Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
However, I think he was trying to illustrate how those teams would prefer to acquire JB making a case for JB to be worth more than any old garden variety FA SnT.
Like Reply
(03-26-2022, 12:37 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: OKC could just outright sign Reddish to a 24M/per year RFA in FA and still comes out ahead financially opposed to the trade you suggested.

Brunson+ Kleber + Burke + Brown for Randle + Kemba + our 2023 pick seems sufficient.

Given how the Knicks have devalued Randle and seem intent to move toward a Zion/Barrett/Reddish future, I´d say he´s pretty much neutral value, especially given the cheap-ish contract.
Kleber is still a positive asset for a contender (especially as an expiring deal).
Creating capspace for an outright big offer Brunson signing would cost the Knicks roughly a 1st round pick.
Add a little negative value on the two year Kemba deal, so they have to take Burke and Brown on expiring deals.

Seems a fair deal all around, IF we have to lose Brunson.

This is a strong argument for doing everything we can to hold onto Brunson.

I'm struggling how Randle fits on this team?  He can't protect the rim.  He can't shoot.  He can't rim run.  Seems like his offensive game involves clogging the lane where our guards like to operate.  Don't think you want to run him out there as a center defensively, so that means another player clogging the lane.  I just don't see the fit.

I didn't think Din would be a fit either, so I could be totally wrong on this, but for a team who's biggest weakness right now seems like rim protection, sending Maxi out for Randle is going the wrong way.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • AgGiE1991, DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, michaeltex
Like Reply
I've been watching some Myles Turner videos, and I do have to say, I think he could be good enough at defending in space for the Mavs. Like he's not just hanging around in the paint, a lot of his defensive plays start with him defending on the perimeter, a smaller guy thinks he's past him, and then at the last second Turner comes from behind to block or alter the shot.

I guess my questions would be, will he be healthy, and would the Mavs even have assets to trade for him- those questions are probably related, so it then becomes a question of how much do you want to spend on someone who is a health risk? It's definitely tempting to think about what he could be like paired with Luka as the solo big.
Like Reply
Amaria Turner... due to the injury, we haven't been able to check how he would look like playing as the only 5... due to the pairing with Sabonis, he just occupied the paint offensively
Like Reply
about Randle..I think he has a very good skill set..athletic,very good rebounder,strong,very good passer and dribbler for the position,mobile enough to switch,even a very good defender when he's committed and doesn't have to carry so much load...but my eyes bleed seeing him as 1 handler, dribbling 20 seconds for a step back 3 and things like that...if he was willing to play a smaller role and play to his best virtues...it would be a huge improvement from talent for us
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikelorenzo's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
I don’t know what the advanced numbers say about him but I wouldn’t mind bringing in Hartenstein as a cheap big next year. I was hoping we would cut bait with WCS in the off-season and take a chance on him. But he’s a free agent again so he could be a low-cost option.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BasketballJones41's post:
  • Halfnir
Like Reply
Hartenstein definitely would be a great player to fill the cheap full-size center slot, replacing Chriss or Boban. Solid PnR big, high energy player. He was considered Germany's most talented big player since Dirk for some time and i think he's not had a chance yet to show his full potential (not comparing him to Dirk of course, Hartenstein is leagues below).
[-] The following 2 users Like Halfnir's post:
  • BasketballJones41, WillE
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1509054464858234880
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 07:16 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1509054464858234880
Maybe Maxi and THJ, but not 3 FRPs when DAL just got out of FRP desert.

After seeing the current team play, I think there are better options to improve with than a big who will cost so much. Thought we learned that lesson with KP.
[-] The following 3 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-29-2022, 11:54 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: I don’t know what the advanced numbers say about him but I wouldn’t mind bringing in Hartenstein as a cheap big next year. I was hoping we would cut bait with WCS in the off-season and take a chance on him. But he’s a free agent again so he could be a low-cost option.

Actually the advanced stats really like him.  I would be totally on board with spending one of the exceptions on him (like tax payer MLE) assuming we will even be able to do that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 08:44 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Maybe Maxi and THJ, but not 3 FRPs when DAL just got out of FRP desert.

After seeing the current team play, I think there are better options to improve with than a big who will cost so much. Thought we learned that lesson with KP.

There are probably better options for the money, but I feel like putting Gobert on this team makes them not only contenders, but possibly favorites.  No way you send out 3 firsts for that contract, but I would be totally fine sending out THJ, Maxi and our 22 first.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • Kammrath, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 10:54 AM)mvossman Wrote: There are probably better options for the money, but I feel like putting Gobert on this team makes them not only contenders, but possibly favorites.  No way you send out 3 firsts for that contract, but I would be totally fine sending out THJ, Maxi and our 22 first.

I’d probably go two picks and don’t mind a couple of pick swaps as well.  I agree with your assessment about being a favorite for several years if we added Gobert.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 10:54 AM)mvossman Wrote: There are probably better options for the money, but I feel like putting Gobert on this team makes them not only contenders, but possibly favorites.  No way you send out 3 firsts for that contract, but I would be totally fine sending out THJ, Maxi and our 22 first.

I also feel like that package is more than competitive for a guy who's contract could be considered one of the worst in the league. 

There's no denying Gobert's impact and he's a winning player. But 40+ mil for a guy who can't be even a 3rd option on offense and is generally not well liked in the league makes him quite the unappetizing contract.

I'd argue that we'd be better off going for Capela. Half as much money and does 60-70% of what Gobert does. I also think ATL would be particularly motivated moving off from him to make room for Okongwu and they would have a vested interest in bringing in a guy like Maxi.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 10:48 AM)mvossman Wrote: Actually the advanced stats really like him.  I would be totally on board with spending one of the exceptions on him (like tax payer MLE) assuming we will even be able to do that.
I’ve wanted us to take a chance on him for a couple of years now. Seems like he would be a good low-cost option to provide some size and rebounding.
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 12:34 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I also feel like that package is more than competitive for a guy who's contract could be considered one of the worst in the league. 

There's no denying Gobert's impact and he's a winning player. But 40+ mil for a guy who can't be even a 3rd option on offense and is generally not well liked in the league makes him quite the unappetizing contract.

I'd argue that we'd be better off going for Capela. Half as much money and does 60-70% of what Gobert does. I also think ATL would be particularly motivated moving off from him to make room for Okongwu and they would have a vested interest in bringing in a guy like Maxi.

You don't have to convince me of that idea.  I have been beating the Capela drum for a while.  I would argue a finishing lineup of Capela/DFS/Luka/Din/Brunson is a contender.
Like Reply
Offseason wish, get a wing like Siakam and a bigger body C.
Like Reply
"I spoke with four NBA executives who told me they believe Myles Turner can still get a protected first-round pick outside the lottery if he’s traded this offseason. When I asked the executives which teams they believe could try and trade for him, the usual suspects came up, including Charlotte, Toronto and Dallas.... I know if he does get traded, Dallas would definitely be one that interests him personally because that’s his hometown team."

https://hoopshype.com/lists/pacers-rumor...cky-rubio/
[-] The following 2 users Like Tyler's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, jdb152
Like Reply
(03-31-2022, 10:20 AM)Tyler Wrote: "I spoke with four NBA executives who told me they believe Myles Turner can still get a protected first-round pick outside the lottery if he’s traded this offseason. When I asked the executives which teams they believe could try and trade for him, the usual suspects came up, including Charlotte, Toronto and Dallas.... I know if he does get traded, Dallas would definitely be one that interests him personally because that’s his hometown team."

https://hoopshype.com/lists/pacers-rumor...cky-rubio/

Turner is definitely one to keep our eyes on. 

Personally, I'd prefer him to Gobert. But, I just have a hard time imagining Carlisle giving up on him. We know the coach is an admirer of his game. I suppose Turner's level of happiness with the situation in Indiana has a lot to do with it though.
Like Reply
(03-31-2022, 10:27 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Turner is definitely one to keep our eyes on. 

Personally, I'd prefer him to Gobert. But, I just have a hard time imagining Carlisle giving up on him. We know the coach is an admirer of his game. I suppose Turner's level of happiness with the situation in Indiana has a lot to do with it though.
Assuming Turner’s feet aren’t gonna turn him into KP 2.0, he is the most ideal fit as a C on our roster. There’s not a lot that I wouldn’t do to get him. I’d prefer to have him with Powell, but if he’s a part of the cost (RC might feel strongly about getting one of his creations there), there’s no doubt in my mind that is a large upgrade for the team.
Like Reply
(03-31-2022, 10:42 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Assuming Turner’s feet aren’t gonna turn him into KP 2.0, he is the most ideal fit as a C on our roster. There’s not a lot that I wouldn’t do to get him. I’d prefer to have him with Powell, but if he’s a part of the cost (RC might feel strongly about getting one of his creations there), there’s no doubt in my mind that is a large upgrade for the team.

Agreed. The upside of adding Turner makes him one of the targets that I'd deem worth integrating. As long as you have at least one of Powell/Kleber left to come off the bench, you're fine. 

My only hesitation with Turner is that he seems to have a little crazy in him. But, I'm not scared off.
Like Reply