Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(06-24-2022, 02:55 PM)omahen Wrote: Well, well. So now we have rumor that Brunson might prefer to be the lead guard. Coming from a very credible source, Stein is far from anyones mouthpiece. Something which was actually rumored before, but people chose to ignore it. I still hope Mavs are able to pull it off. 

Might prefer is a big fat "duh".  He's 25, almost 26, which is is fairly old considering how little he's made thus far in his career.  He's probably looking at two big contracts moving forward.  The one he's earned this summer and hopefully one last big pay day once he hits 30/31 (depending on length of this contract).  He probably likes everything about Dallas, but playing alongside Luka is always going to limit his opportunities.  Being the head of a snake for another team is going to inflate his stats and might get him a great pay raise for his next contract.  

It's why you can't write off the threat of New York even if the team is worse.  Jalen knows he can make that team better because he's a winner and that's his mentality.  He also showed he can lead a less than stellar cast of players minus Luka against a top seed in the West.  The East would be an easier path to playoff success.

My gut says he prefers to stay in Dallas but this is far from a done deal.  If he wants to maximize his NBA wealth, he'd probably be better off going elsewhere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:44 PM)cow Wrote: Might prefer is a big fat "duh".  He's 25, almost 26, which is is fairly old considering how little he's made thus far in his career.  He's probably looking at two big contracts moving forward.  The one he's earned this summer and hopefully one last big pay day once he hits 30/31 (depending on length of this contract).  He probably likes everything about Dallas, but playing alongside Luka is always going to limit his opportunities.  Being the head of a snake for another team is going to inflate his stats and might get him a great pay raise for his next contract.  

It's why you can't write off the threat of New York even if the team is worse.  Jalen knows he can make that team better because he's a winner and that's his mentality.  He also showed he can lead a less than stellar cast of players minus Luka against a top seed in the West.  The East would be an easier path to playoff success.

My gut says he prefers to stay in Dallas but this is far from a done deal.  If he wants to maximize his NBA wealth, he'd probably be better off going elsewhere.

Playing next to Luka really harmed his first big contract lol.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:33 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Someone correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is we would have to clear a butt ton of cap space to even do a S & T because it would hard cap us and we are a fair bit over the apron. So we're probably not getting Burks and Noel back for Brunson. 

The issue is an over the Apron team ‘receiving’ at player in S&T.  There isn’t a prohibition on sending out a S&T and receiving back assets that otherwise generate a legal trade.

A S&T can be done by an over the Apron team if the deal brings back less money than sent out OR if it ends with the team being under the Apron.  The former version would still hard cap us.  But, we are close enough to the Apron now that it isn’t hard to imagine a deal that ends with us being under (if we don’t spend the TP MLE).  So, if some version of Brunson to NY happens, some creative things might enter the discussion that were assumed illegal when we thought we were going to be $20mm-$30mm over the Apron.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • MrGoat
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:52 PM)Mapka Wrote: Playing next to Luka really harmed his first big contract lol.

It certainly harmed the potential of it, obviously.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 06:03 PM)cow Wrote: It certainly harmed the potential of it, obviously.

Absolutely. No way JB gets the contract he will get in a couple weeks without Luka being hurt against UTA. No way.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, MrGoat
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 03:58 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I doubt that the Knicks will clear any further capspace. They are in the threat zone now. If Brunson agrees to join them the first step will be to engage the Mavs in S&T talks.

Maybe Jalen is the target...and he probably is.  But I just keep wondering if this is a stealth attack for someone else for the Knicks.  What is the reasonable # they can get to using a few of those draft picks?   Maybe moving Fournier too?  As you say, can they stay where they are for now and then opening free agency either Beal or Lavine says he wants to sign with the Knicks.  Then they can work out a sign or trade or Knicks create the cap room.   

Beal has a monster payday for a guy who is probably top 20 in the league.   Lavine is younger but will he leave Chicago?   I just wonder if this is their endgame.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 06:10 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Absolutely. No way JB gets the contract he will get in a couple weeks without Luka being hurt against UTA. No way.

Funny and a little truth which is the success to any joke.  

I think reading my comments as a knock on Luka or Jalen are off base though.  If that draft went a little different and we ended up with WCj/JB instead of Luka, Jalen would have developed faster and had loftier stats.  Maybe he'd be looking at a max contract this go around.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
No matter what happens, the Mavs $h!t the bed with Jalen. He’s obviously been the second best player on the roster since his rookie year and should have been signed long term long ago.
[-] The following 2 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Fuerza1, loki
Like Reply
Dinwiddie + Noel + Kleber must be a pretty interesting package for the frontcourt challenged Bulls, if they are really hesitant to match max Lavine.

Wonder whether the Mavs/Knicks/Bulls could work something out.
Like Reply
All I can say is that I hope the Knicks organisation hates Randle as much as their fanbase. That this whole situation was/is as messy as reported. That the Knicks actually view him as a massively negative asset.

If we can get Brunson/Powell for Randle/Grimes, we might win this trade.

I think Grimes is the hidden prize here. 38% 3pt shooting on four attempts as a rookie and the Knicks were +5.1 points better defensively, when he was on the floor. That´s crazy for a rookie on a losing team, even if coached by the defensive mastermind Thibs. All S&Ts start with him.

Randle has been dying to play at home for his whole career. JJB was largely useless outside of Dallas /Puerto Rico, cause that´s where his heart was. I think this could unlock another level of Randle. 

The trade would imbalance our roster temporarily, but we´d still have a TP-MLE to fix some of that. Maybe Dragic comes here for the minium as a projected starter next to Luka and we can use the full TP-MLE on Gary Harris.

Finish the roster with Holmes for THJ?

Doncic/Dinwiddie/Ntilikina
Dragic/Harris/Hardy
Bullock/Grimes/Green
DFS/Randle/Bertans
Wood/Holmes/Kleber

Call me crazy, but I might like this outcome better than keeping Brunson. The depth is crazy and the 3&D versatlility on the wings with Bullock, DFS, Harris and Grimes would be special.
Like Reply
If the tea leaves are right and JB is heading to the Knicks, the Mavs should bite the bullet and be the team that facilitates the transaction rather than sit passively while New York clears the remaining needed space. It will be almost entirely on New York’s terms though. That would seem to mean that some combination of Burk, Noel, or Reddish would be the compensation. Those guys all actually have positive, though small, on court value and decent contracts, and are better than nothing. At this point, a good organization would know exactly where they stand, already know exactly what they will do, and make the necessary moves to prevent a total loss. Let’s hope Dallas is a good organization and can salvage something of this mess.
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 07:56 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: If the tea leaves are right and JB is heading to the Knicks, the Mavs should bite the bullet and be the team that facilitates the transaction rather than sit passively while New York clears the remaining needed space.

This presumes that JB has communicated this to the agent... who has communicated that to the Mavs. 

Which is why I'm not sure this whole idea that JB is interested in the Knicks isn't agent-driven for contract leverage (or even media driven).  We will find out soon enough.
Like Reply
It also depends on what tea leaves you prefer. Fischer saying he told teammates he’ll be back. Was that fabricated? Is the new report from stein to counter that as some sort of leverage for JB in negotiations?
Like Reply
The point is, while the public can speculate all it wants, the Mavs are the insiders here and better know what they have, what the can get, and how.  And then they act.  Otherwise, they’re just a passive chump being played by an agent and another organization. If Jalen is leaving, once New York makes those final transactions to clear space, it’s over for Dallas. The Mavs must be the team that cooperates with New York. And New York has so many ties to JB that they definitely know, so once they make those moves, it’s a done deal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 08:11 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The point is, while the public can speculate all it wants, the Mavs are the insiders here and better know what they have, what the can get, and how.  And then they act.  Otherwise, they’re just a passive chump being played by an agent and another organization. If Jalen is leaving, once New York makes those final transactions to clear space, it’s over for Dallas. The Mavs must be the team that cooperates with New York. And New York has so many ties to JB that they definitely know, so once they make those moves, it’s a done deal.

But none of that can happen until FA officially starts. I assume you're just acknowledging that within the first few hours of FA, we will officially know then end game.
Like Reply
Yes,  that’s when we’ll know, unless New York clears more salary between now and then. The Mavs already do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 08:25 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Yes,  that’s when we’ll know, unless New York clears more salary between now and then. The Mavs already do.

You´d hope so. They could already try to navigate Noel  to a team like the Bulls to get Coby White.

That would be the minimum return I expect

Brunson to Knicks
Noel to Chicago
White to Dallas

But knowing Cuban and his glorious win now veteran strategy, we´ll end up with Brunson (+X) for Fournier straight up. Not Randle, not Noel, not Grimes, not Quickley, not Robinson, not Reddish, not Rose, not Duren, not a future 1st. No Cuban will take Fournier. Just watch. Tongue

Also White is still just 22 years old. Not totally inconceivable that in three years, he´s a better player than Brunson is now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • jdb152
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 08:25 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Yes,  that’s when we’ll know, unless New York clears more salary between now and then. The Mavs already do.

Not just that they should know now. They should know that at least half a year ago. If they didn't know, they went in blindly accepting the risk he might leave. If he does, they lost the gamble. I don't think SnT can bring much. Dumping one year of Burks is protected FRP max. NY has many of those now.

Another thing - looking at the past, might be Brunson was quite insulted, if he really proposed a max possible extension and they declined because they wanted flexibility.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 09:14 AM)omahen Wrote: Not just that they should know now. They should know that at least half a year ago.

Can y'all clarify what y'all are saying the Mavs should know? They should have known that JB was leaving or not 6 months ago? Or something else?
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 09:16 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Can y'all clarify what y'all are saying the Mavs should know? They should have known that JB was leaving or not 6 months ago? Or something else?

I don’t know if they should have known six months ago the odds that Brunson would leave, but they should have known the quality of the player they have long before then and extended him.  But, right now, they definitely should know with great precision the likelihood that Jalen resigns and act accordingly (cooperate with New York to get some return before they find another partner).  I assume they are and are not just sitting by passively.
Like Reply