Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(06-18-2022, 01:02 PM)SamStetz Wrote: I wonder if there is a deal somewhere here between Philly/Charlotte/Dallas where Dallas could pick up either pick 13 or 15 to help facilitate…

PHI: Hayward/DP
DAL: Harris/Washington/15
CHA: THJ/23 

I like that for Dallas on a talent basis. Sure. For the others? Not sure why PHI would have any interest.

And a problem with DAL is bringing in TWO players who play the same position as DFS. All are starter-caliber. Too much overlap, imo.
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 02:44 PM)F Gump Wrote: I like that for Dallas on a talent basis. Sure. For the others? Not sure why PHI would have any interest.

And a problem with DAL is bringing in TWO players who play the same position as DFS. All are starter-caliber. Too much overlap, imo.

I actually like DFS starting at SF.

I think Phila is looking to unload the Harris contract.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nash_funk's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 01:14 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: Yup, and I have a hard time believing MC's businesses, all 1,000 of them, earn enough to comfortably cover these tax penalties (I don't know honestly).  Post-injury Din showed the ability to help almost any team and he is sure to get better, which I assume makes him easier to move.

https://www.bloomberg.com/billionaires/p...ark-cuban/

The article says he's mostly in cash.  Let's assume $2b of his net worth is in the Mavericks (Clippers sold for $2b fairly recently).

So, let's say he's only making 3% return on $3.3b of investments, excluding the Mavs.  That's a paltry $100m annually.  Hardly enough to feed his family.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
Powell and Green for Poeltl makes a lot of sense now 

Bertans and Green for Olynk would be another cost cutting move addressing rim protection 

Let’s say Cuban is willing to go “all in” for Luka just this one year though before we cut costs. Some interesting names could possibly be had at the Tax MLE. Thad Young would be my top choice if Batum is unavailable. Mcgee, Prince, Warren, OPJ, Bamba are also some other fits for the last spot

I’m assuming Pinson and Dragic are taking 2 of the 3 open spots

If we don’t use the tMLE i could see us buying a 2nd rd pick and saving on the final roster spot

Ideally it would be Thad Young, Dragic, Pinson and re-sign Brunson to complete the offseason 

Guard 1: Luka, Dragic
Guard 2: Brunson, Dinwiddie, Frank
Wing 1: Bullock, Hardaway, Green
Wing 2: DFS, Thad, Bertans
Big: Wood, Maxi, Powell 

Towel waver: Pinson
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 04:07 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Ideally it would be Thad Young, Dragic, Pinson and re-sign Brunson to complete the offseason 

I thought about those exact players. 

Young and Dragic both makes sense.
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 04:03 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: https://www.bloomberg.com/billionaires/p...ark-cuban/

The article says he's mostly in cash.  Let's assume $2b of his net worth is in the Mavericks (Clippers sold for $2b fairly recently).

So, let's say he's only making 3% return on $3.3b of investments, excluding the Mavs.  That's a paltry $100m annually.  Hardly enough to feed his family.

I think you make a fair point and 3% seems reasonable considering the last couple of years.  Looks like he has lost a quarter billion in value in the last year which isn't shocking, and it seems some of it is wrapped up in movie cinemas which I assume has picked up in the last few months from the eye-test.  There's a lot of volatility but yeah I can see him paying a large tax for 1 or even 2 years.  Thanks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BoredAssistant's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Warriors just paid 345m (175m salary, 170m tax) and they don´t care. Why? Because the revenue is increasing as well. Because the value of the franchise sky rocketed. From 1.3b in 2015 to 5.6b in 2021. As a pure investment it makes sense. Even if the repeater tax might push them close to 500m next season.

Mavs situation isn´t the same but the overall trend of rising value applies for most NBA teams. From 1.2b in 2015 to 2.7b in 2021. Value doubled. Paying the tax would be a small price compared to the potential franchise value that can be reached if the Mavs stay competitive.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BoredAssistant, DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 04:07 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Some interesting names could possibly be had at the Tax MLE. Thad Young would be my top choice if Batum is unavailable.  

Ideally it would be Thad Young, Dragic, Pinson and re-sign Brunson to complete the offseason  

Hello Preacher, Choir here...

Here is the write-up from Hollinger's piece in The Athletic:

6. Thaddeus YoungRaptors: $8,016,263

I struggled with whether to list Young at center or power forward, but at 6 foot 8 and 235 pounds, his optimal usage case is next to a center who can shoot. Young’s ability to defend the perimeter in switches against smaller players remains a plus even at 34, but his inability to stretch the floor makes him a liability if he can’t play from the elbows on offense. He’s a crafty passer and still spins in enough short-range lefty bank shots to keep defenses honest, whether as a small-ball five or a more traditional four. If the Raptors don’t bring him back, he should have a strong market on a short-term deal for at least the taxpayer midlevel exception.
[-] The following 5 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • AgGiE1991, F Gump, Reunion Mav, Smitty, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
I can't imagine the Mavs trade Dinwiddie now. Having 3 PGs was a key part of their run and their ability to keep 2 ballhandlers on the floor at all times.
[-] The following 8 users Like Branduil's post:
  • Arioch, DallasMaverick, F Gump, KillerLeft, MFFL, michaeltex, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
I'm wondering if we are looking the wrong direction for how the Mavs might be trying to fill slot 15 while also solving the THJ puzzle (by packaging him with Powell, or some other add-on set) for a bigger salary.

Two other approaches ...
1 They will leave the 15th slot mostly open, using it to cycle in prospects, until they find one they really like, and keep THJ as a scorer off the bench, with Bertans being the alternative when a bigger player is needed, or
2 They divide the problem again (like they did with KP), and swap THJ for TWO players, each making less and one of them being a 2-way decent wing (perhaps the other being an undesirable), resulting in using up that 15th slot.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 05:47 PM)Branduil Wrote: I can't imagine the Mavs trade Dinwiddie now. Having 3 PGs was a key part of their run and their ability to keep 2 ballhandlers on the floor at all times.

I think you're right and he helps a lot.  I just wonder if he wants to start somewhere else considering he's in his prime.  I just figured he'd be easier to move than others.
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 05:58 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: I think you're right and he helps a lot.  I just wonder if he wants to start somewhere else considering he's in his prime.  I just figured he'd be easier to move than others.

Mavs need SD. He has a place here. It's not broke, so ...
[-] The following 5 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Arioch, BoredAssistant, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 02:44 PM)F Gump Wrote: I like that for Dallas on a talent basis. Sure. For the others? Not sure why PHI would have any interest.

I think Philly’s interest would be to take the large deal and break it into 2 smaller ones (and one expires) since they have to get ready to pay Harden. 

I like Washington at essentially the small MLE price and he could potentially take Maxi’s spot by next season. 

I wish I knew which websites people use, it would be curious to see if/how many minutes Washington got at the 3 position…
[-] The following 1 user Likes SamStetz's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 05:58 PM)F Gump Wrote: I'm wondering if we are looking the wrong direction for how the Mavs might be trying to fill slot 15 while also solving the THJ puzzle (by packaging him with Powell, or some other add-on set) for a bigger salary.

Two other approaches ...
1 They will leave the 15th slot mostly open, using it to cycle in prospects, until they find one they really like, and keep THJ as a scorer off the bench, with Bertans being the alternative when a bigger player is needed, or
2 They divide the problem again (like they did with KP), and swap THJ for TWO players, each making less and one of them being a 2-way decent wing (perhaps the other being an undesirable), resulting in using up that 15th slot.

I suggested before a trade of THJ and Green to OKC for Favors and Ja. Green (Green goes into the TPE in a technically separate trade).
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 05:58 PM)F Gump Wrote: I'm wondering if we are looking the wrong direction for how the Mavs might be trying to fill slot 15 while also solving the THJ puzzle (by packaging him with Powell, or some other add-on set) for a bigger salary.

Two other approaches ...

THJ to Portland for a S&T Nuric and Winslow.
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 06:27 PM)Branduil Wrote: I suggested before a trade of THJ and Green to OKC for Favors and Ja. Green (Green goes into the TPE in a technically separate trade).

Yeah, that's the sort of trade in general, although I'm thinking more of a 1-for-2 (see KP to WASH). I'd want to avoid sending out Green, unless the deal is overwhelming (and I don't think that one is).

But if THJ for Favors/JaGreen, in June, that looks like a good path to me, assuming Favors has something left in the tank (and maybe even if he doesn't). Mavs would also end up with a new TPE for about 11.4M, assuming they did this by June 27.

BTW, OKC has no TPE, but would have no restriction on aggregating JaGreen in a deal, since they are under the cap.

(06-18-2022, 06:57 PM)chaparral Wrote: THJ to Portland for a S&T Nuric and Winslow.

Mavs can't take a player in a SNT.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • VintagePejav2
Like Reply

Two other approaches ...
I don’t think the mavs view Hardaway as a puzzle that needs solving. I think they view it as we are adding THJ and Wood to the same team as last year. Offensively we should be elite
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 08:13 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: I don’t think the mavs view Hardaway as a puzzle that needs solving. I think they view it as we are adding THJ and Wood to the same team as last year. Offensively we should be elite

You may be right that the Mavs are adding Wood and Hardaway to last year's team, and satisfied. If so, their minutes and regulars are basically set as is. Then the 15th slot is a surplus and might go toward development, or might use it on a player willing to sign as a bargain addition without any clear path to regular minutes.

REGULARS                              DEEP BACKUP/DEVELOP

BIGS  (48 mins)        Wood,     Kleber                    Powell

CREATOR (96 mins)  Luka
                                             Dinwiddie               Dragic
                              Brunson
                                                                                                                   PLAYER 15
WING (96 mins)       DFS                                        Bertans
                                               THJ
                              Bullock                                   Green, Franky, Pinson
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 09:05 PM)F Gump Wrote: You may be right that the Mavs are adding Wood and Hardaway to last year's team, and satisfied. If so, their minutes and regulars are basically set as is. Then the 15th slot is a surplus and might go toward development, or might use it on a player willing to sign as a bargain addition without any clear path to regular minutes.

REGULARS                              DEEP BACKUP/DEVELOP

BIGS  (48 mins)        Wood,     Kleber                    Powell

CREATOR (96 mins)  Luka
                                             Dinwiddie               Dragic
                              Brunson
                                                                                                                   PLAYER 15
WING (96 mins)       DFS                                        Bertans
                                               THJ
                              Bullock                                   Green, Franky, Pinson

Add McGee or Drummond to the backup Bigs spot and let’s roll!
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 09:11 PM)Smitty Wrote: Add McGee or Drummond to the backup Bigs spot and let’s roll!

I'd do either on a one-year minimum.

But I suspect there's not enough minutes to interest either of them, as a 3rd-string center who only plays in somewhat of an emergency (to bang with a bigger center, or in case of injury to Wood or Kleber). Last season McGee got about 16 mpg and played almost every game, and Drummond about 20 mpg, and both played almost every game. Players want to play, not sit.

The more I think about it, the more I figure they are probably about set at C, unless they can swap Powell for just the right combo of ability, patience, big-ball skills, and healthiness. Might be a tough guy to find.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply