Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2021-2022 AROUND the NBA: GSW Champs [ARCHIVED]
(06-01-2022, 10:00 PM)F Gump Wrote: You are aware that DET's contractual limits with Brunson are the same whether he signs outright or arrives via sign-and-trade, yes?

You are aware that Detroit is limited to offering Brunson a four year deal, no? Dallas can offer Brunson more money and a longer five year contract. 

If Brunson is in the Mavs plans he will likely be retained unless he decides he wants to take less money for a larger role in someplace like Detroit or New York. But that begs the question, if Brunson isn't in the Mavs plans, or if he just wants his own team, why wouldn't he take the more financially advantageous route out of town and cooperate with Dallas on a sign and trade to Detroit or New York or some other team in need of a starting PG? 

There should be no surprises here. Brunson either is or isn't wanted in Dallas. If he's wanted, he'll stay. If he's not, he'll be gone, and it would be in the best interest of both sides to work together on a mutually agreeable landing spot.

It's not unreasonable to think the Dallas could get a first round pick out of Detroit for facilitating a sign in trade to Detroit versus New York. That's the price of poker and similar deals have happened in the past. Of course, the Detroit #5 pick isn't your average first round pick... it's a super valuable asset. That's why I proposed a #26 for #5 swap. Still unrealistic but hey, this is fantasy trading, right?
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(06-01-2022, 11:05 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: You are aware that Detroit is limited to offering Brunson a four year deal, no? Dallas can offer Brunson more money and a longer five year contract. 

If Brunson is in the Mavs plans he will likely be retained unless he decides he wants to take less money for a larger role in someplace like Detroit or New York. But that begs the question, if Brunson isn't in the Mavs plans, or if he just wants his own team, why wouldn't he take the more financially advantageous route out of town and cooperate with Dallas on a sign and trade to Detroit or New York or some team in need of a starting PG.

"If Brunson isn't in the Mavs plans, or if he just wants his own team, why wouldn't he take the more financially advantageous route out of town?"

Because it is NOT more financially advantageous that way. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE, EVEN WITH A SNT. (I wasn't asking 'you do know, yes?' to be snarky, but because I thought you knew the below, and didn't need me to explain it. But I thought wrong.)

Assuming a 122M cap ...

Mavs can offer up to 5 years, 176.9M. Or up to 136.64 over 4 years.

DET can only offer up to 4 years, only 131.15M if they sign him. If they sign and trade for him, the contractual limit for Brunson-DET is the same 4 yrs 131.15M. The sign-and-trade process doesn't change any of the dollar limits for him signing with DET.

Where the SNT comes into play is when his own team doesn't want to offer the money, while the team that Brunson wants (and that is willing to pay him) doesn't have the cap room. In that case, they can trade for him if Dallas will cooperate. But they still can't give him 5 years, nor can they offer the 8% raises. The only way he can get those things is by signing a deal to be with Dallas (not one to be SNT'ed).
[-] The following 6 users Like F Gump's post:
  • AgGiE1991, DanSchwartzgan, HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft, MFFL, mvossman
Like Reply
BTW, I agree that the Mavs need to sign Brunson, should sign him, and I think they will. He's become a key part of what they are building. And he's a winner.
Like Reply
(06-01-2022, 11:25 PM)F Gump Wrote: BTW, I agree that the Mavs need to sign Brunson, should sign him, and I think they will. He's become a key part of what they are building. And he's a winner.

I believe they'll sign him too. But his Dad Rick said Dallas waited too long to get his contract situation squared away. They extended DFS. He said Dallas is going to have to pay him royally.
Like Reply
(06-01-2022, 11:16 PM)F Gump Wrote: Mavs can offer up to 5 years, 176.9M. Or up to 136.64 over 4 years.

DET can only offer up to 4 years, only 131.15M if they sign him. If they sign and trade for him, the contractual limit for Brunson-DET is the same 4 yrs 131.15M. The sign-and-trade process doesn't change any of the dollar limits for him signing with DET.
Is a MAX contract seriously on the table for JB, even from DET or NYK? The 4 year deal averages $34+MM per year. 

He's a part of the team, sure, but not at that price range. I thought we were talking more in the low 20s.
Like Reply
Yep, the odds that Dal signs JB are greater than 50% and lower than 100%. All it takes is a chance and a sit down to be convinced otherwise though. I’m sure there have been plenty of stories out there like the one JB is in now and the results weren’t always with the odds.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ianbegley/status/153...40225?s=21&t=MhJMLnlWEOyqXiRmzUunCA
Like Reply
Seeing/hearing a lot of talk about GSW being a dynasty. They have deservedly earned the discussion and probably warrant that distinction.

However, I was looking at their payroll and wondered how long they can actually keep it up.

21-22 roster payroll is $178.2MM for a full team ($139MM just for Curry, Thompson, Green, Wiggins) PLUS $170.3MM Luxury tax. The current team is basically their core 4 guys with a few FAs, a few trades and a bunch of FRPs.

22-23 roster payroll is $171.1MM for 8 players, $148MM for the top 4. Wiseman and Poole, who are TOs and total ~$13.5MM. They could be released, but GSW has already indicated they will pay Poole. IDK about Wiseman. Those eight currently carry a Luxury Tax of $52.8MM. So exercising Bird rights on Looney and filling other open slots now filled by Igoudala, OPJ, GPII and others will cost them a bunch more than just the contract salaries. So they are probably looking at a similar LT bill.

23-24 there are only 6 players currently under contract, including Curry, but anyone staying will be looking to get paid. So who knows where they end up.

My question is whether this is the type of spending it will take to put together a team that can win multiple championships? 
If so, do we realistically expect Cuban to spend this big to try and get another trophy or two?
Like Reply
(06-02-2022, 02:18 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: https://twitter.com/ianbegley/status/153...40225?s=21&t=MhJMLnlWEOyqXiRmzUunCA
Whatever the % chance JB leaves was, it just went up. There are some salesmen out there!
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1532455556727947291
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/1532395237087141889
Like Reply
(06-02-2022, 02:23 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Whatever the % chance JB leaves was, it just went up. There are some salesmen out there!
Do you think this makes it less likely he leaves?
[-] The following 1 user Likes BasketballJones41's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(06-02-2022, 10:56 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Is a MAX contract seriously on the table for JB, even from DET or NYK? The 4 year deal averages $34+MM per year. 

He's a part of the team, sure, but not at that price range. I thought we were talking more in the low 20s.

I think you're right. Big numbers get strewn around, just because, and as if teams will pay him all they can pay. But recent deals for similar value players were much smaller. For example, Van Vleet (who I think should be a good comp), got 4 yrs 85M.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(06-02-2022, 03:49 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: Do think this makes it less likely he leaves?
What do you mean? Angel
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(06-02-2022, 04:41 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: What do you mean? Angel
I didn’t read your initial response correctly. My bad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BasketballJones41's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(06-02-2022, 04:56 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: I didn’t read your initial response correctly. My bad.
No, you did, check the edit stamp… Angel
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • AgGiE1991, BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Looks like this one will be a white knuckler.  NY and Dallas seem 50-50 for Brunson at this point. Losing Brunson for nothing would set the franchise back a couple of years.  He’s really the only reliable non role player on the roster outside of Luka.
Like Reply
Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter: "Blazers statement: An offer was made by Phil Knight. The team remains not for sale." / Twitter
Like Reply
(06-02-2022, 02:23 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Whatever the % chance JB leaves was, it just went up. There are some salesmen out there!

(06-02-2022, 05:14 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Looks like this one will be a white knuckler.  NY and Dallas seem 50-50 for Brunson at this point. Losing Brunson for nothing would set the franchise back a couple of years.  He’s really the only reliable non role player on the roster outside of Luka.

I actually disagree. This isn't new for Thibs. Rick Brunson was an assistant coach for Thibs in Chicago AND in Minnesota (But was let go because of sexual assault allegations). 

Rick Brunson also was working with the Knicks for a long time before this. He worked out Obi Toppin for them and was apart of practices. 

Finally this move by a team trying to sway Brunson isn't even new. Temple attempted to hire Rick Brunson in order to get Jalen to commit to them. Rick subsequently got arrested and Brunson committed to Nova anyways. 

So no, I don't think this hiring should have any sway for where Jalen wants to go. As long as the Mavs pay him more than anyone, JB should be a Mav.

https://www.vuhoops.com/2014/6/25/584239...ruit-jalen
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Two trades:

1. Trade the soon to be expiring $10 mil TE to the 76ers for their 2022 1st (#23 overall) and Danny Green's expiring $10 million deal.  Green is probably done for 22-23 with his busted knee.  But D. Green's expiring contract (or D.Powell's), plus Josh Green and Maxi plus the Mavs' and 76ers' 1sts should be in the ballpark to land John Collins.

2. Regarding Brunson - I don't think you're going to be able to bend over an under the cap team looking to outright sign JB. However, get them to agree to do it where the Mavs get a MONSTER Trade Exception.  Think of what the Mavs could do with potentially a $34 million TE -- create trade room for the next big ticket available or break it up into smaller deals while gaining assets by robbing tax teams by taking future assets from teams needing immediate room.  

Plus the Mavs already have $25.9 million deals ending next year that could make getting back something valuable easier.
Like Reply