Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(05-28-2022, 10:21 AM)Tyler Wrote: So [in the hypothetical scenario where they trade away THJ plus pick 26 in June for nothing coming back] they can keep everyone but THJ, skip 4 [using the MLE], give Brunson $20mm (the exact amount he was rumored to want), and still work a S&T for Lavine? That's actually way more of a possibility than I assumed. Maybe there's something to the Stein rumors (beyond Nico just working to build favor with Rich Paul) after all.

The part about "still work a S&T for Lavine" would not be simple at all, even if the apron limit issue was already put to bed. See my comments to DanS above.

All by itself, a Lavine trade would probably take a super expensive amount of assets and leave holes everywhere (with no way to fix them), and to me that's a really big impediment. I just don't think Lavine would be worth it, when you add up all the assets you will have spent, and other glaring needs that don't get addressed, in order to do that deal.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, MFFL
Like Reply
Has Holmes fallen out of favor in SAC, where Powell (expiring) for Holmes (3 more years) would be welcomed? And if so, is Holmes good enough to work - or is he giving multiple years of "mediocre center play" rather than just one?
Like Reply
Holmes has been a much better rebounder and shot-blocker than Powell, and I suspect his mid-range floater game would work better in the playoffs than Powell's lobs-or-nothing offense.
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • F Gump, mvossman
Like Reply
(05-28-2022, 11:18 PM)F Gump Wrote: Has Holmes fallen out of favor in SAC, where Powell (expiring) for Holmes (3 more years) would be welcomed? And if so, is Holmes good enough to work - or is he giving multiple years of "mediocre center play" rather than just one?

SAC may be willing to make that move to get out of Holmes long term salary, but the real question is will another team offer more than an expiring Powell.  I think he would be an upgrade.  He is a better rebounder and rim protector than Powell, and before the disaster of this last season he was a quality starting center for a couple of years.
Like Reply
Branduil  
Holmes has been a much better rebounder and shot-blocker than Powell, and I suspect his mid-range floater game would work better in the playoffs than Powell's lobs-or-nothing offense.

If so ...

A case can be made that Powell could be a big help to SAC in their desire to get into the playoffs, in his energy and in helping them increase their work ethic to get better, as well as in adding the unnoticed positive things on the court that he does so well (such as screen-setting, and rolling to the basket). 

And from the Mavs pov, if you do that deal by June 27, you get a bit more than just a center who might be usable in the playoffs. If you get Holmes to limit his kicker to the right amount (or waive it entirely), that existing Mavs TPE comes into play. Using it in this trade comes without much change to their taxable salary in 2022-23, while also giving them a brand new TPE for about 11.1M to offer potential help in a future trade.
Like Reply
Compare Powell and Holmes

[Image: wreAqA1.png]
[Image: DlteFko.png]

Powell can only shoot right at the basket, his percentages past 3 feet are terrible. Holmes shoots well out to 16 feet, he actually takes more shots in the 3-16 range than at the basket.
Like Reply
(05-28-2022, 10:39 PM)F Gump Wrote: The one Lavine angle I can imagine is this -- I could see the teams both signing their own, and then in 6 months the PG-heavy Mavs and the SG-heavy Bulls swap Brunson for Lavine (in a deal where all the restrictions no longer exist), but I can't see a path in the summer.

Yeah generally speaking our whole future depends on re-signing Brunson. Whatever we do going forward, he has to be the trade asset in a future All-Star player trade. He´s literally the only option we have right now.

Add PF/C Liddell and C Koloko via the draft.
Add Jalen Smith via the TP-MLE.

We develop Green, Ntilikina, Liddell, Koloko and Smith. We take 12 months to figure out whether one or more of them could be viable long-term options, maybe even starters. 

Next summer our whole outlook is completely different. Kleber, Powell, Burke, Brown, Boban, Ntilikina, Chriss and even Green (club) are expiring contracts. Dinwiddie and Bullock enter the final years of their contract with (heavy) partial guarantees already.

Our 2023 draft pick has been converted, so we are free there, too.

If Jalen Smith puts up 14/10/1.5 blocks next regular season at age 23 (which I find pretty likely playing next to Luka), he becomes a valuable trade asset. That means 12 months from now Gobert would cost a whole 1st round pick less, simply because you added a young player via the MLE this summer. Dinwiddie´s contract is also easier to swallow for salary matching purposes, cause it´s now an expiring with a partial guarantee.

This is not the big fix it  summer. This is the set-up summer. This is the summer to not screw up the opportunity for the big summer of 2023.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I'm torn on LaVine. He would be more dynamic than any player Luka has gotten a chance to play with. Really good shooter too and a capable secondary creator. I think he would help supercharge our offense which could use some help. I don't like that he's coming off of a knee surgery, though. And I still think we need to find a rim protection upgrade in the worst way
Like Reply
(05-28-2022, 11:18 PM)F Gump Wrote: Has Holmes fallen out of favor in SAC, where Powell (expiring) for Holmes (3 more years) would be welcomed? And if so, is Holmes good enough to work - or is he giving multiple years of "mediocre center play" rather than just one?

Sac may want to get out from under him,  as he has a domestic abuse case hanging over his head.
Like Reply
(05-29-2022, 10:54 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Sac may want to get out from under him,  as he has a domestic abuse case hanging over his head.

That case was dismissed earlier this month and Holmes was awarded full custody of his son.

If we’re going after Holmes I would hope our first offer is Burke/Brown/Boban instead of Powell. We need upgrades in the front court but if the Kings just need cap relief this would give them the most financial relief (someone can correct me if those contracts don’t match but I believe they did last I checked) and we could keep Powell as a backup which is crucial knowing Maxis injury history. This also opens up spots for our draft pick as well as a tax payer MLE contract. We keep on talking about adding players but we also need to realize that resigning Brunson gives us 15 under contract before we even get to the draft.

Another option would be Hardaway for Holmes/Harkless which would also give us a little better offensive option behind DFS/Bullock than Frank/Josh.
[-] The following 4 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • AgGiE1991, F Gump, MrGoat, Tyler
Like Reply
(05-29-2022, 12:01 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: That case was dismissed earlier this month and Holmes was awarded full custody of his son.

Thank you for sharing that update. I always hate it when people get branded by a mere accusation and the exculpatory evidence isn't as widely known.
Like Reply
(05-29-2022, 12:01 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: That case was dismissed earlier this month and Holmes was awarded full custody of his son.

If we’re going after Holmes I would hope our first offer is Burke/Brown/Boban instead of Powell. We need upgrades in the front court but if the Kings just need cap relief this would give them the most financial relief (someone can correct me if those contracts don’t match but I believe they did last I checked) and we could keep Powell as a backup which is crucial knowing Maxis injury history. This also opens up spots for our draft pick as well as a tax payer MLE contract. We keep on talking about adding players but we also need to realize that resigning Brunson gives us 15 under contract before we even get to the draft.

Another option would be Hardaway for Holmes/Harkless which would also give us a little better offensive option behind DFS/Bullock than Frank/Josh.

I think the Mavs would be more inclined to offer cap relief that is "length of contract" but less inclined to take on pure salary increase in 2022-23 because of the tax implications. It would cost the Mavs a multiple of several times as much to have the extra salary, as it does the Kings. The potential use of the MLE is probably lessened if salary is increased in such a trade, due to the tax, even though you opened up a roster slot.

If you want to open a roster slot, imo the best route is something like sending them Powell + Brown for Holmes, which both lessens immediate salary and also clears a roster spot. It also could create a new TPE, which might be helpful in acquisition of a different player later.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Hypermav, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply

Those 3 for 1 deals don’t happen often especially when the three are pretty much deadweight. I can’t imagine Sac having interest in that.  If they want to move Holes and clear salary, I would ask for Maxi.  Maxi is not guaranteed but can also be moved to another team.  I think Maxi will come up in most our our trade conversations with other teams.  Not as the gold piece but as an attractive asset.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
Would Mavs have any interest in bringing Isaiah Roby back? Might be had for cheap since Thunder have several lottery picks to make room for.
Like Reply
Agreed that the 3 for 1 deal is unlikely for all the reasons stated. Guess just pointing out the best path for us to obtain Holmes and clear some roster spots if we were willing to spend the cash. Also agree the kings have little interest in those players aside from the financial relief (although I could see Burke carving out a role behind Fox there).

I wouldn’t be surprised by a move where Hardaway is going out, whether to the Kings or to a third team and Holmes/Harkless are coming back. I think that Harkless isn’t great but fits the mold of what we’re looking for as a wing and Holmes is an immediate upgrade. Would just need to move/waive Burke and Brown to create space for a draft pick as well.
Like Reply
(05-29-2022, 02:47 PM)nirvana Wrote: Would Mavs have any interest in bringing Isaiah Roby back? Might be had for cheap since Thunder have several lottery picks to make room for.

Probably not. Been there, done that.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...7575124992
Like Reply
(05-29-2022, 06:53 PM)SamStetz Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...7575124992

Not sure how wise it is to use two roster spots on cheerleaders, but I guess they've made worse decisions. 

Assuming they keep the 1st round pick, Burke and Brown would have to be on the way out to clear enough roster spots. And if they want to use the taxpayer mid level I would guess that Chriss is on the chopping block next. Of course, a trade could shake this all up.
Like Reply
(05-29-2022, 07:17 PM)loki Wrote: Not sure how wise it is to use two roster spots on cheerleaders, but I guess they've made worse decisions. 

Assuming they keep the 1st round pick, Burke and Brown would have to be on the way out to clear enough roster spots. And if they want to use the taxpayer mid level I would guess that Chriss is on the chopping block next. Of course, a trade could shake this all up.

Well, makes sense if the other two cheer leaders (THJ and DP) are outgoing.
Got to keep someone like ém.
Like Reply
Just wildly speculating here but I think Boban may have some positive value in practice cause he's such a big dude. JB is a giant killer. Luka usually doesn't have much issue scoring on bigs in the paint either. They probably learned how to do that by practicing vs Boban & KP. Once JB proved he can score on playoff Gobert it's pretty safe to say he can score on any big. Josh Green needs to steal some of JB's notes tho.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jakeospikez's post:
  • Jommybone, SleepingHero
Like Reply