Poll: Will there be issues with Race and FAs; with our European Stars
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, there will be some issues
44.00%
11 44.00%
Yes, but so minimal it won't be a big deal
32.00%
8 32.00%
Maybe, it is possible, but unlikely
16.00%
4 16.00%
No, that wouldn't happen
4.00%
1 4.00%
No, this thought is insane.
4.00%
1 4.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European Player Bias
just to be clear to everyone. I am not insinuating that this is the majority opinion, nor am I proposing that this is the mentality that it should be viewed under... but I see all sorts of short overly confident opinions from folks on either side of this.... 

I think it tends to mirror a lot of the issues this nation is currently going through. We are more divided than we know of, in our generation. 

I think this isn't something that will be a huge real issue... but i think to some people who play in the NBA and some fans of the NBA definitely subscribe to this narrow racial based line of thinking. 

I think this shouldn't be a big problem as I predict Luka and Porz will be so good too many people will have to take notice....

but I do acknowledge and do think there is a bias in the MEDIA about this. So the media as we know, likes to highlight the small minority of people who are the most "triggered" or the most "offended" and they give a platform to this sort of outrage culture we live in... it has permeated into our politics, our daily lives, our tv shows, etc...

you can't turn on the tv anymore without hearing something about this now. 

So this is why I bring it up. I am not under the impression that it is a big deal....

but that MAYBE the media will help hype this into a bigger deal than it is, which in turn could be harmful to the team image...

though I doubt it is a big issue... 

just find the topic fascinating
Like Reply
(10-25-2019, 07:51 PM)Magickian Wrote: I think it tends to mirror a lot of the issues this nation is currently going through. We are more divided than we know of, in our generation. 

Yes. We were united after 9/11, but the division started gaining foothold in 2007 and has continued to get worse with every passing year. 

Regarding your comments about the media, during the Jim Crow era and the civil rights era, the media helped to magnify discrimination and helped to bring about change. But the past 10+ years, they have fomented and nurtured division.
Like Reply
Since I am not American I can't comment on this as a "Nation" thing.
But basketball wise, I don't think it will affect us much. I mean isn't Luka a great friend of Ayton for example? He seem to have a great relation with players of his age and they were enjoying there time with him during rookie game in All-Star weekend.
Lebron also took notice of him along many others in the league. 
Same for KP, not probably as popular as Luka but many recognize his talent and not sure if anyone has a problem with him.
I don't think it will affect us getting a free agent if other factors are in our advantage. 
Cap space, good average age, good squad overall and healthy super stars. 
That wasn't the case with Dirk, first time we had cap-space he was 34 and no one else behind him to help. And even then players like CP3 and Howard planed to be here but both were traded.
Like Reply
(10-25-2019, 07:51 PM)Magickian Wrote: but I do acknowledge and do think there is a bias in the MEDIA about this. So the media as we know, likes to highlight the small minority of people who are the most "triggered" or the most "offended" and they give a platform to this sort of outrage culture we live in... it has permeated into our politics, our daily lives, our tv shows, etc...

Trolls aren't just on the internet, they're on our TV's too. The culture has been about creating drama wherever it can be found. Jerry Springer is the genesis of all this. Even though I am by nature an envelope pusher, that mentality is the type that is creating most of the drama.
Like Reply
From a team building standpoint, no effect.  The Mavs are basically just one top 50 player away anyway.  From a night to night, you get the other team’s best shot standpoint?  Yes, opponents are going to bring the A game more often against the Mavs than against most other teams.
Like Reply
Imagine if an ESPN Hockey analyst had voiced skepticism about an NHL team because they featured two African American players, and asserted that the white players "aint havin' it".    He would have been fired before the next commercial break.  

As for Dallas, if this is their identity, they should go all in.   The analytics approach favors Euro style of play.    The reigning NBA MVP, C Rookie of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Most Improved Player are all former Euros.   And the reigning Coach of the Year is a former Euro coach.    This is the way the league is moving towards.  This should be a strength for the Mavs.   Let other Euro players know that this is an inclusive, diverse organization where their games are respected, valued and allowed to flourish, and they're not going to be met by skepticism, bias and dismissal and unfair stereotypes like they will be elsewhere around the league.
Like Reply
(10-28-2019, 08:26 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Imagine if an ESPN Hockey analyst had voiced skepticism about an NHL team because they featured two African American players, and asserted that the white players "aint havin' it".    He would have been fired before the next commercial break.  

As for Dallas, if this is their identity, they should go all in.   The analytics approach favors Euro style of play.    The reigning NBA MVP, C Rookie of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Most Improved Player are all former Euros.   And the reigning Coach of the Year is a former Euro coach.    This is the way the league is moving towards.  This should be a strength for the Mavs.   Let other Euro players know that this is an inclusive, diverse organization where their games are respected, valued and allowed to flourish, and they're not going to be met by skepticism, bias and dismissal and unfair stereotypes like they will be elsewhere around the league.
How many other cities changed the street name at the arena to an European player's last name...put their siloute on the court...

Luka and KP got to see it first hand...it made an impression on them IMO...and how many other Euro players seen this from a distance and wished that was them...Dallas is where I wished I was playing...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply