxi

Except for Luka, all the players on the floor are 80%+ free-throw shooters. 

4. Multiple Ball-Handlers

Brunson-THJ-DFS

Good against teams that are double-teaming Luka. Or when the Mavs are playing from behind. 

3.  Defense First

Bullock-DFS-Maxi

Suitable for protecting a lead. Four shooters and three switchable defenders, with KP for rim protection and Luka to run the offense, with KP as his pick-and-roll partner. 

2.  Big Lineup

THJ-DFS-Maxi

Useful against teams playing two big guys. Although this lineup is a little light on rebounding, it provides size without sacrificing offense. THJ gets the nod over Reggie, due to his shot creation, but Bullock could be substituted if a more defense-oriented unit is desired. 

1.  Go-To Lineup

THJ-Bullock-DFS

High-skill lineup. THJ on the floor as the team's third-best scorer, who can create his own shot. Reggie and Doe-doe as the best perimeter defenders. This might also be the usual starting unit. 

"Big" options -- WCS, Powell, Maxi, and DFS are all choices for the second big next to KP, as the situation may require.  

Last season runback -- The Mavs who played the most clutch minutes last season were, in order -Luka, DFS, THJ, JR, and Brunson. Stick Reggie in for JR and put KP on the pine? [JK]

https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/dallas...ng-lineups

Any better ideas?

Reviewing it myself, I think it's good that Kidd will have these mix-and-match options, but they're counting on KP for an awful lot on both ends. Chief rim protector? Luka's chief PNR partner? Mmm. I don't know. I just don't know.
  • DallasBasketball
Like Reply
(08-31-2021, 06:30 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: they're counting on KP for an awful lot on both ends. Chief rim protector? Luka's chief PNR partner? Mmm. I don't know. I just don't know.

Is it possible that a healthy KP will just naturally be those things again? I realize we just came off a season of major regression in those areas (especially defense)/(less pick n roll may have been a strategy) but KP’s ongoing health challenge could have played a role in what Carlisle was asking of him in the game plan(offensively).
Thank you Donnie.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasBasketball's post:
  • mavsluvr
Like Reply
(08-31-2021, 09:09 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: Is it possible that a healthy KP will just naturally be those things again? I realize we just came off a season of major regression in those areas (especially defense)/(less pick n roll may have been a strategy) but KP’s ongoing health challenge could have played a role in what Carlisle was asking of him in the game plan(offensively).

That could be. I think that his health naturally producing a strong improvement is certainly the desired outcome. 

Particularly on the defensive end. If he could re-acquire his mobility, he might be a good rim protector again, for example. 

I don't know if PNR is totally a question of his health, although that is probably a factor. I remember reading/hearing some stuff about strategies being determined more than most fans realize by what the stars do/don't want to do, and that KP preferred not to roll. FWIW.
Like Reply
(08-31-2021, 10:03 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I don't know if PNR is totally a question of his health, although that is probably a factor. I remember reading/hearing some stuff about strategies being determined more than most fans realize by what the stars do/don't want to do, and that KP preferred not to roll. FWIW.

Direct quote from KP on why he wanted to play center in DAL under RC:

“When I’m at the (power forward position) I only have the option to pop, and when I’m at the (center position) I can pick-and-pop and roll. So I can mix it up and just be more involved.”

This is why I have speculated that him not rolling was a result of medical staff not wanting him to or RC not wanting to use him that way. Kidd will immediately endear himself to me if we see KP rolling much more frequently.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • fifteenth, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(08-31-2021, 10:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Direct quote from KP on why he wanted to play center in DAL under RC:

“When I’m at the (power forward position) I only have the option to pop, and when I’m at the (center position) I can pick-and-pop and roll. So I can mix it up and just be more involved.”

This is why I have speculated that him not rolling was a result of medical staff not wanting him to or RC not wanting to use him that way. Kidd will immediately endear himself to me if we see KP rolling much more frequently.

I have speculated that he is at more risk of getting hurt going to the basket than popping, and he might be worried about it, consciously or not. 

I don't know if KP rolling will turn out to be a mainstay of the offense, but I will be surprised if they don't at least give it a try. Hope it works out!
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 12:05 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I have speculated that he is at more risk of getting hurt going to the basket than popping, and he might be worried about it, consciously or not. 

I don't know if KP rolling will turn out to be a mainstay of the offense, but I will be surprised if they don't at least give it a try. Hope it works out!

If it would be only KP, then I would consider health as likely cause. But Mavs also stopped all Kleber PnR - Kleber was great with Luka in first two seasons. So I think the reason is something else and I have no idea what.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(08-31-2021, 10:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: “When I’m at the (power forward position) I only have the option to pop, and when I’m at the (center position) I can pick-and-pop and roll. So I can mix it up and just be more involved.”

I don't think it's nuts to wonder if the coach had something to do with this, because it's bizarre, but I don't believe that it was his choice for KP to be so worthless. The quote above indicates options, and KP did play the 5 last season, mostly. We know they don't run a lot of plays. 

I think we know (mostly) that KP's inability to punish a smaller player on a switch is why he couldn't roll much. On switches, the possessions slow down and could end with post ups (yuck). Instead, we saw Luka consistently try to take the opposing big off of the dribble, which I think most will agree is a better plan for the Mavs than posting KP most of the time.
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 06:53 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think we know (mostly) that KP's inability to punish a smaller player on a switch is why he couldn't roll much.

I don't agree with this one. When KP has "half a step" advantage he can utilize his length and mobility. His PnR with Luka was good. His problem regarding inability to punish smaller player is coming from situations where previous action didn't make that half a step advantage.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • Kammrath, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 01:53 AM)omahen Wrote: But Mavs also stopped all Kleber PnR - Kleber was great with Luka in first two seasons. So I think the reason is something else and I have no idea what.

100% THIS. That facet of Maxi's game disappearing last year was bizarre and inexplicable to me.
Like Reply
(09-01-2021, 07:11 AM)omahen Wrote: I don't agree with this one. When KP has "half a step" advantage he can utilize his length and mobility. His PnR with Luka was good. His problem regarding inability to punish smaller player is coming from situations where previous action didn't make that half a step advantage.

Right with you on this as well.
Like Reply