Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(06-27-2022, 11:25 AM)omahen Wrote: Assuming this accurately presents Mavs view.

That's just a podcast ran by some super fans. They aren't plugged in any more than you or I. 

I do think there's a real possibility the Mavs could trade Jalen for a star down the line, but that's just par for the course for the NBA. You don't think NYK would look to trade Brunson after a year if they only win 30 games just like they are doing with Randle?

JB going to the Knicks just means what we've been repeating for weeks; either the Knicks offered more money and/or they offered him a lead role. In the case of the former, shame on Mark. In the case of the latter, you shrug your shoulders and shake JB's hand.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, nash_funk
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 11:43 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: That's just a podcast ran by some super fans. They aren't plugged in any more than you or I. 

I do think there's a real possibility the Mavs could trade Jalen for a star down the line, but that's just par for the course for the NBA. You don't think NYK would look to trade Brunson after a year if they only win 30 games just like they are doing with Randle?

JB going to the Knicks just means what we've been repeating for weeks; either the Knicks offered more money and/or they offered him a lead role. In the case of the former, shame on Mark. In the case of the latter, you shrug your shoulders and shake JB's hand.
Very well said. I will say, I’m not sure I blame MC all that much (at this point, previous points there is plenty of blame) if the contract he signs with NY exceeds a starting salary of around $25M.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 11:43 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: That's just a podcast ran by some super fans. They aren't plugged in any more than you or I. 

I've been saying this all along.  Brunson's natural position and greatest value is at starting PG.  If he wants to focus more on this for his first (and maybe last...  you never know) big contract, I understand and respect it.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 07:18 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Today is the last day to use the TPE.  Part of me wonders if we should be the team to help NY clear one more salary to get our 2023 pick back.  If Brunson is gone, what harm does it do?  NY is going to be able to move that salary whether we help them or not.  If he stays, we have another defensive player (either Noel or Burks) and are in a better position to use draft capital to improve the team. 

An interesting idea, but I don't think NY has to do anything until Brunson officially announces his decision.
Like Reply
Interesting. Monk averaged 14/3/3 last season, shooting almost 50/40/80.

If you could flip THJ for Holmes (for example) then sign Monk to the TP-MLE to replace most of Timmah´s production, that´s a pretty solid outcome.
Like Reply
I would start warming up to the idea of a Nerlens Noel return. Thoughts on Cam Reddish?
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 07:49 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If we were to do this, doesn’t it also help them to SnT JB for someone to allow them to keep more cap space for another signing? Let’s say they want more than the MLE to target someone they want that other teams can’t bid as high? Does it work that way? For example: we do the deal now for Noel and our first into our TPE. We then SnT JB (only because he chose them) for Burks and say Cam or Reddish (edit: Toppin, doh). Does that give them $15M more to spend on a FA they want?

The rational answer to all this, for BOTH teams imo, is to wait and see from here what JB decides.

If he picks NY, they get the rest of the needed room by a SNT for JB using Noel or Burks, along with the Dallas 1st. This is basically the same for NY as if they go out and attach a 1st rounder to Burks or Noel in order to move off salary to sign JB. Dallas won't say no, because NY will just go find someone else to do the deal if the Mavs won't help out and do that deal.

I think both teams should realize this is the outcome if NY wins out. It's a win-win to just wait-n-see. It keeps NY from having to clear more cap room speculatively, and works for Dallas too. That also avoids any BYC issues in the snt, since it is essentially a cap room trade (rather than a salary-match trade).

The real question is only whether the Mavs want Burks (given his surgery) or Noel (given his prior stop here) or neither.

"Does that give them $15M more to spend on a FA they want?"...No. They would be a cap room team, with the same opportunities and limits, no matter who they send Burks or Noel to.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 04:37 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Thoughts on Cam Reddish?

You make an interesting point.  NY doesn't have to get $25mm under the cap to offer a $100mm deal.  So, it doesn't have to be Noel or Burks.

I've got NY at about $105.66mm with the cap hold for Robinson which is $16.34mm worth of room.  Add Reddish as the outgoing and the room is $22.29mm and a four year deal is $95.8mm.  If you add McBride, room bumps to $23.85mm and the four year deal is $102.58mm (NY may have to add a minimum salary back which would end up with the Brunson deal being closer to $99mm).  

So, it could just as easily be Reddish/McBride as Burks or Noel.  To FG's point, does Dallas say no to that (even without a pick?).  McBride is a young and inexpensive PG with some defensive promise.  Having him would take some pressure off of paying Dragic the TP-MLE.  Reddish has the body to be that "wing" that has been mentioned as a team priority.  Who knows if he's any good, but he is that bump up in size from the Bullock/Green/Frank sized wings who can throw a body on a larger wing.

I'm not saying that is ideal by any means.  Just pointing out that there is a path to pretty close to $100mm that is Reddish based rather than Noel or Burks based.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 07:18 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I've thought about Monk, but as long as Hardaway is here, it doesn't make sense.  Hardy kind of projects to be Monk when he grows up.  

Today is the last day to use the TPE.  Part of me wonders if we should be the team to help NY clear one more salary to get our 2023 pick back.  If Brunson is gone, what harm does it do?  NY is going to be able to move that salary whether we help them or not.  If he stays, we have another defensive player (either Noel or Burks) and are in a better position to use draft capital to improve the team.  

A trade with NY seems counter-intuitive since it would be viewed as "helping the enemy".  I just don't see that it would make a difference to Jalen one way or another.  In fact part of the agreement, if Jalen leaves, might be to hold the signing open so we could combine his outgoing salary with other salaries as part of a larger deal.  I know this could be done after he agrees to leave, but since NY doesn't need us, what is the benefit of helping us.  In fact, if they have out pick, they benefit more by making that pick more middle of the pack than late 20's.

Darn. I thought we had more time. But yes, if we’ve determined that JB is leaving, we should be the team that completes the transaction.  Bringing back Burks and Burks alone is the best I think we can do anyway, so I’d don’t think we really need to use the TPE. NY will have an incentive to make that final move a sign and trade.  The Mavs have no leverage. JB will just get to decide which team he plays for.  The contract will be the same either way.
Like Reply
Jake Fischer is now saying Brunson likely headed to the Knicks via SnT.

(06-27-2022, 06:58 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Jake Fischer is now saying Brunson likely headed to the Knicks via SnT.

https://twitter.com/kevingraysports/stat...58117?s=21&t=ODWqKeCDop5NfWlmKAMD0A

https://twitter.com/bryangarcia888/statu...77184?s=21&t=ODWqKeCDop5NfWlmKAMD0A
[-] The following 1 user Likes VintagePejav2's post:
  • Fuerza1
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/letstalknicks/status...44933?s=21&t=hKTtI51E55z2Deam_e6z6g
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 07:17 PM)Smitty Wrote: https://twitter.com/letstalknicks/status...44933?s=21&t=hKTtI51E55z2Deam_e6z6g

What rumor is the right one?  Is he staying or leaving?
Like Reply
I know who doesn’t know. Fischer…
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • F Gump, Fuerza1
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 06:23 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: You make an interesting point.  NY doesn't have to get $25mm under the cap to offer a $100mm deal.  So, it doesn't have to be Noel or Burks.

I've got NY at about $105.66mm with the cap hold for Robinson which is $16.34mm worth of room.  Add Reddish as the outgoing and the room is $22.29mm and a four year deal is $95.8mm.  If you add McBride, room bumps to $23.85mm and the four year deal is $102.58mm (NY may have to add a minimum salary back which would end up with the Brunson deal being closer to $99mm).  

So, it could just as easily be Reddish/McBride as Burks or Noel.  To FG's point, does Dallas say no to that (even without a pick?).  McBride is a young and inexpensive PG with some defensive promise.  Having him would take some pressure off of paying Dragic the TP-MLE.  Reddish has the body to be that "wing" that has been mentioned as a team priority.  Who knows if he's any good, but he is that bump up in size from the Bullock/Green/Frank sized wings who can throw a body on a larger wing.

I'm not saying that is ideal by any means.  Just pointing out that there is a path to pretty close to $100mm that is Reddish based rather than Noel or Burks based.

No interest in either player.  If that is the deal on the table, then I think we outbid them significantly.  In my mind, they have to go the Burks/Noel route to get enough cap room where outbidding them gets in silly territory.  

Either one plus our 23 pick would be tolerable.  At that point we have all of our picks and might be able to get in on some interesting options (like Anunoby).
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 06:58 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Jake Fischer is now saying Brunson likely headed to the Knicks via SnT.

One more note about Reddish/McBride (instead of Noel or Burks).  Both Burks and Noel were rotation players last season.  So sending out either creates a hole in their rotation.  Neither Reddish nor McBride got much burn in NY.  If we were the team contemplating what we were going to send out for a player in a S&T, we would definitely want it to be players outside the rotation.  I suspect the same is true for NY.

If it ends up being Reddish and McBride, here is the roster:

Bigs:  Wood/Maxi/Powell
Big Wings:  DFS/Reddish/Bertans
Small Wings: Bullock/THJ/Green/Frank/Pinson
Ball Handlers:  Luka/SD/McBride/Hardy

That's 15 if Hardy makes the roster and 14 if he is a two-way.  We'd be at $166.5mm of salary for that 15 or $17.5mm into the tax.  Does anyone believe we'd spend the TP-MLE?
Like Reply
Whether he's staying or leaving, rumors that he's leaning towards NY were inevitable this week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jmaciscool's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 04:30 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Interesting. Monk averaged 14/3/3 last season, shooting almost 50/40/80.

If you could flip THJ for Holmes (for example) then sign Monk to the TP-MLE to replace most of Timmah´s production, that´s a pretty solid outcome.

We just drafted a poor man's THJ, so not sure why we would want to get another one, especially when THJ himself is not a good fit on this team.  Don't really think a traditional starting center like Holmes is on our radar either.
Like Reply
Fake Jischer reporting Jalen Brunson will retire from basketball and become the new mascot of the Dallas Stars.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Fuerza1
Like Reply

This is probably fake news. If Fischer really said this it would be all over twitter but I haven't seen a single other tweet about it.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 07:56 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: This is probably fake news. If Fischer really said this it would be all over twitter but I haven't seen a single other tweet about it.

https://twitter.com/_tradedeadline/statu...69024?s=21&t=vdz6Htbpvsxy_Eeos7Mrgw
Like Reply