Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(01-10-2022, 08:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Irving is a nutcase but he might possibly be the most talented scoring guard of the last 20 years.

Just getting off the THJ contract, I wouldn't complain but I'm not sure you could convince him to stay....if you wanted him to stay.  I do wonder if he'll opt in or out next year.
Like Reply
I understand some of where the "don't trade KP" crowd are coming from, but to me, it's a Queen of Spades issue. You don't want to be holding that contract if he gets another major injury a la the ACL or meniscus.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Jommybone, mvossman
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 09:27 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I understand some of where the "don't trade KP" crowd are coming from...

I really don't at this point.  What are we at this season so far?  16 games missed?
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 09:32 PM)cow Wrote: I really don't at this point.  What are we at this season so far?  16 games missed?

I'm not going to blame him for having Covid when all of the rest of the team had it. As for the chronic minor injuries, that's the case with a lot of players. It's the risk of another major injury that's worrisome. Well, that and the chemistry issues, this year's poor shooting, etc. etc.
Like Reply
My only real objection to trading KP is the idea of addition by subtraction that some people seem to have
Nah I don't think that's true

But I'm open to sending him out for pretty much any starting level player regardless of position. We have so much roster flexibility that I think we could slide in basically any position and be fine

I don't trust him staying healthy through a playoff run. Even better if we could bundle an asset or 2 with him and get an even better player, but I'm fine with a marginally worse player who will actually be on the court contributing when it matters
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 09:27 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I understand some of where the "don't trade KP" crowd are coming from, but to me, it's a Queen of Spades issue. You don't want to be holding that contract if he gets another major injury a la the ACL or meniscus.

Like the Hearts reference.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Dahlsim
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 09:51 PM)Jym Wrote: My only real objection to trading KP is the idea of addition by subtraction that some people seem to have

But I'm open to sending him out for pretty much any starting level player regardless of position. We have so much roster flexibility that I think we could slide in basically any position and be fine

I don't trust him staying healthy through a playoff run. Even better if we could bundle an asset or 2 with him and get an even better player, but I'm fine with a marginally worse player who will actually be on the court contributing when it matters

We do have to get a starter back in return for sure. Two rotation players on smaller contracts would be good as well, or some salary relief along with the starter if the tax is an issue.
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 10:15 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: We do have to get a starter back in return for sure. Two rotation players on smaller contracts would be good as well, or some salary relief along with the starter if the tax is an issue.

That's completely useless. Luka's SuperMax kicks in next year and we are over the cap so bad that won't even matter in the scheme of things.

And we don't need ANY rotation players...we've got too many guards and wings that need time to give them all minutes right now...so that's a waste to trade him for that.

Dude, it's either a star wing or nothing.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 1 user Likes TXBamanut's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
I watched the last 8-9 minutes of the Celtics vs Pacers game plus overtime.  I missed 3 minutes of overtime.  But in regulation, Turner played around 30 seconds during the time I watched.  He got a possession when Sabonis got a break and was in at the last defensive possession.  He was cheering from the bench though.   It was a rough game to watch but sort of exciting late.    

Pacers had guys like Lance Stephenson, Torian Craig, some guys names Brissett and Sykes getting a lot of the closing minutes.  Not a murderous row.   Turner finished 2-7 for 6 points and 3 rebounds.   

Sabonis had a poor shooting night but most of the offense went through him and he had a triple double with 23 rebounds.
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 09:42 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'm not going to blame him for having Covid when all of the rest of the team had it. As for the chronic minor injuries, that's the case with a lot of players. It's the risk of another major injury that's worrisome. Well, that and the chemistry issues, this year's poor shooting, etc. etc.

He's still at 10 games missed if you don't count COVID which is fair.  His play isn't worth his contract if he's only going to play ~70% of your games.
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 10:44 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: That's completely useless. Luka's SuperMax kicks in next year and we are over the cap so bad that won't even matter in the scheme of things.

And we don't need ANY rotation players...we've got too many guards and wings that need time to give them all minutes right now...so that's a waste to trade him for that.

Dude, it's either a star wing or nothing.

Lol you aren't getting back a star wing for KP. My pipe dream is DeJuante Murray. If a star is your goal, then either you or many of the rest of us are going to be disappointed.
Like Reply
I'm watching the Blazers Nets game right now. 

First Covington is still an ELITE defender. So many possessions that don't show up on the box score where he affected Durant/Kyrie into a turnover or miss. He also has hit a couple of threes.

Nurkic looks a step slow but still has some great touch around the rim.

Kyrie looks a little rusty but sheesh he still can break down defenses and get a mid range shot whenever he wants.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1480759834119008259
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 11:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1480759834119008259

Then, dammit, just cut WCS and have done with it. Or, make a trade. 

I have a sickening feeling that it's not just about dead money or trade filler, but that something is going on with WCS which would make it somehow immoral to cut him. On the other hand, they cut bait on Tyrell.
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 11:36 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Lol you aren't getting back a star wing for KP. My pipe dream is DeJuante Murray. If a star is your goal, then either you or many of the rest of us are going to be disappointed.

Murray is a star, its just happening right now.  He is averaging nearly a triple double with over 2 steals a game right now on a great contract.  Don't think there is any chance of that.

But there are guys in the near star wing category that might be in range.  Guys like Hayward, McCollum, Tobias Harris, and even Simmons are in the realm of possibility.  I don't think I pull the trigger on any of those guys, but I am guessing that is the rough neighborhood right now.
Like Reply
Odds & ends:  Perhaps not at the level of a disorder, but I feel very real anxiety, wanting KP not to break before March 1.  Walking on egg shells for certain, hoping for a modest return on investment; someone sturdy and serviceable.  

My constant fantasy?  J Kidd grooming Ben Simmons to be what Kidd himself once was; a guard who could defend and rebound.  The 6'11" spoiled brat has averaged 8.1 rebounds in four seasons with a rep for defensive work.

Has our legendary 7 foot special advisor had that man to man yet with our boy wonder about nutrition, conditioning, etc.?

Coach Kidd seems to have a plan.

I'm excited by the quickness of Josh Green.

Doncic and Brunson are not intimidated by anyone.

Frank Ntilikina has a protective fan base.
[-] The following 1 user Likes WildArkieBoy's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/zapearsonNBA/status/...49318?s=20

https://twitter.com/alexgoldennba/status...09282?s=21

https://twitter.com/original_turner/stat...78082?s=21
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/uncagedbruh/status/1...os5mQTBS0Q&s=19
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 09:51 PM)Jym Wrote: My only real objection to trading KP is the idea of addition by subtraction that some people seem to have

It's counterintuitive, I know. But, how else do you explain what we're seeing now, in these games, lately? It's the best ball of the season on both ends of the court, and Luka isn't even playing well yet, by his standards.
Like Reply
(01-11-2022, 01:56 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's counterintuitive, I know. But, how else do you explain what we're seeing now, in these games, lately? It's the best ball of the season on both ends of the court, and Luka isn't even playing well yet, by his standards.

That you are looking at a very small sample (4 games).  That when Luka and others were out this team held on due mostly to Brunson and KP.  That early in the season the whole team was struggling, and Luka more than KP.  But mostly its the sample.  You can probably find a 4 game stretch in a season for just about every team where they look awesome.  That is just a really small sample to read much into.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply