Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
So whose decision was it to sign WCS for $4.1 mil this year?
Really need a process review so mindless crap like that doesn't happen again. At no point did that make any sense. Especially after trading for Moses and signing Boban
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 05:24 PM)Jym Wrote: So whose decision was it to sign WCS for $4.1 mil this year?
Really need a process review so mindless crap like that doesn't happen again. At no point did that make any sense. Especially after trading for Moses and signing Boban

It was team option left over from his previous contract, if memory serves. I think the Mavs gave him the 1+1 (lower salary guaranteed in year one and team option for $4.1 M in year two) the summer before last. 

FWIW, I thought WCS did ok for Carlisle in his safer defensive scheme. This has not been his year, however.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 05:11 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: We then send off THJ, DFS our 2022 first and our 2024 first for Simmons and Korkmaz (who became legal to trade today). 

Im one of the folks who cries about everyone trading off DFS all the time. But if Dorian can net you Simmons, then you gotta do it.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 05:26 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It was team option left over from his previous contract, if memory serves. I think the Mavs gave him the 1+1 (lower salary guaranteed in year one and team option for $4.1 M in year two) the summer before last. 

FWIW, I thought WCS did ok for Carlisle in his safer defensive scheme. This has not been his year, however.

I thought WCS was quite decent for the Mavs his first two years here and was obviously hot garbage this year. Given his extended absence, I would assume there were significant off-court reasons for that. 

The Mavs now go thirteen deep in usable non-gimmick players (Moses and Bobi are gimmicks): Luka, KP, DFS, THJ, JB, MK, DP, RB, MC, JG, FN, SB, and TB.
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 05:24 PM)Jym Wrote: So whose decision was it to sign WCS for $4.1 mil this year?

Actually once we decided to operate over the cap it made total sense (and shows that Cuban is not super cheap).  It was a team option and he was already here so we could sign him over the cap.  He had some defensive value the last couple of years but also his 4 mil salary could come in very handy in a TDL trade because its expiring (thus the drama around the Chriss signing).  Once we are over the cap, there was no downside to triggering the team option.  Had no effect on cap or anything else (just a roster spot, which turned out to be more valuable than would be expected).
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • AgGiE1991, Jmaciscool, Kammrath, Tyler
Like Reply

I was really surprised the option was picked up and he was brought back.  I thought for sure we would look to upgrade that spot.

But I am sure Dragic played into this decision and the Mavs made the decision his salary could have helped in a deal for Dragic.   

I have been rough on WCS for awhile.  I heard him interviewed last year and he came across as a really thoughtful guy.  I hope whatever he is dealing with is not serious.
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 05:40 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I thought WCS was quite decent for the Mavs his first two years here and was obviously hot garbage this year. Given his extended absence, I would assume there were significant off-court reasons for that. 

The Mavs now go thirteen deep in usable non-gimmick players (Moses and Bobi are gimmicks): Luka, KP, DFS, THJ, JB, MK, DP, RB, MC, JG, FN, SB, and TB.

I wouldn't call Moses a gimmick, just a project.  He is young and could turn into something eventually.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status...00832?s=21
[-] The following 5 users Like Tyler's post:
  • chaparral, DanSchwartzgan, Kammrath, khaled1987, michaeltex
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 05:54 PM)Tyler Wrote: https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status...00832?s=21

Mitchell Robinson, one of our garbage contracts and our pick back, please.
Like Reply
I would want assets that I can use to get a non Simmons Big Fish...either now or in the off-season. .
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 05:11 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: You may not think so after reading the below proposal as I'm about to send off two sacred cows in the same deal.  I'm just trying to further develop the benefits of getting our 2023 pick back...

We send off JB to NY and take back our 2023 and allow them to dump Walker to us (this helps get them space this summer).  They also get expiring Willie to help with LT exposure.

We then send off THJ, DFS our 2022 first and our 2024 first for Simmons and Korkmaz (who became legal to trade today).  That gets Philly closer to the kind of haul they've been looking for.  From our standpoint, it is THJ, DFS, Brunson and one pick (since trading JB is the thing that allows us to give Philly multiple picks).  

One of the big objections of sending JB to Philly is the small guys they already have in their back-court in Maxey and Curry.  Sending JB to NY for our pick fixes that.  Philly doesn't really need our picks.  There would need to be something else out there that allowed them to convert picks into win-now guys.

Maybe like Frank's deal.  Keep him two years and you have EB rights.

I was actually checking salaries on another site on your JB to NYK idea for our 23FRP back.  Had the same Idea of adding WCS for Walker when the Willy Chip was waved news broke.

Looks like Nico just talked Cuban into dumping salary to make the team better.  And yes, Chriss is the right choice right now this season as our back-up C.  So, maybe he can convince Cuban that adding picks is the correct path then adding LT or worse - avoiding flight risk (Dan's words).

Maybe things are starting to change in Mav's land?
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 05:57 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I would want assets that I can use to get a non Simmons Big Fish...either now or in the off-season. .

Jalen's value is still kind of limited since he is expiring.  Hopefully Nico and his agent have been in talks about the numbers they are expecting.  Based on how he is playing, I think he'll get offered a range that I wouldn't be comfortable matching unless you can dump THJ for an expiring.
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 03:28 PM)mvossman Wrote: I agree with your top three points, but I think you are under valuing some of the contracts.  Brunson and DFS are rentals but there a lot of teams over the cap and their bird rights have value.  I don't think THJ and KP are "upside down".  THJ is an established volume shooter and they get paid.  He also has a descending contract that can be very attractive in some cases.  I don't think he has a lot of positive value, but I think we could easily trade him for expiring if we wanted.  KP has value right now.  I'm not sure how much, but he is playing like a top 50 player.  His value takes a hit due to availability concerns, but he still has value.  Hell the way Powell has been thriving under Kidd's defensive system, I'm not sure it would take an asset to trade his contract either.

Fair point that Brunson has clearly played himself into a bird rights player, but I don’t think the Mavs could get enough for him. Either way, I’m glad they didn’t mess around with the MC situation for a futile pursuit of a big trade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • chaparral
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 05:54 PM)Tyler Wrote: https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status...00832?s=21

I would assume this is a Nico leak.

Let the bidding war for JB commence. Come one, come all, bring your best offer!
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ClutchDirk, hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 06:09 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I would assume this is a Nico leak.

Trading JB is objectively punting on this season unless a major shot-creator comes back directly in the deal. Hint: Dragic cannot replace what JB brings to the Mavs.
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 06:09 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I would assume this is a Nico leak.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT5LMqhaaz.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 06:12 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Trading JB is objectively punting on this season unless a major shot-creator comes back directly in the deal. Hint: Dragic cannot replace what JB brings to the Mavs.

Kemba for Powell?
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 06:13 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://media.giphy.com/media/xT5LMqhaaz.../giphy.gif

So, you'd rather the Mavs keep THJ than JB? 

Didn't know you hated the Mavs.

(01-15-2022, 06:13 PM)cow Wrote: Kemba for Powell?

via GIPHY

Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 06:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: So, you'd rather the Mavs keep THJ than JB? 

Didn't know you hated the Mavs.

via GIPHY

You wanted shot creation.  Smile

I'd also accept Kemba for Bullock just to get off the contract.  :p
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 06:12 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Trading JB is objectively punting on this season unless a major shot-creator comes back directly in the deal. Hint: Dragic cannot replace what JB brings to the Mavs.

Maybe, but that doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do if they've determined they can't/aren't going to re-sign him this summer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • cow
Like Reply