Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: JRich to BOS | $10.8M TPE + Moses Brown (7'1.25", 7'4.75" wingspan) to DAL
(07-30-2021, 11:31 PM)SamStetz Wrote: Interesting idea...I like the idea of being able to keep the TPE (and as a result the full MLE). I doubt Redick would want to go to Toronto, but in a 3 team deal could you S&T him to Philly for Hill, who would be sent to Toronto as a part of matching Lowry’s first year salary with DP and Burke?

That works as a salary match (assuming Redick's 1st year salary is ~8.55M or more) but I don't think it works with who might want what. But yeah, that's the idea.
Like Reply
(07-30-2021, 11:32 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: If we could get Ball instead of Lowry, then Ball-Powell-Holmes would be close to being my ideal offseason.

Yeah, I suppose that scenario might be neither "apocalyptically bad" nor an "unmitigated disaster."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hogmelon's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(07-30-2021, 11:32 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: We have enough room now that I'm not sure there's a way to operate over the cap in a KP for Lowry deal unless 1) Lowry is making the most he possibly can in that trade (i.e., eating into our cap room) and other pieces like Kleber, Powell, et al. are outgoing for bigger salary as well. 

If we traded KP for SnT Lowry, I would rather not offer Lowry more than 3/90 (in which case we still have $33M in cap room), clear more cap room, and go after Holmes. I'd also rather Norm Powell than THJ in that scenario, but a man can't be too greedy.

Lowry
Powell
Luka
DFS
Holmes

If we could get Ball instead of Lowry, then Ball-Powell-Holmes would be close to being my ideal offseason.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying .... if you're saying those ideas don't work in preserving over-cap status, and enabling the Mavs to keep their TPE plus also room to re-sign THJ, you're wrong. And I'm looking at a 3/90 deal.

If you're saying that after a trade like that, you might prefer to work as an under-cap team, that's true. There would be choices, depending on who you traded for Lowry, and who else you see as a desirable and realistic target(s).

An aside about your players you lust for, I suspect Powell will be way more expensive than THJ. THJ's salary may start a bit less than we think. And I also think Holmes will get way less than people here are projecting - too few teams with cap room, plus he's a center which depresses what he is likely to be offered. Paying more than $15M would be an awful overpay (bidding against yourself, I suspect) in the market.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-30-2021, 11:54 PM)F Gump Wrote: An aside about your players you lust for, I suspect Powell will be way more expensive than THJ. THJ's salary may start a bit less than we think. And I also think Holmes will get way less than people here are projecting - too few teams with cap room, plus he's a center which depresses what he is likely to be offered. Paying more than $15M would be an awful overpay in the market.

From your lips to God's ears!
Like Reply
(07-30-2021, 11:54 PM)F Gump Wrote: I also think Holmes will get way less than people here are projecting - too few teams with cap room, plus he's a center which depresses what he is likely to be offered. Paying more than $15M would be an awful overpay (bidding against yourself, I suspect) in the market.

That's it.
No more reason not to get RH.
All other reasons  = invalid.
[-] The following 2 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-30-2021, 11:54 PM)F Gump Wrote: I'm not sure I follow what you're saying .... if you're saying those ideas don't work in preserving over-cap status, and enabling the Mavs to keep their TPE plus also room to re-sign THJ, you're wrong. And I'm looking at a 3/90 deal.

If you're saying that after a trade like that, you might prefer to work as an under-cap team, that's true. There would be choices, depending on who you traded for Lowry, and who else you see as a desirable and realistic target(s).

An aside about your players you lust for, I suspect Powell will be way more expensive than THJ. THJ's salary may start a bit less than we think. And I also think Holmes will get way less than people here are projecting - too few teams with cap room, plus he's a center which depresses what he is likely to be offered. Paying more than $15M would be an awful overpay (bidding against yourself, I suspect) in the market.
THJ for LESS than $13M? I’m so IN! Holmes for less than $18M? No real excuse not to get him!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I guess I have to fall asleep for something to happen Smile Positive thing is we traded him fo free and we got TPE. Negative is that this deal can't be expanded. It will be very difficult to do something like SnT Lowry and sign THJ now.
Like Reply
According to this we also got a 2nd rounder. Anyone found is it a real or fake one?

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_...-mavericks
Like Reply
(07-31-2021, 03:49 AM)omahen Wrote: According to this we also got a 2nd rounder. Anyone found is it a real or fake one?

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_...-mavericks

Probably one of those top 55 protected picks.

The way Pelton laid this out, it seems more logical that the Mavs re-sign THJ, do something like Kleber for Markkanen plus Satoransky into the TPE. Then sign somebody like Oubre with the MLE.

Doncic/Brunson/Terry
THJ/Satoransky/Burke
DFS/Oubre/Green
Markkanen/X/X
Porzingis/WCS/Powell

Pipedream scenario would be turning Powell/Burke into a legit PF/C back-up.

I just don´t see why the Raptors would do us any favours with an over the cap deal for Lowry, when the other teams they are allegedly negotiating with like Pelicans, Sixers and Heat have multiple desirable pieces for a S&T. If I´m Ujiri I make the Mavs use capspace.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(07-31-2021, 04:24 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Probably one of those top 55 protected picks.

The way Pelton laid this out, it seems more logical that the Mavs re-sign THJ, do something like Kleber for Markkanen plus Satoransky into the TPE. Then sign somebody like Oubre with the MLE.

Doncic/Brunson/Terry
THJ/Satoransky/Burke
DFS/Oubre/Green
Markkanen/X/X
Porzingis/WCS/Powell

I just don´t see why the Raptors would do us any favours with an over the cap deal for Lowry, when the other teams they are allegedly negotiating with like Pelicans, Sixers and Heat have multiple desirable pieces for a S&T. If I´m Ujiri I make the Mavs use capspace.

Why would you make one of your franchises most coveted player pissed, not get an asset just to screw with a franchise you will see less than any other over the next years?
Like Reply
(07-31-2021, 05:06 AM)Mapka Wrote: Why would you make one of your franchises most coveted player pissed, not get an asset just to screw with a franchise you will see less than any other over the next years?

Cause I try to stir him in a different direction, so I can get better assets like Maxey, Thybulle, Robinson, Herro, Walker, Lewis or some other picks. All the Mavs can offer me is trash.
Like Reply
Interesting wrinkle...Trade article from the Boston perspective from The Athletic thinks Moses Brown or a protected second may be the incoming in the JRich deal.  If true regarding Brown, it would guarantee his $1.7mm contract for next season and take $775k out of cap space:   

The Celtics and Mavericks are expected to finalize Dallas’ side of the deal in the coming days, which will likely either be recently acquired center Moses Brown or a protected draft pick, per sources. The Celtics received a 2023 second-round pick from Atlanta in their first trade of the afternoon.

This trade sets the table for the Celtics to walk away if the price for Evan Fournier gets too high. His range has been quoted by league sources as anywhere from $12 million to $20 million next week if there is a bidding war in free agency. Replacing Fournier with the expiring deal of Richardson could then open up a potential max salary slot next offseason in what would likely be the big swing to push the team into clear contention before Jaylen Brown enters the final year of his contract.

After giving up Thompson for Dunn, who was a shell of himself in limited minutes after nearly two seasons off the court due to injury, and Fernando, who hasn’t shown much progress to becoming a rotation player yet, Stevens once again was willing to sacrifice value to open up financial flexibility. That’s something his predecessor rarely did for most of the post-big-three-era rebuild.

GM Stevens has so far paid the 16th pick in the draft to exchange essentially even talent players, taking in the significantly older one, then sacrificed a viable backup center for two players who couldn’t stay on the floor two months ago. Richardson will be absorbed into the remainder of the Gordon Hayward trade exception, while Dunn goes into the $4.7 million Enes Kanter exception. The Celtics then created a new $9.26 million Thompson trade exception in the process that will expire in one year.

Thompson was revered by his teammates for his off-court leadership, yet he butt heads with the coaching staff and organization throughout a rough 2020-21 season and was widely expected by sources around the team to be traded away before the conclusion of free agency. Dunn comes in with a reputation for stellar perimeter defense and some offensive downhill attacking ability but was not moving well when he returned in April and couldn’t crack a rotation that needed a defensive guard like him.

There have been rumblings Dunn could get flipped again, though Dallas does not want to take him in the Richardson deal, per sources familiar with the discussions. The two most viable possibilities would be to package Dunn with one of the team’s recent 14th picks to acquire Cleveland forward Larry Nance after a solid year-plus of dancing around that deal, or tagging him onto a Marcus Smart for Lonzo Ball sign-and-trade amid chatter that the Celtics could pursue the Pelicans guard. There are a variety of possibilities and Boston is trying to expand the number of avenues it can go down in the next two weeks.

The Celtics now sit approximately $4.36 million below the tax line if Moses Brown is shipped out and Jabari Parker is waived, according to The Athletic’s Danny Leroux. That figure goes down to $2.66 million if Brown stays but Parker goes. 
Like Reply
Players that fit into the TPE next year and are rumoured to be on the move/available.

Reddish 4.4
Aminu 10.2
Satoransky 10.0
Nance 10.7
Osman 8.1
Lamb 10.5
Culver 6.4
Knox 5.9
Favors 9.8
Bamba 7.6
DJJ 9.8
Hood 10.9

Bagley (would work with his current salary, so I guess they´d have to trade for him today or tomorrow)

I can´t see the Celtics sending us Moses Brown. That would be brilliant though.
Like Reply
(07-31-2021, 05:19 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Moses Brown

Please be true. Would be a steal and free up even more capspace because the Mavs could let WCS walk. 7´2 with good athleticism on a minimum deal for the next three seasons.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Kammrath, omahen
Like Reply
(07-31-2021, 05:17 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Cause I try to stir him in a different direction, so I can get better assets like Maxey, Thybulle, Robinson, Herro, Walker, Lewis or some other picks. All the Mavs can offer me is trash.

FAs go where they want to go to. And pissing important players off will catch you up eventually. But I can at least see your intention.
Like Reply
(07-27-2021, 06:12 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Has it been brought up that THJ and Lowry are both represented by the same agency?

They have Larry Nance also.  There has been some talk of Cleveland dumping some multi-year salaries.  Nance fits into our new TPE.  Sterling Brown is also a client of Bartelstein's agency...you know, since we are reportedly in on the "Sterling Brown Sweepstakes".  Zach Collins, McDermott, Portis, Niang and T.J. McConnell are other FA's represented by that agency.

Some might wonder if the Moses Brown part of the JRich deal is true how that might work.  Dallas has a small TPE left from the Iwundu trade that would cover Brown.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Hogmelon, Tyler
Like Reply
(07-31-2021, 04:24 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Probably one of those top 55 protected picks.

Doncic/Brunson/Terry
THJ/Satoransky/Burke
DFS/Oubre/Green
Markkanen/X/X
Porzingis/WCS/Powell

- I like Sato as an idea
- Markkanen for Maxi is interesting but I am not sure if Bulls want to take on salary. Seems like they would be in the salary shedding business to get Lonzo
- Oubre for MLE would be worth it to me but I have a feeling he will get more for some reason. He thinks he is better than he is.
- D Green for MLE is an option. DJJ "for free" is an option similar to Oubre.
Like Reply
(07-31-2021, 08:34 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: They have Larry Nance also.  There has been some talk of them dumping some multi-year salaries.  Nance fits into our new TPE.  Sterling Brown is also a client of Bartelstein's agency...you know, since we are reportedly in on the "Sterling Brown Sweepstakes".  Zach Collins, McDermott, Portis, Niang and T.J. McConnell are other FA's represented by that agency.

Some might wonder if the Moses Brown part of the JRich deal is true how that might work.  Dallas has a small TPE left from the Iwundu trade that would cover Brown.

I like the Larry Nance idea a lot and he would make Maxi or Powell disposable.
Like Reply
(07-31-2021, 05:40 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Please be true. Would be a steal and free up even more capspace because the Mavs could let WCS walk. 7´2 with good athleticism on a minimum deal for the next three seasons.

Moses would be super dangerous next to Luka.
Like Reply
Are the roster spots limitation that makes a need for Boston to send a player out? Both deals need to be done before new season. Boston only sent one player out yet received 3.
Like Reply