Poll: How do you grade this signing?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
"A" - Bargain deal on a great player!
4.00%
2 4.00%
"B" - Good deal. This is what you have to pay for great shooters.
54.00%
27 54.00%
"C" - Slight overpay, but the fit and player are good.
28.00%
14 28.00%
"D" - There were better players and options, but the contract will be fine.
12.00%
6 12.00%
"F" - Big overpay on a terrible player!
2.00%
1 2.00%
Total 50 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
FA: Reggie Bullock to DAL for 3 yrs/$30.5M (using MLE)
(08-02-2021, 10:05 PM)Mavs03 Wrote: I'm curious.  Would you rather have Seth Curry at 4 years 32 million or Reggie Bullock at 3 years 30 million, Moses Brown, and Tyler Bey (I'm assuming he remains on the roster)?

Curry will be 31 in a few weeks.  Bullock will be 31 in March 2022.  Bullock to me is more of a 2 way player.  One would think Curry is the much better shooter, but Bullock isn't bad.  He is a remarkably good 3 point and FT shooter.

I'm ok with Bullock, Sterling Brown, resigning THJ and Boban.  I like the trade for Moses Brown.  If Bullock comes here via the trade exception and we have the full MLE at our disposal with the ability to trade picks again (by lifting the protections of the 2023 pick), I would be ecstatic.

Not sure, really. It's a good point, but to answer the question I'd have to see if Bullock's defense is anywhere close to what's being claimed tonight. If so, then I'd rather have him. 

Curry was NOT a difference maker here, although he was a good asset on a GREAT contract and I sure wish they'd have done better with it than Josh Richardson.
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Agreed. A clear vision seems to be in place....except when you look at the center position. I think something is still coming down the pipe, even if it is just Powell for Dragic (who shot 37% from three).....

.....AND I don't get where KP fits in the vision unless he is just a spot up three point shooter OR he freaking learns to play the pick and roll. 

DREAM scenario is KP learning to the pick and roll well with Luka and then surrounding them with shooters who will play some D.
I don't think there's any mystery here. KP was traded for before it became obvious how to build around Luka, followed up by KP being a massive disappointment. KP doesn't fit, but the Mavs have no choice but to try and make him fit since he's currently untradeable and they're paying him $30 million a year.
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not sure, really. It's a good point, but to answer the question I'd have to see if Bullock's defense is anywhere close to what's being claimed tonight. If so, then I'd rather have him. 

Curry was NOT a difference maker here, although he was a good asset on a GREAT contract and I sure wish they'd have done better with it than Josh Richardson.

His numbers are going to be an outlier playing on a Thibs team but he'll be a better defender than Curry by default.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:07 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: They've told you that too, but you hate KP so mucha nd want him traded so bad you are in denial.  They think it was health, they expect his defense and mobility back when he's healthy and they expect him protecting the rim, while opening the lanes for Luka to drive because people guard him, for some reason, like he shoots well, which he does.

Kamm, dude, you have to out the bias aside.  Sometimes, a pen is just a pen, and as much as you want Kidd, Nico and all to be lying to everyone to try to sell KP...they may just be telling the truth, and that's their plan because they believe that's the smart thing to do to win...whether Mavsboard likes it or not.  They are the ones that have to produce to keep their jobs.

1) I do NOT hate KP. I do want KP traded because his on court chemistry with Luka sucks and they do not get the most out of each other.

2) Kidd and Nico have NEVER suggested putting KP in the pick and roll with Luka as their main goal (if they have please point me to the source).

3) They have suggested KP's health will make a difference. I think KP's MENTAL health (with RC gone) will make a difference and have said so repeatedly.

4) I have NOT been pushing a narrative that Kidd and Nico are lying about wanting KP. I have suggested they COULD be lying, but they just as easily could be telling the truth. You cannot trust GMs in front of a camera.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Honestly, as good as Curry was, we saw why he got traded from the Mavs.  In the playoffs, he was great on O, but he was putrid on D and got picked on a lot in the playoffs.  In fairness, that is my eye test in watching him, and I like Seth, but I don't have a number to back that up that opinion.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not sure, really. It's a good point, but to answer the question I'd have to see if Bullock's defense is anywhere close to what's being claimed tonight. If so, then I'd rather have him. 

If the Mavs really take Bullock into the TE, then it's basically a Curry-for-Bullock trade.
Like Reply
Reggie at 3 for 30 really isn't that bad. I was seeing fans of other teams thinking anything under 15 a year for him was a bargain.

Noel got 3 for 32. Olynyk got 3 for 37. McDermott got 3 for 42. Gary Trent Jr. got 3 for 54.
[-] The following 3 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • Jommybone, SleepingHero, Tyler
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:15 PM)Branduil Wrote: If the Mavs really take Bullock into the TE, then it's basically a Curry-for-Bullock trade.

Right, and even if I decide I like Bullock more on this team (very possible) I still don't think it will be worth wasting that asset (Curry's contract was amazeballs) on the year Richardson just had here and now Bullock. That's what I'm saying.
Like Reply
Tried to enjoy the board a couple hours ago and it was unreadable and toxic.  Huge thanks to all the folks who came and saved the board for the last couple of pages!!
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • Jommybone, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I dont mind the Bullock signing, but Luka has no number 2 player to carry the load. Its going to be more the same night in and night out where Luka has the carry the team because THJ will drop 25 one night, and then go 1-7 the next game from 3 and drop 8 points.

If KP doesnt improve with a healthy off-season + a coaching change, this team is a play in seed at best

Lakers,Clippers,Nuggets,Jazz,Suns,Warriors are the top 6 teams in the west

This team did very little to improve the team so far, we swapped J Rich for Bullock and lost Nico + Redick for Sterling Brown

They better do something with trades because this is terrible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dova's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:25 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Tried to enjoy the board a couple hours ago and it was unreadable and toxic.  Huge thanks to all the folks who came and saved the board for the last couple of pages!!

Tough luck. What a great community. If things don´t go as planned we just lower the expectations. And act like everything is fine. But when the shit hits the fan in the regular season or in the first round of the playoffs everyone is crying that Luka needs more help and the roster is terrible.
Negative posts aren´t the bad part. People changing their opinion each day is way worse. As @"Mavs2021"  pointed out. Cannot have a honest debate that way. One week ago free agency was a failure if the Mavs cannot add another starter and playmaker next to Luka (mind you that they can still do it via trade) and all of a sudden everything is fine even though they haven´t been able to add another legit top 5 rotation player.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:30 PM)Dova Wrote: I dont mind the Bullock signing, but Luka has no number 2 player to carry the load. Its going to be more the same night in and night out where Luka has the scary the team because THJ will drop 25 one night, and then go 1-7 the next game from 3 and drop 8 points.

If KP doesnt improve with a healthy off-season + a coaching change, this team is a play in seed at best

This team did very little to improve the team so far, we swapped J Rich for Bullock and lost Nico + Redick for Sterling Brown

Well said. All the hate seems to be about the assumption that the Mavs have wasted their opportunity to do more. The actual moves aren’t disappointing in themselves. 

Personally, I am excited about both Bullock and Brown. But I will find the offseason hugely disappointing if there’s nothing better in addition. Our trade assets (whoever and whatever they may be) and the Josh exception have potential to accomplish much more. I’m hopeful.
Like Reply
I see the conversation here assumes the Mavs will acquire Bullock with the TPE.

I have my doubts. To me, that looks like the MLE, and also there's no indication a trade for Bullock has been discussed.

There's still plenty of opportunity to pivot to a TPE move, if one is needed. But I don't see any reason to think that's their current plan.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:30 PM)Dova Wrote: I dont mind the Bullock signing, but Luka has no number 2 player to carry the load.

The sad truth that I came to grips with after the bubble playoffs and have been screaming ever since is that either

A) KP needs to live up to that role, or

B) He needs to be moved in a deal for or to make room for that guy. 

This was the last off-season they'll have cap room as long as KP and Luka are both here, so if he's still here when the season starts, it's a safe bet the Mavericks still believe he can be that guy, imho.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:15 PM)Branduil Wrote: If the Mavs really take Bullock into the TE, then it's basically a Curry-for-Bullock trade.

It probably is anyway...at least in terms of role.

FWIW, Bullock was the 11th rated SF in RPM (second in D-RPM)

Curry was the 8th rated SG (20th in D-RPM).  

For making that swap, we got Bey and Moses and some chance of using a TPE.

I think the issue with the JRich deal is if a player can create, defend and hit 3's, they get paid $20 million plus.  So, instead of getting two of the three (like Bullock), we tried for all three and essentially got none.
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:30 PM)Dova Wrote: I dont mind the Bullock signing, but Luka has no number 2 player to carry the load. Its going to be more the same night in and night out where Luka has the carry the team because THJ will drop 25 one night, and then go 1-7 the next game from 3 and drop 8 points.

We're banking on KP meshing better with Kidd than Carlisle. KP's contract, current low trade value, and the weak FA market left us with few options.

I wouldn't mind some sort of Powell trade to Toronto for Dragic and actually add a second playmaker too
Like Reply
"The Knicks are in a great position to re-sign Bullock with early Bird rights because he will only count for $5.46 million against their cap space regardless of the amount for which he eventually signs.

In Bullock’s case, that might not be too much higher anyway, but as a starter on a playoff team, it’s not crazy to think he’d have offers at the full midlevel exception. He’s a 31-year-old, low-usage player, so we’re not talking about any kind of upside here, but he also shot 41.0 percent from 3 last season and played solid D. I’d look for the Knicks to lock him in at two years and $15-20 million."

Hollinger "BORD$"

Didn't Nico pay +- the going rate?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1...2934094870
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1...5207695364
Like Reply
Late to the party here (as I said I would be). My first reaction to this news was "wrong Reggie," followed by, "why didn't they get at least one starter with all of their cap room?" 

This isn't bad, but I would have rather overpaid Portis (back to the Bucks for dirt cheap, by far the biggest bargain of free agency so far) than re-sign THJ. Then we would have had our starting lineup (with one glaringly remaining problem in the middle). Could have had Holmes for rather cheap as well. 

The more I think about this evening, the more I abominate the THJ re-sign. He. Is. A. Bench. Player. For. A. Luka. Led. Team. Period.

I think it's pretty terrible that we haven't gotten the final word on Dragic coming for Powell and change either. I think Ujiri is bending Nico over pretty good.
Like Reply