Poll: How do you grade this signing?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
"A" - Bargain deal on a great player!
4.00%
2 4.00%
"B" - Good deal. This is what you have to pay for great shooters.
54.00%
27 54.00%
"C" - Slight overpay, but the fit and player are good.
28.00%
14 28.00%
"D" - There were better players and options, but the contract will be fine.
12.00%
6 12.00%
"F" - Big overpay on a terrible player!
2.00%
1 2.00%
Total 50 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
FA: Reggie Bullock to DAL for 3 yrs/$30.5M (using MLE)
(08-02-2021, 09:34 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I will say the Knicks fans have a lot of nice things to say about him.    

He appears pretty limited off the dribble, but in the highlights I liked how he found the open space to make himself available to get an open look.   

Knicks fans also said he was good on defense.

https://twitter.com/NotJackKemp/status/1...0908508163

Reggie Bullock is once again a finishing move. The Mavs round out their roster like they have a championship core team.

Our 2nd best offensive player last season, THJ shot 8 of 34 in the last four play-off games. That´s under 25% from three, for four games. Statisticial for his career, the first three games were the play-off outlier, not the last four. He is a 4th best player on a contender. You can overpay for THJ and Reggie Bullock, if they are finishing moves.

Nobody can sit there and look at the talent level on this team, then look at Milwaukee, Philly, Atlanta, Phoenix, Utah, Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Warriors and think we are close to them.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, dirkfansince1998, HoosierDaddyKid, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
Btw, Knicks renegotiated his deal due to back issues. 
Is there is any information about that? Was it an old injury or an issue going forward
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 09:37 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't know how I feel about Maxi. His defense in the regular season is invaluable. 

But come playoff time he morphs into a player that cannot score if he tried and his defense regresses. I could be convinced it's time to move on from him.

I like Maxi and would prefer to keep him (I kind of want any player ever from Wurzburg to play for only the Mavs), but I think he’s a bench big that’s been asked to play above that. Get the man back to the bench where he thrives, but yeah, move on if he’s a key part of an upgrade.
[-] The following 2 users Like DrMav's post:
  • embellisher, MFFL
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 09:20 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs had no capspace. They offered him the MLE but refused to match the extra years Phoenix offered.

He came out and said Dallas offered him more money, but he saw “the chance to be a part of something special” in Phoenix.
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • TXBamanut
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1...9954688013
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft, TXBamanut
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 09:47 PM)soog Wrote: He came out and said Dallas offered him more money, but he saw “the chance to be a part of something special” in Phoenix.

And that´s not possible because a team without capspace cannot offer more than the MLE.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • embellisher, MFFL
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 09:47 PM)soog Wrote: He came out and said Dallas offered him more money, but he saw “the chance to be a part of something special” in Phoenix.

If you offer a dude more money and he goes to another team, that team better be in the NBA Finals competing for a....never mind.  #crowder #portis
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 1 user Likes TXBamanut's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply

Zach Lowe had an article about him in the playoffs.  In the article, Lowe reported Dallas has suggested interest but never submitted an offer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 09:51 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Zach Lowe had an article about him in the playoffs.  In the article, Lowe reported Dallas has suggested interest but never submitted an offer.
Sounds like the Cuban/Donnie Mavs' M.O.
Like Reply
Interesting nugget regarding Bullock's representation.  He's a client of a fairly small agency (at least in terms of basketball footprint) called Independent Sports & Entertainment (ISE).  What is interesting is their client list...as in all of the NBA players they've ever represented:

Reggie Bullock     New Mav.
Moses Brown       New Mav.
Delonte West       Ex - Mav.
Peja Stojakovic     Ex - Mav.
Andrew Bogut      Ex - Mav
Caleb Swanigan    Ex - TX Legend
Ron Artest
Drew Eubanks
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Tyler
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 09:53 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Interesting nugget regarding Bullock's representation.  He's a client of a fairly small agency (at least in terms of basketball footprint) called Independent Sports & Entertainment (ISE).  What is interesting is their client list...as in all of the NBA players they've ever represented:

Reggie Bullock     New Mav.
Moses Brown       New Mav.
Delonte West       Ex - Mav.
Peja Stojakovic     Ex - Mav.
Andrew Bogut      Ex - Mav
Caleb Swanigan    Ex - TX Legend
Ron Artest
Drew Eubanks

Mavs sign Metta World Peace to replace JJ Redick as Mavs Podcast host.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • Hypermav
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 09:49 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1...9954688013

Look, Nico is telling you what he's doing.  He's looking for wings that are great at the catch and shoot 3 and who play defense (except for Hardaway...lol).

I think they are still trying for that secondary playmaker and while they may lose out yet again, I think they are shooting for Dragic.

Them trying to outpay Milwaukee for Portis tells you that also... defensive intensity and hit the 3.  Can't blame a guy if he wants to stay with the team he just won the ring with.

They, at least, are exhibiting a consistent strategy pf player acquisition, so far, that is consistent with what Kidd has said since he got here.  Maximize Luka, get KP back up to speed, play fast, play D and shoot the 3.

You have to give them that.

PS. That is EXACTLY what half of this board has been screaming for the MBT to do since Luka got here, too. Btw.
[-] The following 5 users Like TXBamanut's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, fifteenth, Hypermav, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
It's really hard to have TOO many 3&D guys. The Mavs literally only had DFS and Maxi last year, and Maxi can really only guard forwards. If even one of those guys is hurt it obliterates our ability to play defense. Bullock should easily be an upgrade over JRich.
[-] The following 6 users Like Branduil's post:
  • embellisher, fifteenth, KillerLeft, LifeAquatic, TXBamanut, vfromlmf
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 09:51 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Zach Lowe had an article about him in the playoffs.  In the article, Lowe reported Dallas has suggested interest but never submitted an offer.

No offense to Zach Lowe, but he's a reporter (reliable, but not infallible), and he has to get his info from aomeone about the offer.  

Crowder is the actual player who gets the offer.

In light of that, I'm going with Crowder over Lowe on what offer Crowder got or didn't get, unless there is some hard evidence that Crowder is lying or senile.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TXBamanut's post:
  • khaled1987
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 09:56 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: They, at least, are exhibiting a consistent strategy pf player acquisition, so far, that is consistent with what Kidd has said since he got here.  Maximize Luka, get KP back up to speed, play fast, play D and shoot the 3.

Agreed. A clear vision seems to be in place....except when you look at the center position. I think something is still coming down the pipe, even if it is just Powell for Dragic (who shot 37% from three).....

.....AND I don't get where KP fits in the vision unless he is just a spot up three point shooter OR he freaking learns to play the pick and roll. 

DREAM scenario is KP learning to the pick and roll well with Luka and then surrounding them with shooters who will play some D.
Like Reply
The lesson here is only another elite player is going to defer to Luka. Guys like Wright and JRich have no chance as secondary options. And if Luka’s not going to defer to you, you better be able to catch and shoot it. 

Obviously Bullock does nothing to ease the pressure on Doncic to make all the plays. But he’s a much better fit than a non shooter.
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • fifteenth, Smitty
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:02 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Obviously Bullock does nothing to ease the pressure on Doncic to make all the plays. But he’s a much better fit than a non shooter.

Totally agree with this. If you are going to give the ball to ANYONE other than Luka, that player better be DAMN good with the ball in his hands.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • Branduil, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I'm curious.  Would you rather have Seth Curry at 4 years 32 million or Reggie Bullock at 3 years 30 million, Moses Brown, and Tyler Bey (I'm assuming he remains on the roster)?

Curry will be 31 in a few weeks.  Bullock will be 31 in March 2022.  Bullock to me is more of a 2 way player.  One would think Curry is the much better shooter, but Bullock isn't bad.  He is a remarkably good 3 point and FT shooter.

I'm ok with Bullock, Sterling Brown, resigning THJ and Boban.  I like the trade for Moses Brown.  If Bullock comes here via the trade exception and we have the full MLE at our disposal with the ability to trade picks again (by lifting the protections of the 2023 pick), I would be ecstatic.
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Agreed. A clear vision seems to be in place....except when you look at the center position. I think something is still coming down the pipe, even if it is just Powell for Dragic (who shot 37% from three).....

.....AND I don't get where KP fits in the vision unless he is just a spot up three point shooter OR he freaking learns to play the pick and roll. 

DREAM scenario is KP learning to the pick and roll well with Luka and then surrounding them with shooters who will play some D.

They've told you that too, but you hate KP so mucha nd want him traded so bad you are in denial.  They think it was health, they expect his defense and mobility back when he's healthy and they expect him protecting the rim, while opening the lanes for Luka to drive because people guard him, for some reason, like he shoots well, which he does.

Kamm, dude, you have to out the bias aside.  Sometimes, a pen is just a pen, and as much as you want Kidd, Nico and all to be lying to everyone to try to sell KP...they may just be telling the truth, and that's their plan because they believe that's the smart thing to do to win...whether Mavsboard likes it or not.  They are the ones that have to produce to keep their jobs.  Just sayin', bro.

Then again, if Washington wants KP for Beal....Aloha, adios, auf weidersehen, vaya con dios, German Unicorn... ?
German Unicorn and Vaya Condios
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:05 PM)Mavs03 Wrote: I'm curious.  Would you rather have Seth Curry at 4 years 32 million or Reggie Bullock at 3 years 30 million, Moses Brown, and Tyler Bey (I'm assuming he remains on the roster)?

Curry will be 31 in a few weeks.  Bullock will be 31 in March 2022.  Bullock to me is more of a 2 way player.  One would think Curry is the much better shooter, but Bullock isn't bad.  He is a remarkably good 3 point and FT shooter.

I'm ok with Bullock, Sterling Brown, resigning THJ and Boban.  I like the trade for Moses Brown.  If Bullock comes here via the trade exception and we have the full MLE at our disposal with the ability to trade picks again (by lifting the protections of the 2023 pick), I would be ecstatic.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Minus Moses and Bey (who is already gone).

Not going to fault the new regime for that Curry trade, but man was that atrocious.  Nailed it!
Like Reply