Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
I've honestly been preparing myself for the possibility that DFS could be moved ever since we picked up Bullock in the offseason. That really looked like a DFS insurance signing to me. Not to mention we also have Sterling Brown, Ntilikina, and Green actually looking like an NBA player. 

I suggested months ago that we might look into moving DFS and people were predictably just as resistant to it as they are now. I've said it before and I'll say it again, moving DFS doesn't mean you won't miss him or you want to just get rid of him, the point is that he is one of the few players on this roster that has real value around the league. You have to give something to get something in the NBA. 

If a package built around DFS could get us Turner, it would be difficult for me to say no. We all love Dorian, but ultimately he is a role player and we have to stop getting attached to role players if we're ever going to upgrade the roster.
[-] The following 7 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • ClutchDirk, DanSchwartzgan, ItsGoTime, Jmaciscool, Kammrath, SleepingHero, Tyler
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 03:46 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: I've honestly been preparing myself for the possibility that DFS could be moved ever since we picked up Bullock in the offseason. That really looked like a DFS insurance signing to me.

I think more wings, not less, is the NBA. And I think that the recent stretch of decent Mavs basketball featured that.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Not a good look to read about a „financial squeeze“ being what might force them to trade DFS/Brunson.

Can’t say I’m surprised though. Cuban hasn’t paid the tax in a long time and the terrible roster building over the last decade was bound to have serious repercussions.
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 03:46 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: If a package built around DFS could get us Turner, it would be difficult for me to say no. We all love Dorian, but ultimately he is a role player and we have to stop getting attached to role players if we're ever going to upgrade the roster.

Not me. For me, it would be super easy, watch:

[Image: 200.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 03:48 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I think more wings, not less, is the NBA. And I think that the recent stretch of decent Mavs basketball featured that.

I agree you need wings, but even without Dorian we still have quite a few. We have Josh Green and Frank Ntilikina playing minimal minutes and even getting DNP-CDs right now. Sterling has looked better lately as well. Increased minutes for all of them could help make up for the loss of DFS. 

I would love to keep DFS and trade THJ or KP instead, but they have pretty minimal value at the moment. Some tough decisions are going to have to be made eventually.
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 03:46 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: If a package built around DFS could get us Turner, it would be difficult for me to say no. We all love Dorian, but ultimately he is a role player and we have to stop getting attached to role players if we're ever going to upgrade the roster.

Didn't notice this part at first. I can agree that we shouldn't get so attached to a player that we can't upgrade the roster. But I don't think DFS for Turner upgrades the roster.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 03:57 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: I agree you need wings, but even without Dorian we still have quite a few. We have Josh Green and Frank Ntilikina playing minimal minutes and even getting DNP-CDs right now. Sterling has looked better lately as well. Increased minutes for all of them could help make up for the loss of DFS. 

None of those guys can do what DFS does at this point, much less improve on what he does. Josh might someday, except that I'm not sure he'll grow into playing the 4. Frank and Sterling can’t fill his shoes at all and don't project to be able to. You can't replace the better player by a "worse player committee" approach. I don't accept the "we have so few assets, so we have to trade him" mindset. If you have an actual keeper, then keep him. Find ways to IMPROVE the team rather than making it worse.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • dynamicalVoid, KillerLeft, Mapka
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 03:58 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Didn't notice this part at first. I can agree that we shouldn't get so attached to a player that we can't upgrade the roster. But I don't think DFS for Turner upgrades the roster.

Agree. I do think Turner is a better player but as long as KP is on the roster the Mavs have no need for another high minutes big. Losing DFS would create a giant hole in the rotation. DFS himself barely qualifies as a big wing. THJ, Bullock and Green don´t have the size to defend big wings. Mavs don´t need a throwback to the Wes Matthews vs KD matchups. They actually should look for another big wing and reduce DFS workload.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 03:58 PM)fifteenth Wrote: But I don't think DFS for Turner upgrades the roster.

It does to me if it prepares the way for KP being moved.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 04:08 PM)Kammrath Wrote: It does to me if it prepares the way for KP being moved.

I don't think losing KP and DFS for Turner improves the roster. Find a way to get Turner and get rid of KP without losing one of your keepers.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • dynamicalVoid
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 04:10 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't think losing KP and DFS for Turner improves the roster. Find a way to get Turner and get rid of KP without losing one of your keepers.

You don't think moving KP returns you a significant player or two? 

I am not suggesting a a DFS+KP for MT trade. I am suggesting DFS for MT. KP for.....
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime, mvossman
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 04:18 PM)Kammrath Wrote: You don't think moving KP returns you a significant player or two? 

I am not suggesting a a DFS+KP for MT trade. I am suggesting DFS for MT. KP for.....

Maybe I'm not understanding, or not being clear. I wouldn't do DFS for MT.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 04:20 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Maybe I'm not understanding, or not being clear. I wouldn't do DFS for MT.

Cool. Not saying you should want to. I would (though I would want to see other offers for DFS first) as a precursor to moving KP for a wing/guard.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 12:20 PM)Tyler Wrote: I feel like we’re being prepared for a DFS/Turner trade.

What a bad trade that'd be.

If that happens I don't know what cow would do.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 03:46 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: That really looked like a DFS insurance signing to me.
If that's the case, we are under insured.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 04:08 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I do think Turner is a better player
This is the point in a DFS for MT trade. Then like Kamm is writing, swap KP for Siakam and you have a chicken dinner! In both trades I think it takes more than our side's single player, but those as the principle to trade works very well, with minor assets to offset value.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
I'm listening to a live podcast with Jake Fischer right now. Unfortunately not much Mavs news that we haven't heard before. They mentioned they've heard DFS' name come up a lot lately in discussions. They also mentioned that it's an open secret that the Knicks really want Brunson. 

They did say that they think if DFS is moved then that would mean we're pretty confident that Brunson is coming back. And obviously the implication of that is if we think Brunson is going to NY then a DFS trade is pretty much a non-starter.

Fischer also mentioned that we're still holding out hope that Dragic is coming, we might look around for a trade for another wing, and he also anticipates WCS will be waived eventually for Chriss.
[-] The following 2 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Kammrath
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 04:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Cool. Not saying you should want to. I would (though I would want to see other offers for DFS first) as a precursor to moving KP for a wing/guard.

Gotcha. Are you seeing a reason why these two things would be connected? IF we could get a wing or guard that we want by trading KP, I'd be up for that. But I wouldn't assume that getting that wing or guard means that then trading DFS is a good idea. 

This discussion might come down to a difference in opinion on the importance of centers. The center would have to be a huge different maker for me to part with DFS, because I think he is a difference maker. I'd entertain John Collins if DFS was the only way to get him, for example.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
Something like DFS/Powell for MT I think is maybe a second or 2 shy of the difference between the two value-wise. Then KP/THJ for Siakam/Dragic might require us to get something back from Tor, like a second or 2.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Kammrath
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 04:37 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: What a bad trade that'd be.

If that happens I don't know what cow would do.

Yeah...the trade might be Turner for DFS/Cow/Killer/Fifteenth  

That might actually make the deal even more attractive to some folks around here!  Big Grin

(01-13-2022, 04:39 PM)michaeltex Wrote: If that's the case, we are under insured.

Yeah. I viewed it as the Mavs beginning to step into the present regarding roster building. It was just a few days ago that we were in awe of what a stable of long wings can do on a basketball court together. It was just a few years ago that we only had munchkins and bigs.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply