Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
2021-2022 MAVS NEWS: 4th in West | WCF loss [ARCHIVED]
Be nuts not to trade Maxi for Markannen.  The upside of Lauri is so unbelievably higher than Maxi's that it boggles the mind that it's even a discussion.
[-] The following 5 users Like Moviemavguy's post:
  • BasketballJones41, BigDirk41, DallasBasketball, haveitall, SwisherPrice
Like Reply
Some Bulls fans online would prefer to get Powell...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-16-2021, 11:10 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: Awww..Markie Post died a few days ago...

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! She was the most underrated hot woman of the 80's.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(08-16-2021, 03:06 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Some Bulls fans online would prefer to get Powell...

I'd say they can have him, but I think the goal is to get both Dragic and Lauri.  Need pieces for both.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moviemavguy's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
I dont trust Cato's sources in general regarding trades. But he only said CHI is interested in Kleber. Who knows what the Mavs stance is on losing Kleber, and paying Lauri way above the TPE. Do they even want him for a contract above the TPE?

And would they want to lose Maxi. When Stein dropped the Lauri news a week ago, he mentioned the TPE. TPE Deal = no Maxi
Like Reply
30-40 percent chance, I don't know how to quantify that in terms of a reporters hearsay.  Do I focus on the 10 percent between 30 and 40, or do I look at the the 60 or 70 percent chance nothing happens.  

Basically, this is non-quantifiable cow poop other than the Mavs are interested at the right price.  Sorry Cow.
Like Reply
(08-16-2021, 02:03 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: Then you have a really high hope/expectation for LM. Is there a way for you to explain how good you think LM is? 

I wish I watched more basketball. I cannot say what I think. But I watch Maxi and consider him a sure bet. So if we give up on a sure bet, what do you believe LM can provide?

1) I think Maxi is already at his ceiling, which is a good NBA player, fringe starter.

2) I think LM's ceiling is a 3rd banana on a championship team. 

3) I think LM already has the single most important elite skill in the NBA: shooting. He shot 48%/40%/83% this past season. 

4) I think LM has potential to be a neutral defender (holding his own) and I think he has potential to expand his offensive game and be a better roll man and even generate some offense. 

5) I do think LM could fizzle out and not really ever get much better than he is (fringe starter), but I think giving up Maxi (if you HAVE to) is a no brainer IMO.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BasketballJones41, ItsGoTime, michaeltex, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1427377977860378625
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/14...4122514433
Like Reply
Question 1- if the asking price was relatively the same for either Lauri and Dragic and the Mavs could only trade for one at this point, which one would you choose?   

Question 2- If Dragic stays and lets say after the trade deadline Dragic and John Wall is bought out.   Which one do you target?  Maybe the Luka/agent connection makes this moot, but lets just focus on pure talent for this question.
Like Reply
(08-16-2021, 05:10 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Question 1- if the asking price was relatively the same for either Lauri and Dragic and the Mavs could only trade for one at this point, which one would you choose?   

Question 2- If Dragic stays and lets say after the trade deadline Dragic and John Wall is bought out.   Which one do you target?  Maybe the Luka/agent connection makes this moot, but lets just focus on pure talent for this question.

1. Lauri and it isn’t close.
  2. Depends on how well DSJ and Ntilikina are playing!
Like Reply
(08-16-2021, 05:10 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Question 1- if the asking price was relatively the same for either Lauri and Dragic and the Mavs could only trade for one at this point, which one would you choose?   

1. Markkanen, with Luka's approval.

2. Dragic every time for me.
Like Reply

Dragic is my answer to both questions.
Like Reply
(08-16-2021, 04:20 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 2) I think LM's ceiling is a 3rd banana on a championship team. 

3) I think LM already has the single most important elite skill in the NBA: shooting. He shot 48%/40%/83% this past season. 

If this is what Mavs think also then we are surely going to give up more than TPE + SRP. So we can pretty much forgot that one. 

And if he is this good we probably have to go all the way to Green + Maxi for Markannen. And if we have said yes to that and 15M, what in the world is the hold up?
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply

1. Dragic fills a more pressing need.

2. It's a tough call.  Wall is probably the better player.
Like Reply

Very good questions. I would go for Lauri at number 1. I guess I can always target a bought out old PG later in the season. As for Wall vs Dragic, I would take Goran. Wall might be more talented but I would have more trust in Goran as vet leader.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
https://theathletic.com/2768084/2021/08/...-harrison/

Some extremely interesting tid-bits here from Cato regarding Dragic and Markkanen. 

"wrote much more about the Goran Dragic situation last week, and I still believe it’s more likely the Mavericks hold out for a buyout than trade for him now given Toronto has no reason to waver on its desire for prospects back. But that’s an intriguing idea I hadn’t yet considered.

Another critical domino is the team’s interest in Lauri Markkanen, which Marc Stein reported last week. I’m underwhelmed by Markkanen as a core part moving forward, but curious in a three-year deal — the minimum number of years needed for a signed-and-traded player, which any deal bringing him here would have to be — under his market value.
Chicago isn’t incentivized in helping the Mavericks for no cost at all. If Markkanen agrees to the qualifying offer, he could still be a rotation player and an interesting trade target around the deadline on a one-year, $9 million deal. While players who sign qualifying offers automatically earn no-trade clauses, Markkanen knows his future isn’t in Chicago and probably would approve a right trade to a contender.

Dallas could offer Markkanen, say, a three-year deal worth $44 million and send back about $10 million in offsetting salary in a direct trade not involving its TPE. I’ve heard Chicago has interest in Kleber; it’s a riskier deal for Dallas giving up both a rotational player and signing Markkanen to a higher salary point"

I love me some Maxi but if it's between Maxi or Lauri I'd be fine with trading him. He's proven to be a valuable regular season player with good defense, but has disappeared twice now in the playoffs when all the Mavs needed was for him to hit 2 threes a game. 
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Kammrath, michaeltex
Like Reply
(08-16-2021, 03:36 PM)sefant Wrote: I dont trust Cato's sources in general regarding trades. But he only said CHI is interested in Kleber. Who knows what the Mavs stance is on losing Kleber, and paying Lauri way above the TPE. Do they even want him for a contract above the TPE?

And would they want to lose Maxi. When Stein dropped the Lauri news a week ago, he mentioned the TPE. TPE Deal = no Maxi

Tyler had a fantastic idea that nets both LM and GD for the same $14.4ish of out going salary.  To review, the outgoing salary matches Dragic, but not all of it goes to Toronto.  Some piece goes to Chicago and Markkanen fits into our TPE on a three year deal.  Tyler’s presumption was Powell, Josh and Moses after hearing the aggregation theory Hollinger put out there.

I’ve tried to add to the conversation saying there are Maxi based deals that also work.  Again, some salary goes to Chicago and some goes to Toronto.  We can come up with a dozen different versions that work.  The specific deal isn’t the point.

Some will say, “but wait, isn’t LM demanding $15mm”?  That ship has sailed.  Plus, if that were the deal, it would be done by now.  You can match LM with Maxi and get him a deal averaging $15mm.  No need to wait and no need to aggregate Moses.  In fact, there is a way to send Maxi and Moses together right now without it being an aggregated deal as Chicago has a TPE to cover Moses.  But that isn’t the holdup or it would be done.  The holdup is they are trying to do a two-fer with Moses part of the outgoing.  That deal has to either be aggregated or you need bodies or salaries that aren’t attractive to one at least one of the parties.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasBasketball, Kammrath, Tyler
Like Reply
(08-16-2021, 06:09 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Tyler had a fantastic idea that nets both LM and GD for the same $14.4ish of out going salary.  To review, the outgoing salary matches Dragic, but not all of it goes to Toronto.  Some piece goes to Chicago and Markkanen fits into our TPE on a three year deal.  Tyler’s presumption was Powell, Josh and Moses after hearing the aggregation theory Hollinger put out there.

I’ve tried to add to the conversation saying there are Maxi based deals that also work.  Again, some salary goes to Chicago and some goes to Toronto.  We can come up with a dozen different versions that work.  The specific deal isn’t the point.

Some will say, “but wait, isn’t LM demanding $15mm”?  That ship has sailed.  Plus, if that were the deal, it would be done by now.  You can match LM with Maxi and get him a deal averaging $15mm.  No need to wait and no need to aggregate Moses.  In fact, there is a way to send Maxi and Moses together right now without it being an aggregated deal as Chicago has a TPE to cover Moses.  But that isn’t the holdup or it would be done.  The holdup is they are trying to do a two-fer with Moses part of the outgoing.  That deal has to either be aggregated or you need bodies or salaries that aren’t attractive to one at least one of the parties.

Question (in my best Dwight Schrute voice)... When you say two-fer, in the above scenario, we are sending out more than 2 players and getting Dragic AND Markkanen back?  Then we would have one roster spot open when the dust settles in that scenario?
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
Only 15 more days until we know who will be on the team and who will be gone...

https://media.giphy.com/media/LNtWtEzLo4.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply